The problems of Krysyy, Aikar and how EMC is run.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by _REMOVED_87055, Oct 27, 2019.

1. You have very good intentions with your post, boscodo, it's clear to see. Thanks. :)
    But I don't agree with this line.
    Clearly this is affecting people's lives. Krysyy's, obviously, but also mine, Kira's, and probably yours as well. If something happens in a community that I am a part of, it affects my life. Of course, it is very different from how something happening in my family would impact my life, as my family is not a community that I can leave, whereas EMC is a community I choose to be a part of. But I think that saying "this is just a game" is not appropriate in this case, especially as we aren't even talking about the game, we are talking about things that go on in the community, and about people's real actions, not about what their characters play out in-game.

I hope that including the paragraph just before quoting boscodo makes this okay. Otherwise, please let me know.
  2. I think we need more CMs (or more visible SS who can do all that you can do) for basically the same reason we need more mods. To keep the peace, to host events, to welcome newplayers, etc.
    The difference would be the CM title, which is a good thing for newplayers to see. I feel like half the reason they leave so soon is because they aren't welcomed well enough.
    It's great for them to be welcomed by a player, better from a staff, and best from a CM. It makes them feel more special, I guess.
    At least, whenever I welcome a newplayer, they often ask 'are you the owner?' or 'who's the owner?' or something along those lines. It would be beneficial, I think, to have more higher-ranking staff for that.
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  3. And to answer 607, (I'm not sure how to quote people, sorry :oops:)
    What I meant by that line was don't blow this out of proportion. That was the point I was trying to make.
    I know that technically, EMC affects ALL of our lives (here we are on the forums, for example), and I know it's definitely affected Kira's life.
    Kryysyy too- it's a lot of work being CM.

Sorry for any confusion ;)
  4. So to clarify, and not in a bad way, you want more purple visibility for new players to interact with?
    That's not what the purpose of the Community Manager is and doesn't align with how EMC Staff has ever been set up. The Mods are the player interaction on ground level. Senior Staff are higher, with command and creative mode, and decision making, but still intended to be more visible. CM/Owner are managers and keep the plates spinning in the background. You don't have multiple CEOs answering client service calls in a company just so customers feel they are special. That's not to say that the CEO won't, but that's not their part in the business, and each employee has a part to play.
  5. Ahh, I see. I kinda thought every staff was in charge of player interaction.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding:p
    But yeah, I think more mods will be very beneficial to EMC and to the new player count. And the application thread you posted will definitely help with that.
    607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  6. Every staff IS in charge of player interaction, but greeting new players and player interaction are not synonymous; they are subsets of each other. As Aikar noted prior, it's not my role to host events. It's my role to make sure that events get ran and player interaction is subsidized by events, because it's 'managing them'. If I have to do it myself, then I step up to the plate and do it because I care. There are many staff members in the line before me that CAN do the same thing, but if no one shows up to work one day and the client services phone is ringing, that CEO is going to pick up because it's necessary to keep things running and it's what a manager does when they care about the company.

Then they'd post a 'we're hiring' bulletin asap.
    607 and boscodo like this.
  7. This thread makes me sad but I do have an idea. Reset the whole damn thing. Get rid of about 4-5 smps and the games server (never was a fan of that, liked it better when events were on the smps) and viola, we can go on with our lives. Sure the towns will be gone and outposts but we can build them up again and better. I gotta kind of think minecraft is about new beginnings.
  8. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that would really change anything, God_Of_Gods, because the players will still be the same and everything, and this whole discussion is about the players and staff, not builds or residences.

Also, how do you quote people?
  9. I can say that were some players' progress of the last 8 years to be gone like this, it would solve one problem at the cost of an entire history. EMC is historical at this point. In that sense, I mean that talking the other day with staff, we discussed life changes. Some staff joined when 13 and are about to turn 21, some joined at 21 and are 28, some are just older ;). Part of what makes EMC is the what we've gone through and the builds, community outposts, etc that stay standing because we don't hit that reset button with every new release.
  10. Click reply. Bottom right.
    607 likes this.
  11. AH! Thank you lol
    607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  12. I have kept this entire quote as I believe it is important to re-read - these are tangible suggestions and in my opinion, something to HIGHLY consider. I will add a few more important ones, which myself and others have suggested in the past:
    Also, I'm not looking for any sort of response, like 1. Being implemented 2. not going to happen. 3. already planned etc. I'm just putting it all in one place. Is it a lot of work? It certainly is. Is there some dev work that is out of most peoples hands? Sure. :) Will these things help EMC, I definitely think so.

1. Global Chat (being implemented already, but sooner than later would be a great idea)
    2. Condensing smps (denied a few times, but still a solid idea)
    3. More exposure EVERYWHERE - twitter, facebook, topsites, instagram, reddit, PMC etc. - every time there is an event, blast it somewhere, every time there is a cool build for a holiday, post it on planetminecraft or pinterest, or wherever. Running events can only do so much, primarily for the members emc already has, it does not get many new players, because no one knows about these events. I would have a few dedicated people doing this, as well as the community if they are looking for a way to help.
    4. Bring back voting contests (if nothing else it boosts the server rankings on topsites).
    5. Implement a second playstyle - my recommendation is skyblock or some sort of questing - OR at least something that does not completely rely on minecraft updates.
    6. Rebranding. A fresh new look, new mission statement, perhaps even a new name. Blast it everywhere - this could get a serious resurgence in players.
    7. Forum upgrade. I know the answer and why but it just needs to be done. I know some people don't like the flashy cartoony style forums, but, a TON of people love it, especially kids.
    8. Upgrade to the latest version of MC - I know all the stuff, but I'm mentioning ALL the things that will help.
    9. If 8 cannot be achieved in a timely fashion, it has always been my opinion to work on other things that CAN be achieved. Land claiming, Empires etc. I was always personally more excited about those features rather than the latest version of MC.
    10. General enthusiasm goes a LONG WAY. Which was the MAIN reason for this thread to begin with. It wasn't to roast someone, at least not at the core. It was to establish some change and light some fires under some butts.
    11. Transparency has already been mentioned and is in planning - IE with monthly updates as katy mentioned. Frequency of dev updates would also be nice. Just a general EMC status update occasionally is essential.
    12. Since dev work is hard to come by, perhaps someone could start looking for it? There are TONS of forums and discord servers that are literally chocked full of dev's looking for work - who are more than willing to help, and most times for free!
    13. Same goes for staff, there is nothing wrong with posting a looking for staff advert somewhere OTHER THAN here on the forums. The amount of players who use the forums goes down daily - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to primarily post events and updates and looking for staff and devs on the forums.

To the Community in general:
    If I missed something, please mention it - if you feel like you still need to get something off your chest, now is as good a time as any to do so.
  13. LOVE the concise nature of this post. Each of these will be considered, as Katy's will be too.
    To the community: this is what I mean by direct and progressive suggestions. Will we implement every one? No, but we can pick and discuss parts of each that we can address in some manner.
    Thank you Toade.
  14. TIL there is an EMC subreddit :eek:
  15. Two things I’d like to point out:
    1. The constructive posts that give specific, concrete details of what they want to see change are getting immediate and positive feedback from Krysyy. The ones that are continuing on settled issues (which shouldn’t have been brought up or made publicly available in the first place) are not.
    2. This was said before, but I think a reminder needs to be had again for some; the vocal majority in this thread is a vocal minority of the server. Anyone who has a bone to pick with the staff is going to flock to a thread like this, but people who are satisfied or neutral are not. People are more eager and likelu to say nasty things than they are to compliment and praise. There are studies showing this.
  16. I do agree with the condensing of smps but it's hard for me (and I assume many others) to just have my work erased only to start over. Some of my builds have been years of molding. It would be very difficult for me to redo all that when it's taken that long to build in the first place. This is a very difficult one. It would help but also hurt many people.
  17. Players would need to supply schematics of the builds they wish to save - it only takes a few moments to make a schematic. It also only takes a few moments to paste an entire schematic anywhere on the server. If the build is larger than say, 10m blocks, it would take a few more moments to paste multiple together. Give the players AMPLE time to submit their request for the move. The ONLY thing that would be unfortunate is the loss of certain farms; witch farms (sorry bud, your witch farms are incredible), wither farms, as well as sea temple farms. Some other farms will be broken in the future regardless, so they would be large paper weights anyhow.

This could take months of planning and implementation and best case scenario, this happens in conjunction with land claiming. OR, players can simply build a new rail out to their newly located outpost/build.
  18. Except schematics break crucial parts of some players' residences, shops, etc at times AND it doesn't move res perms...
    Not saying it's impossible, but it's a LOT more than a schematic cut and paste.
    TomvanWijnen, Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  19. Indeed. Town builds would require some additional work from the players.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  20. I’ve actually had a half decent plan for this for a while. Combine the res worlds into one larger one. The residences can more or less retain their relative positions if you triple the size of spawn, meaning instead of 4 spawn bordering resets, there are 12. The rest of the residences can be placed procedurally, with special care for 2x2 residences being kept together. As for the other worlds, toss the extra wastelands and just keep one. Keep all 3 frontiers, and name them three distinct things like “frontier, wilderness, and outback”. This would allow us to combine 9 smps into 3.

Edit: I mean have this happen server side, no player involvement with schematics or anything like that. The worlds would just be straight up copied over.
    Nickblockmaster and CompaqDisc like this.