Tokens - Ways to Gain Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, May 15, 2014.

1. I would like to remind the community that the tokens will not be treated as free handouts. They will have to be earned.
    jkjkjk182 and wkramer79 like this.
  2. Hmm... I seem to recall that the wild is already split into these little blocks (yes, I know not what you meant). I believe they are called chunks
    mba2012 and highlancer54 like this.
  3. Yeah I agree with this. As I've stated in other threads it's not just about killing enraged mobs. When you move from 5 to six the difficulty for regular mobs increases quite a bit. You're gonna have to kill a whole lot of regular mobs before you kill an enraged mob or mini boss. It seems like you should get some reward for the added difficulty. As Kramer said, at this point it makes more sense to just avoid regular mobs.
  4. I agree with others about making sure to not 'penalize' players if their style of play does not include grouping. I've never been much for this historically across a few multiplayer games. I'm not opposed to it, it's just that my personality lends to playing alone much of the time. If you want to reward more tokens for group activity, that makes sense to me. Just don't purposefully make it more difficult for those who either play at hours when other players are few, or who just don't feel like being in a group. Make sure there is a balance of ways to earn tokens alone, or with a group.

I support some way of rewarding travel and building in the Frontier. Obviously this needs to have certain checks and balances like making sure people traveling via nether or railway cannot earn large amounts of tokens with a minimum of effort, while someone who travels by foot or sea exploring for the same amount of times ends up with less.

I suggest having a daily bonus for those who log on in a Frontier location further than X blocks from spawn. This would be a good way to reward those who decide to go out into the Frontier for a time.
    Grauhaar72 and roblikescake like this.
  5. I may have overstated my opinion on alternate rewards of tokens in my previous postings. I agree that there should be possible ways to get tokens other than fighting enraged mobs. What I don't want people to forget is that minecraft already has rewards systems in place for many of the regular game play. Duplicating rewards leads to circular logic that can be messed about with far too much. Not to discourage suggestions, but to help players understand why some ideas will be used and some will not.

The loot pools for regular mobs improve with added difficulty as well as the xp dropped. It's not really a terrible thing to avoid regular mobs, and code problems arise when token values are added to everything. We already have a complex system to keep players from farming excessive amounts of loot or xp from captive mobs and we may not want to throw tokens into this code mix. If you don't want the loot or xp from regular mobs, then it's O.K. to avoid them.

Next is the mining of ore. This would allow players to farm ore for sale as tokens. Tokens are not intended to be bought or sold, so this is doubtful to be used, but general mining activity has been suggested by Aikar and that is not really so practical to be abused.

With general mining activity = tokens, this would allow farmers and cobble generators to be worked by groups of people to earn tokens, and this activity is good for the community because it makes materials available for members. The only practical thing to do with these collected items is to sell them, so not much reason to abuse.

This is getting long already, so just keep in mind that there will be lots of issues to consider with each new use and it will take some doing to figure out and code.

I did come up with another possible source of tokens that is outside of fighting. Crafting complex items. Here are some items that are expensive to craft and therefor easier to assign a token reward for. Enchanting Table, Diamond Armor and Tools, Cake, Pistons, Some potions, Stone block, Redstone items, Glass (this is smelting).... Any of these are useful items to the economy, so there is good reason to reward players to collect the needed materials and produce useful goods at reasonable enough prices to resell. Any player with enough rupees to endlessly craft items just for tokens will surely be able to take unfair advantage of any other token reward system and without making as much contribution to the community.
    MrsWishes and highlancer54 like this.
  6. On the basis of this, I would be against bonuses simply for being on the Empire, or for supporting. Tokens should be given for completing actual challenges, be they in the community or in the wild. Getting Tokens for being a Supporter, while it sounds like a good idea in theory, rewarding supporters and whatnot, but I believe the tokens should be given out as a reward for a challenge, and paying a certain amount per month while potentially playing on EMC very little does not constitute engaging in a challenge.
    607 and roblikescake like this.
  7. Bonus for logging in doesn't make it a challenge it just uses it as a gimmick to get people on the servers. I'm not against using tokens for exploration and or mining. But giving them out at events is also not using then for challenges unless the event is a challenge type thing.

edit : they did say they would have to be earned and that could mean just about anything
    607 likes this.
  8. Guys, voting is getting INSANELY overpowered. A lot of people just can't vote daily like myself. It forces you to miss out on part of the EMC experience. And all of you reading this and already half way to the reply button to criticize me and saying things like "it can't be helped" or "it's just a few people" ask yourself, Shouldn't everyone be able to earn just as many things as everyone else? This and a few of the other voting perks can cause people to fall back in the market and most times they can't raise enough money to buy things like EMC special items or sponge that you can't get in the waste. I know a lot of people agree with me on this but most are against it (the ones who can vote daily). I just think that maybe we shouldn't award tokens for this.
  9. Did you suggest earning tokens from BAKING cake?

I support this idea.
  10. I'm sorry you feel voting is overpowered, however I feel that it's fairly well balanced, the diamonds and emerald amounts were reduced and there isn't many items rewarded through voting. I sometimes am unable to vote when I go to my upstate house so I'll ask a friend of mine to cover. I'd suggest trying to find someone who would help you on those off days.
    MrsWishes and Kephras like this.
  11. I think that giving out tokens for just being a supporter would be strange, i think these should only be a reward for completing challenges. That being said I think a good idea, if it were even possible, would be to give a token bonus for killing enraged and boss mobs to supporters. That way you still have to hunt the mobs and it would be another cool perk for supporting.
  12. interesting idea.

And I even agree with everyone now that automatic token bonuses just for being a supporter is a bad idea. Bonus to gain does sound nicer.
    72Volt likes this.
  13. The only suggestion so far that does not appeal to me is the Group Mining one. I have a 75% death rate when mining with other people.
    It would encourage people to mine more though probably.
    QuarterStop and EffinBatman like this.
  14. I agree with this suggestion. +1

My 2 words:
    I do agree that tokens rewards need to be added to other functions throughout EMC, not just mob hunting.
    - I like the idea of rewards for crafting complex items or expensive crafts crafts that cant be abused though.
    - As far as tokens for mining this should only be applied to stone and/or cobble to prevent the reselling of the ores for tokens. (this could be extended to wood logs)
    - As for as the treveling idea, depending on the feature details. Make it only foot travel, as rail fits for abuse, people could make rail afk systems.
    - The shop feature token reward. I am against as mega malls would have the upper hand in the market. This will discourage new/small players.
    - The hunting regular mobs is a great idea as long as it follows the rule that you dont get rewards if the mob cannot fight back. (same as the hostile mob heads drop rule)

This is just my 2 cents
    roblikescake likes this.
  15. Several times over the last few months, voting has been revised and made easier to build and maintain your streak. As long as you have internet access at all, you should be able to find two minutes during the day to throw a vote at one of the sites, at least. And if you don't, do like Quarterstop suggested and ask a friend to cover for you. Hell, last august my whole computer basically went belly-up from a hard-drive failure and I was still able to keep my streak going. Bottom line, I don't know what more you could ask for to make voting simpler.

On the other paw, that simplicity does make itself a counter-argument to significant token rewards for voting bonuses. I'm not adverse to the idea personally, but I'd advocate keeping those rewards minimal at best. (And I say that even knowing the majority of any tokens I obtained would be through such a system).

One suggestion I did like was the notion of rewards for [Establishing] a wilderness outpost. However, the flaw in that is, "Establishment" as a concept is just a stopgap measure until actual wilderness protection is implemented.
    MeadMaker and QuarterStop like this.
  16. Jaeger BombAAAstic !
  17. hmm,
  18. Tokens for site trophies, with it being tied to the number of points a player has. Having more forum users builds up all areas of EMC. It also helps build a sense of being an individual (not a number) in the community, and helps retain members whose close friends (or people they normally play with leave) quit. One of the reasons all of my local friends left is because they said that "Nobody played anymore". I have never quit because I still get to see the same community day after day here on the forums. Some people think that just because a few SMP# regulars leave that the whole server is unraveling. Showing them that we have a dedicated playerbase over all the servers should help keep them confident about the stability of EMC.
    mba2012, 72Volt, highlancer54 and 4 others like this.
  19. What about adding them to vote bonuses? I don't know about some of you, but when I receive 2 diamonds for a vote bonus of 60 or so, I feel kinda bummed.
  20. to be fair, the rupee bonus is much higher at that point daily... but I already said in the OP voting is on the agenda :)
    cadgamer101 likes this.