State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. As it stands its most of us who works on the Minecraft core coming together united as one team.

So while it will slow things in short term, it's massively better for the long term viability of ALL Minecraft servers
  2. And I'm definitely pushing my views on keeping politics from holding the project back like it did bukkit
  3. Hopefully this project will prosper in the way that its more developer friendly such as API's but also for committing code unlike Bukkit which had restrictions on committing new code.

It'd be very cool to have some amazing new plugins that weren't viable on previous platforms.
  4. i believe dinnerbone tweeted that he was going to see bukkit through to 1.8 himself and was updating it while all the crazyness was going on
  5. That was before the DMCA.
  6. And to make it clear - my role in sponge is not going to drastically take away time from EMC. It's going to be similar to my role with Spigot, just actually have a title behind my name unlike Spigot :p

I will work on stuff that mostly has some benefit to EMC (But not always, I do want to help the community out too even outside our direct needs, such as contributing my systems I built for EMC to be a part of the Sponge core)

But it will be beneficial to us that we can get more of our private events and API's into core, and then we don't have to directly maintain it anymore, the whole team would help with that.

So less work on version updates.

EMC will always be my #1 priority.
    minanela3, Olaf_C, DrewRadio and 6 others like this.
  7. are the other EMC devs like just_five_fun going to be part of Sponge?
  8. yes
  9. you're not going to let Ultimamaxx contribute to Sponge are you? that'd be a travesty lol
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  10. I don't know how to do that stuff
    607 and wkramer79 like this.
  11. I will be staying informed about sponge because it directly relates to the future of EMC. I can't say I have a lot to offer the Sponge project that others haven't already offered nor do I have the surplus of time to dedicate that is currently required. The biggest part of dev work that I do currently is to answer questions about our system and features to our players. In order to continue doing that I need to know what is happening and what it will mean to EMC.

Basically, I won't be joining Sponge, but I WLL be learning sponge. Hopefully in real time as it comes together.
  12. Well sponge seems to not be a complete disaster... Yet...
  13. I can assure you the enthusiasm this team has and the unification of so many of us.... with people putting aside their differences and issues with each other, binding together for the greater good, is a strong backing to this project.

This is literally nearly every well known developer in the minecraft development world all combining efforts into one place.

Sooo much has been discussed already in the past 48 hrs, everything is moving really fast.

At this point with my inside knowledge, I assure you its going to go places.
    607 and PenguinDJ like this.
  14. Plus... I'm super excited its built on Forge.

Forge has always been superior to CraftBukkit in terms of code as it deobfuscates most of the code, where as CraftBukkit did bare minimum.

This opens the door to juniors even more, as trying to understand what this does:
    https://gist.github.com/aikar/3b6f30f4e7ac0e6746ee
    or
    https://gist.github.com/aikar/aec19cac37ba0ef191a0

When you're just getting started? Yeah....

Forge has more of the code unobfuscated, so it results in better understanding of whats going on, less bugs, stable updates, and less work to update, and easier for new developers to help out.
  15. That's great to know that people are helping the community and forge sounds great!
  16. Code that you can read!?! :eek: Impossible! It will never work!

I was looking over the interface to forge, and it's not so different that I can't already understand how it will work. This project is A LOT of work, but very doable with the right people. ;)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  17. Good luck with this i wish you all good luck
  18. Guys, this may have use here. Say hello to our Super Hero.
  19. Was looking around sponge last night and found some code! That's right, code is being submitted to the project. It's just groundwork, but enough has been agreed upon to expect this code framework to be valid as the project moves forward. Very organized start.

Since the framework for the minecraft world files has not changed much for 1.8, the interactions with blocks and chunks is one of the starting points.

Since sponge is a way to extend and communicate with a minecraft server (api if you want to use the tla), the other starting point is the events bus that will allow plugins to register what events they want to listen for.

This is all very familiar in structure to what EMC is already using. "...the streets don't change but maybe the names..."

This is excellent for momentum, I am very hopeful from having seen this already.
    mba2012, 607 and PandasEatRamen like this.