The Random/Not-so-random Post Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Oct 19, 2014.

?

Which of these things do you know?

The cake is a lie. 120 vote(s) 80.5%
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee. 88 vote(s) 59.1%
Darude - Sandstorm 88 vote(s) 59.1%
How has this video 301 views, if there are only 7 people on the earth? :o (Or something alike) 79 vote(s) 53.0%
#ShadyShannon 34 vote(s) 22.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Haha, I think I saw that before!
    It's very nice!
  2. This might be my favourite Sethbling creation yet.

ShelLuser and NuclearBobomb like this.
  3. Scrivalry's an iOS app (not sure if it's on Android too) that's free for a (probably) limited time; I learnt about it yesterday and while I'm not a fan of Scrabble the core idea immediately appealed to me: it's Scrabble, but the playing field is gigantic, kilometres in size. Everyone plays simultaneously, there's no waiting for turns, and the game is persistent. If you lay a word, it'll be there, forever, and if somebody taps the word, they'll see you played it and when you played it. It's a really cool system!
    You should check it out, perhaps we'll be able to all work on the same area somewhere. :)
    Most people are trying to go down to the bottom of the field, it seems, but I like filling up more space at once place, instead of only going down. In any case: download it and check it out, it could be fun!
  4. This video is incredible. https://youtu.be/gai8dMA19Sw
    You'll be able to most appreciate it if you are acquainted with Physics and have heard the Aladdin soundtrack. However, if you like the art of science, music, or language, you should probably watch it anyway! :D
  5. Sooo, since this is the random thread, lets share something random with you guys :D

Code:
    siba_bwn0: <Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless> irq 19 at device 0.0 on cardbus
    bwn0 on siba_bwn0
    bwn0: bwn_attach_core: forcing 2GHz only; no dual-band support for PHY
    bwn0: WLAN (chipid 0x4306 rev 5) PHY (analog 2 type 2 rev 2) RADIO (manuf 0x17f ver 0x2050 rev 2)
    bwn0: DMA (30 bits)
    wlan0: Ethernet address: 00:12:13:14:15:16
    bwn0: ucode fw: ucode5
    bwn0: firmware version (rev 410 patch 2160 date 0x751a time 0x7c0a)
    wlan0: link state changed to UP

I finally managed to bring my old Toshiba Satellite laptop back to live :) I have a laptop but I hardly use it, I prefer to sit behind my desk where I'm using a KVM switch to swap between my PC's (LAN server, Windows desktop, etc.). Quite some time ago I installed FreeBSD on said laptop (replaced Windows XP) and that worked quite well, even got a decent GUI going.

The only two remaining problems: wireless access and sound. Well....

Current XFCE4 desktop, showing you my wlan (wireless) connection :)

Now all I need to do is to provide it with a few keys (for authentication purposes, one of which being for my VPN) and then I'll be home free :) Quite literally, because I will be able to access my home network from any other remote location no matter where I am (authenticated & encrypted using a 2048bit RSA key).

But bottom line: I got my laptop to work :D It even fully supports my soundcard these days ;)
    Code:
    feliner:/home/peter $ cat /dev/sndstat
    Installed devices:
    pcm0: <ATI IXP 200> (play/rec) default
    No devices installed from userspace.
    feliner:/home/peter $ mixer
    Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer line    is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer mic      is currently set to  0:0
    Mixer cd      is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer rec      is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer igain    is currently set to  0:0
    Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
    Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer phin    is currently set to  0:0
    Mixer phout    is currently set to  0:0
    Recording source: mic

The only caveat is that this laptop isn't powerful enough to run Minecraft (sort off, I did manage something with every enhancement turned off, I'm probably going to try Optifine too someday), but then again: that might also be for the best (I mostly use this laptop to diagnose network problems at remote (customer) locations) :)
    607 likes this.
  6. This thread is old, but I don't feel like starting a whole new thread to share a random vent ;)

Ever since my teens I've been a wrestling fan, though I stopped following the whole thing around the 1990 / 2000. And no, I'm not talking about the ancient Greece sport but 'American Wrestling', WWF / WWE in specific though I also enjoyed WCW and TNA.

Yes, I know: the whole thing is staged, the outcome of some matches is utterly predictable and sometimes a match can become utterly ridiculous when the wrestlers are literally waiting for each other to make their next move.

Back in the days things were pretty relaxed but over time things evolved and right now there's a lot of emphasis put on the entertainment part. For good or bad, who can tell, but sometimes I feel they're massively overdoing it. Some wrestler entrances feature music (obviously), fireworks, video walls, smoke, special effects.... You'd almost forget that you're watching a wrestling match and not some kind of theatrical performance (then again.... :D).

And then this happened.... Shinsuke Nakamura (Wikipedia page here) makes his debut on one of the two major WWE shows and yeah... Fireworks? Videos? Smoke effects?

This guy has his own way to electrify get an entire audience... And all it takes is one violin.

Warning / READ THIS: This video contains some minor stroboscopic effects. Keep this in mind before opening the spoiler and watching it. I don't think it's heavy enough to affect someone, but I don't want to take chances.

And a second, less serious, warning: the entrance music may come to haunt you, you've been warned ;)

No worries: no fighting nor violence, only someone performing an amazing entrance...

607 likes this.
  7. First reaction: "Oh, so he's a black Lindsey Stirling with a Japanese name?"
    Then the real Shinsuke walked out and I was disappoint. I have no interest in WWE, but I was sincerely hoping the wrestler was the one playing the violin - generally not something you'd associate with beefy musclemen stage-tossing each other around a mat. I stopped watching about the time he started his horizontal pole-dance with the ropes.

Still, props for creativity I guess.
    ShelLuser, 607 and Zrugite like this.
  8. This thread can remain in sporadic use forever if it's up to me. ;)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. Now that's something I'd pay to go see: if they could book her to perform that entrance music. Something I'd sincerely doubt will ever happen, but who knows :)

That would definitely be something very different indeed. Well, who knows... maybe someone with influence is reading all this and is now thinking "hey..." :)

Good to know :)
    607 likes this.
  10. So I had a surprise visitor this weekend, who also spend the night and it was really cool. The only "problem": dinner preparations ;)

Thus here's my new random message: down with the garlic presses! :D

I don't know what it is with garlic presses and me, but for some reason they never manage to survive in my kitchen; I quite literally totally crushed four of them in total with one single hand :eek: Over a period of several months mind you, but even so...

So here are two cooking tips for garlic usage....

If you like garlic like I do and you're going to prepare a meal with garlic try cutting one part in half, and use one of the halves to rub your pan with it. It won't damage it, even if you're using a teflon coated pan, but it will add a little extra garlic flavor to your food. Especially when you're going to melt butter to cook / prepare your food.

And if you're like me, hating garlic presses, here's another neat trick: when you bake your food (for example minced meat & onions to be used in a nice chili) then throw those peeled yet uncut garlic halves (or whole pieces) into the pan as well and cook them along with the rest of the food for a while.

Then take 'm out of the pan (after a few minutes) and you can easily crush them using a mere fork. No more need for stupid garlic presses :cool: And even better: by cooking them they already added even more flavor to the food.

Maybe food for thought? :D
    607 likes this.
  11. I finally managed to get this to display correctly in web browsers! :p
    Many people were saying the Dutch 2017 exam Dutch was too long. I, however, finished it 45 minutes early, perhaps in part because I was using a laptop. So then I decided to create a masterpiece in Notepad. :cool:
    http://607.heliohost.org/watchhouse.html
    ILTG and TomvanWijnen like this.
  12. If your school district uses Instructure as their ELM (this is usually Canvas) you can see the answers to some quizzes in the HTML source. If you don't know how to do this, press CTRL + SHIFT + I to view the source for it.
    ILTG likes this.
  13. The internet wasn't used. :)
    Moreover, that'd be cheating. :p
    Carbonyx likes this.
  14. Wait wut, you finished that early with al the apocalyptic shouting and 'hellende vlakken' :eek:? (I didn't know you had you exams actually :3)
    Well made though! Also, you have used exactly 20 words so maybe you'll get the bonus points :p

Even if that would still be possible on exam-PC's (which would be highly unlikely, because hey these are the exams), you dont wan't to cheat at these tests :rolleyes:
    Patr1cV and 607 like this.
  15. If it's a test on Canvas, it's not a major test :p but I've never done this myself :rolleyes:
  16. Let me tell you, this was probably the most major test in the Netherlands at that day. ;) But yeah, I only had access to Notepad, and theoretically could use Office Word, but that would be considered cheating, as that does a spelling check, which I'm not allowed to use as I haven't got dyslexia.
    Carbonyx likes this.
  17. ShelLuser likes this.
  18. 607 and ShelLuser like this.