Tokens - Ways to Gain Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, May 15, 2014.

1. Yes, I'm sorry if all this is tiresome for you all to read through. I guess at this point we'll just agree to disagree and let others comment if they wish.
    607 likes this.
  2. If building something should not be included since it is its own reward, then killing an Enraged mob should not be included since you are rewarded with drops like Diamonds and Shards as well as the experience from killing them.

Whenever I have fought Enraged, my equipment has taken a beating so I consider the rewards I have gotten to be decently balanced. I absolutely hate the "anti-cheating" programming and wish I could turn off the pathing messages you get when a mob can't figure out how to get to you, but everyone else seems ok with it so I guess I have to live with it?

In my opinion, everything we do in Minecraft has some sort of reward or we wouldn't keep returning to it like addicted lab monkeys. We all have our preferred play styles and ideas of what constitutes a challenging activity. I consider Tokens a non-tangible reward just like building a house or earning Rupees so they are all valid to me. The purpose of this thread is to explore ways to earn them other than by killing Enraged mobs.

By the way, I thought we decided up-thread that we were going to call these something other than "challenges".

I don't bother to go out of my way to fight Enraged myself. Currently, I think we can still only gain Tokens through combat and I would like to have other options to earn them.

I can't say I like the Residence "Like" idea much either though. I think I read somewhere that Aikar's intention was that Tokens are supposed to be separate from our Rupee economy. I think people would be able to easily find ways to trade Rupees or items for sign clicks in order to get Tokens.

I'm also not sure I or many other people would go out of their way to "Like" someone's build. People may find other ways to get people to visit and click a sign but shops would probably dominate which I don't think is really our intention either.

I think we need to try to search for ideas that can't be socially influenced like clicking signs as opposed to killing mobs. They need to be kept separate from the economy, and need to be set up in a way that the inherent rewards plus the tokens can be balanced and in proportion to the difficulty of whatever activity is being rewarded.
    mba2012 likes this.
  3. No, I hate this too. It certainly punishes those who have more of a strategic style of play vs. tanking, but I also understand why it was implemented. I'm sure there's at least one thread where the subject has been discussed at length. There's at least one way to get around this but I won't discuss it here.
    Pab10S likes this.
  4. Amen.

In the absence of a replacement name, and out of habit, I've just been referring to them as such. Otherwise if you can think of a better term let us know. Perhaps just "Tokens" for now...

My thought was that this would be averted by placing the bar high for the number of likes that would be required for any sort of reward. Let's say you need 500 players to like your build to get X tokens, where X tokens is the same amount you would receive for killing an enraged mob. (Again, 500 is a number I just pulled out of thin air. This could be set higher) It would be hard to abuse because the payout would be so low, that it wouldn't be worth paying rupees for tokens received this way, or the amount of rupees anyone would be willing to pay would be so small that it wouldn't matter. One exception to this is if someone had lots of rupees and they were willing to pay a high rupee cost for likes simply because they wanted recognition of having a highly liked build. In that case they are essentially not really paying for the tokens.

This is a very good point. Please also keep in mind that I am open for severely restricting this feature in Town, or limiting it to the Frontier.
  5. 100 percent behind frontier buildings being considered (and said so before)

also noone likes the anti-pathing system but until someone comes up with a way to prevent those tricky tricky halloweenie quiero dulces para mi folks from farming them there isnt much of a choice :/
    Pab10S likes this.
  6. I had to look this up... "Too long, didn't read."
    You might as well have posted: "Scratched my arse, it was itchy."

Thank you for contributing such insight to this thread.