Tokens - Ways to Gain Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, May 15, 2014.

1. i made my comment into a video :p
    will post it here and on my youtube in 20min or so :D
  2. Great ideas overall. Thanks for letting all of us give some feedback.
    I do see your point in 'farming' ores. I was just trying to think of what I typically get in one night enraged hunting vs a typical night of mining. Would be nice if either 'method' equated to similar tokens.

I know we are in good hands and cant wait to see how this pans out!
    Everything on EMC has been improving over these past few months, and I have much confidence.

I agree that being supporter should not give any extra tokens. I am a supporter not to get free stuff, but to try and give back to a community that I believe in, and spend much time with. The little extra perks are nice, don't get me wrong. But I wish to live without any extra tokens for my support.

~See 'yall in the mines.
  3. please don't do that... sorry but video is not an appropriate feedback mechanism. Please post in text.
    coolblox100 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. That would be a nice end goal.

Let me re-clarify that current token bonuses are not final. I set some initial numbers in place to see how things pan out, then we can adjust accordingly.

I need real world data on how often enraged are killed vs bosses are killed etc, then we can balance around that :)

More and more token sources will be added. This is just where we are initially :)

Though, I do want a larger scale, so bosses giving 2k is likely where they will stay, the trick will then be to find "how many enraged should be considered similar effort as killing momentus" to balance the token gain out.

Then balancing normal mob @ high difficulty gain around that in similar effort too, then finally, not a 1:1 but a comparative to effort scale for mining too.
  5. If I remember, there has been talks of something similar to an Empire Quest/Job Board.. Unless I have only been dreaming of such a thing existing.. But why not have something like have "token" quests, where players do a quest for various rewards or tasks.. Although, now that I think about it such a system would require alot of work, and I don't know if it would be feasible or even doable in Vanilla.. T-T ..But if it were possible, you could do like kill x number of mobs in x difficulty, mine x number of natural diamonds/emeralds (If its possible to distinguish between naturally spawned and player placed blocks), survive x number of nights on x difficulty, kill x number of mini-bosses, etc.. There could also be like an Empire "Store" of sorts where we can exchange rare drops, such as mob heads, marlix gear, toothpicks, dragon stones (and fragments), Shiny flesh/arrows, etc. for x amount of tokens. The more common items like heads and shiny stuff could be worth a couple of tokens based on the difficulty of getting said items and the rarer stuff could be worth more, but with like the weapons and armors, have the trade-in value scale down the more damaged it is.. Like say someone uses a toothpick to the point of near breakage, they would get a percentage equal to the total durability remaining on said toothpick.. Just ideas.. :oops:
    MrsWishes likes this.
  6. This makes no sense. Its a "currency" that you cant trade or use. That, by definition, is not a currency. Its just something that you acquire.

Also you state that there is now a bigger bonus for groups, yet tokens are decreased by 33% when in a group. So the incentive is to be alone?

I'm failing to see what the point of all this is, other than perhaps a distraction from dragon tombs or other things.
  7. Pretty nice stuff, a bit on topic but, when will your token balance be visible on the web?
  8. You guys are great at making a simple idea complex (the reason why the shop still isn't set to buy no doubt).

What is the difference between how you earn fragments (DT 1/4) and tokens (DT 2/4)? None - go kill the same stuff. So where was all the concern over how to "earn" fragments when they were introduced even though they are going to be an integral part of DT and the future of EMC? There was none....because they are considered property to those that earned them, to be bought, sold, and traded as they please. As such, anyone can acquire them, usually through a rupee or product transaction, good for buyer and seller. Everyone is happy.

But unlike fragments, we're being told that tokens aren't transferable*. The player that owns (earned) them, isn't allowed to sell or trade them to the player who is adept at running a shop, or the player who likes to mine for ores or chop trees. So instead we ponder all the ways on how to turn this into a system that rewards players tokens for...well, anything and everything that involves clicking the mouse - as long as you do it yourself. Weee, player x earned a token for mining 100 blocks while player y just earned 46 for killing an enraged creeper. What a nightmare for a coder to try and compare and reward two such unlike activities!

The simple solution is to treat tokens as property, the same as fragments. I earned them - I deserve to be able to sell and trade them - they are mine, not the Empires, not admins, mine. Every player can continue to do what they do best in the Empire, knowing that if they are industrious, and active, they too can "earn" tokens through the market.

The first idea was the best idea - kill the special mob unique to EMC and earn tokens. The only thing that is needed is the ability to get them to the people. Make them property and use the markets. Spare us the coding ordeal.

Oh, and get that shop set up to buy.

* Tokens will technically be transferable to a certain extent through the purchase of sponge with tokens and subsequent sale/trade for rupees/products.
    Pab10S and EffinBatman like this.
  9. very well written MatthewDA
  10. I love these 2 ideas because i am an active user and would love to be rewarded for the amount of time i play
    AlexChance likes this.
  11. all the ideas Aikar listed sound pretty good, I think this is a really cool addition. BTW passed my 730 day mark!
  12. You are able to trade them in for something.
    AlexChance likes this.
  13. This is a pre-req to DT as DT will also be giving Tokens... Essentially, DT Token reward scale will be equiv/close to what the Dragon Egg will cost to redeem.

This needed to come out earlier rather than last minute so we can have these discussions we are having now and properly balance the system.

As said above, you are able to exchange them for rewards, so they are a currency... currency is not defined as an item for free trade between individuals.

And in the grand scheme of things for grouping, there is overall MORE tokens being earned in a group.

If you need X Sponge for a group build, it will be quicker overall to farm the tokens in a group than it would be solo if your playing together... the other option is to play on separate servers solo... but that isn't as fun.

It's your decision on how you want to play, solo farm them or have a little more fun and group farm them.
  14. Dragon stone fragments are for gaining access to dragon tombs(as far as I know), where as tokens are going to be used for a huge range of other things.

Couldn't agree more, I'd love more people to compete for highest posting members positions with ;)
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. To allow free trade defeats the entire purpose of the system.... And it would be easier to just use rupees instead.

Tokens are designed to be earned by the player themselves, and unable to be purchased, otherwise that gives all of "Rich" players and Supporters an advantage over others when it comes to Tokens.

I've already shut down the idea of supporters getting a daily bonus, and the other suggestion of a "bonus gain" would be minor at that and not game changing, and that itself isn't even set in stone.

We're aiming for a fun experience here, and with the plan we have, tokens can be considered a "fair" system, one that all of the existing rich players did not get a massive head start on.

If we did as you said, tons of players would immediately be able to just straight up buy Dragon Eggs without any work.

Dragon Eggs are intended to be a reward for those who put in the effort to go through the Dragon Tombs... Tokens is a gate way to help protect that level of effort required.
  16. Get 10,000 Tokens for being struck by lightning.

But onto more serious suggestions. The thing I am seeing here is that so far this topic is 3 pages of the same thing, that being mining and traveling mostly. We need to break out of the box a bit and get really deep into some other ideas.

So this idea is big, it's way out there and heck I haven't even thought the whole thing through, but that's the point moving conversations in new directions and get people thinking outside the box. So follow me here;

A new SMP with 1 res per person that isn't connected to your own personal count (so if you are a diamond supporter say and have 4 plots already you can still jump in and get one here). You could build some sort of minigame, or puzzle or even a parkour course. You get a mod to check it out and see if it's "approved" for earning tokens. Build is shut off on the plot for everyone, and some sort of reward system is put in for people who take part in it.

The idea behind it is that you could in a very short time with the power of the community behind it, end up with an entire SMP of games and fun activities to do that can earn you tokens. Where a player could just pop in and go up and down all the resses and just explore and play random games or parkour courses and so on and earn some tokens that don't really feel so grindy, but earned through solving a tricky puzzle or something.

There would of course have to be some more strict rules to avoid abuse, such as disabling placing signs completely on that SMP so there is no way players can make teleports. Also setting locations on the res to just teleport to the end. Also just a general limit to how many times you can 'complete' a res challenge per hour, so if someone makes a puzzle map and you figure it out the first time you can just blow through it over and over. But really there isn't that many things that would allow you to cheat other then those few things.

I was mainly just trying to think of a way to earn tokens outside of just the basics. I tried the killing mob side of things and it's just a grind. Even if you put in earning them from mining that's just blah. Events? Easy to miss. There needs to be something that is fun and community based, that is just crazy and out there. Something you can jump into anytime and earn some tokens with some challenge behind it but also that is fun and just generally interesting.

That was the best thing I had come up with. But maybe someone else can come up with something better or something else completely different. I just feel like the mob stuff and mining stuff is a beaten horse at this point, and I know Aikar is already working on the pros, cons and specifics of those ideas already. I think we should aim more in this direction now, to something that is more out there.

But that's just my 2 cents. Pretty cool update so far though. :)
    MrsWishes, chickeneer and mba2012 like this.
  17. ^That sounds a bit like the old arenas server. I quite like the idea :p
  18. I think I understand your point, but saying "without any work" is not fair, because it took a lot of work and time to earn the rupees most of the rich players have.
    highlancer54, Pab10S and MatthewDA like this.
  19. I understand it was a lot of work, but lots of effort and work into 1 area of the game should not imply earning rewards from another aspect of the game.

Someone who puts tons of effort to build something massive in the wild, construction wise, still has to work their way up when they go to town and run a shop.