Tokens - Ways to Gain Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, May 15, 2014.

1. Just to clarify, tokens can be earned from mining?
  2. Not yet. This is discussion for hour to obtain tokens. And mining has been mentioned as an option
  3. Ok, thanks.
  4. Cool you like attack on titan :D
  5. Hey my B-Day was on April 27th, does that mean I get tokens? lol
  6. I'm thinking over the combination of "getting tokens" and "playing your way."

As it is now, I can't play the way I want to and get tokens. I do not leave town, I don't participate in pvp or events, and I don't sell anything. Which leaves me with two answers:
    1. my playstyle is just invalid.
    2. we use a system akin to how Rupees were before the stipend update.
    I don't particularly like either of those answers, for a variety of reasons. Chief among those is that, well, I'm getting tokens for doing something that amounts to nothing. If I just left my computer I'd get the same amount of rupees as I do by building and talking.

(Before you say "but we know if you're afk" I have my doubts about the fidelity of the away system)

Of course, me not getting tokens completely invalidates the way I play EMC. If I don't get tokens for playing how I like to, it's because what I'm doing isn't as important as mining, fighting, selling or anything like that. Maybe it isn't, but I'd like to think that the people who buy all their materials and build all day have merit.

Do I not deserve tokens for engaging in conversation while I build things nobody will see? Some of the things I could buy with tokens (read: sponge) have no use other than building. Since it is functionally impossible to distinguish me from some guy who is faking activity... well, I guess I don't get tokens.

I can't really see a way around that, and it sounds like the best solution. Can't help but say it's a little disappointing, though.
  7. Hmm, interesting observation. Namely that there are 2 MAIN different playing styles on EMC -
    1. Wild, Boo ya
    2. Town, eww Monsters.
    Or something like that. I know we don't want to tie rupees and tokens together. But what about an extreme rupee->token exchange value (one way). Basically the Empire Shop of Tokens. It should still be a better option to actually earn the tokens - in determining this rate.
  8. I don't generate any more rupees than my daily bonus permits me. Regardless of whatever Aikar intends, tokens will have an immediate rupee value the second anyone purchases anything with them.

Because people sell stuff. And if people sell something that they purchased with tokens, like a sponge or something, their values will be completely inextricable.

The problem I have is that, according to you, only one of two choices results in activities that "actually earn" tokens. I'd like there to be a way to earn tokens while doing whatever you enjoy, but this system as it is simply cannot abide that. It'd take a lot of effort to create one that did.
  9. Not trying to say those are the only ways tokens are earned, but what is it that you enjoy doing? Lol.

Just throwing ideas out at this point
  10. Reading Crazy1080 post he has a point in a way. So far i see that the pvp/ xp farmers are gaining the benefits so far with the tokens system. I look forward to what other ideas come of this but feel restricted if it does stay the way it is.

My style of gaming with minecraft is to go to the wilds and collect what i need or want to store. This takes some form of fighting but i do my best not to engage unless i have to.

I would like to see implemented for the token system rewards for this style as well due to minecraft was not designed just for fighting mobs it has so much more to offer :)
  11. I do one of four things at any point in time on EMC:

I build things and talk to people.

I build things and don't talk to people.

I don't build things and I talk to people. I run around town while talking to people and inserting myself into conversations.

I don't build things or talk to people. I run around town and look at all the things I haven't seen.

None of these things are easy to keep track of, and they're difficult to reward due to being easy to fake. Like I said, I'd like to receive tokens for playing my way, but it doesn't seem to be an actionable thing.
    607 likes this.
  12. . _ .
    Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't really wana do, in order for you do do a thing you really wana do.
    I really hate the nether. Really, Really badly. But I love quartz, glowstone, and Lava (I like pouring my stone like concrete). So I go there all the time.
    Kephras likes this.
  13. couldn't there be some sort of bonus received for X number of blocks placed in town and then just exclude blocks like dirt maybe just because people could abuse that. that way builders could be rewarded for building amazing things in town.
  14. It'd have to be a lot more complicated than that, otherwise you could just place random blocks in a spot and keep digging them up until you'd hit 'quota.'
    Honestly, much as I'd like to see token rewards broadened for things like awesome builds, I do have to point out a misinterpretation of the "play your way" thing - that applies to player settings, and difficulty in particular. If you came for PvE and combat challenges, crank up the difficulty setting - if you're here to build and relax, lower it. Both are equally 'valid' forms of play.
    Building things is a measurable activity and I'm sure there's some way to implement tokens for doing so. The system might be more complex and irritating than it's worth though.
    One possible thought might be some kind of daily "block calculation" of your residence - assigning a certain value to various block types and calculating the number of each used (obviously, not including dirt). I can see a lot of flaws with that system, but it would at least account for structures already standing and not be as resource-intensive as trying to track blocks placed.
    The biggest issue obviously, is that it skews heavily in favor of people with multiple residences (current and former supporters), so either that would be considered a perk for supporting, or set to only one res (first one by default, but able to be changed, say '/token res #')
    Socialization is good, but I don't think just chatting with people is going to cut it. You'd basically be rewarded for doing "nothing." Though if something like a residence block-calculation was implemented above, you'd still be receiving tokens for whatever you'd built previously, even on days when you didn't feel like building something.
    Possibly a sort of "Tourism" achievement daily, for visiting X different residences?
  15. ohhh how about if we hold building contests from time to time and offer tokens as rewards
  16. Along with the forum activity, I think there should be a way to prevent abuse from players using alts. For example, player A has 250 posts, and then uses an alt to like all of his posts, which is not fair. Is this possible to prevent?
  17. hell yeah.
    Mr_ZulusAlt likes this.
  18. amen to that :D
    Mr_Zulus likes this.
  19. I should point out that not only would that be unfair, it is also against the Terms of Service
    So best not to do so, even for a joke :)
    Seffychan likes this.
  20. Me and my alt are feeling ashame :oops:. ;)