State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Actually it doesn't, it forces "selective" features to be for everyone, based on opinions of interpretation. But this thread isn't for debating the EULA, we can leave that to Reddit (My statement you quoted was that many people believe Mojang screwed up, that's not an opinion, it's a statement), so no more debating here please :)

Keep discussion to the legal drama of Bukkit.
  2. No, its actually not.

net.minecraft.server does not represent "Minecraft Server Source Code", its the package name that the Bukkit team decided to use for the decompiled code.

Note that MCP does not use the same file structure as Bukkit.

It's purely up to the user decompiling the software on what packages to put files in and what names to give the classes.

vubuis statement is 100% true, in that mc-dev IS NOT the Minecraft Server source, and can not be considered a derivative of the minecraft server.

The debate goes down to can the mc-dev library meet the eligibility of the GPL.

My personal belief is that it can be considered its own work, and Mojang should license mc-dev as GPL and make it compile "out of the box", and that will solve these problems.
  3. And the main issue is that Wolverness is mistakenly confusing mc-dev with minecraft_server.jar found on minecraft.net, which is not the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

Is the closest thing I gave to Mojang to look at for a counter.
    CraftBukkit has never been built by linking to minecraft_server.jar, it has always been built against mc-dev, commonly distributed as minecraft-server.jar (similar name, but not the same object code/java class files)

So Wolves complaint all boils down to the licensing behind mc-dev, whether he realizes that or not (which he currently is mistakenly referencing Minecraft Server, which has no part in the compiling step of CraftBukkit.jar
  4. ahh okay - I looked at it a little more carefully this time:

Neither of them are anything alike...

One thing I'm wondering though... when you go to make a new plugin and specify a dependency - will those org.bukkit versions soon be affected?
  5. If your linking to Bukkit (which you should be, or Spigot-API), then no. Bukkit has not been DMCA'd.

But plugins that mess with NMS linked to CraftBukkit, and that will have issues, but you likely would already have CB in local cache.

As for your screens, what did you specifically look at for vanilla? I was unaware Vanilla had any legible names or even inside of a package.

EDIT: I see that 1.8 does keep MinecraftServer unobfuscated in class name alone. but as you see everything else is aaa, aab outside of a package.
    eklektoi likes this.
  6. I have no clue what is happening ( as i haven't given any attention to it whatsoever ), so I'm just gonna not post and let things happen. Feels so strange... Different...
    607 likes this.
  7. mba2012 and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  8. Don't you think that it would be possible to look into the code and see if there is any way to be able to r
    Try and make a stable 1.8 then we would be updated for the meantime while mojang fights the wars. I would type more but at cottage on phone on data
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  9. What build is you spigot?

I have build 1649
  10. *Link removed

That's the most recent I have for spigot 1.7 and 1.8 users can connect

Build 1649

Hope that helps at all off till Sunday night when I get home almost out of cell data haha
  11. Can you just rehost it like that?
  12. So where do we think this is going to go? Will we get 1.8 at some point or is EMC forever stuck on 1.7.10?
  13. It is honestly hard to tell right now, nobody knows how this whole situation with Mojang/Bukkit might turn out
  14. No. I removed the link.

Furthermore, Aikar is finalizing the latest spigot build which includes the 1.8 protocol patch. Still need some magic worked for full compatibility (but connects!)
  15. Aikar I am just going to thank you now for all you've done for us. You have done so much for this server and I thank you for that. I also thank you for all you are trying to do for us here in the EMC world and even the MC Server world. You are truly a great server leader. :D

Edit: You ever need any help I'm here to help and will be glad to.
    BevK56, jkjkjk182 and eklektoi like this.
  16. Sorry wad not sure if he was looking for a version or what.
  17. At least 1.8 will come faster, i was kind of confused while reading it, anyway, huh, happy mining i guess?
  18. He did nothing to resolve things because Mojang did not allow him to. Imma just leave a statement by toothplck1 here:
    The 1.8 version of Bukkit got put on hold, I believe, due to a DMCA claim filed by Wolveress (I think I got his name right? Not sure if there's two 'r's' or something). It affected Spigot to the point where they closed the GitHub repository and the Jenkins server, at least.
    mba2012 likes this.
  19. My Qualms with EvilSeph comes AFTER he got fired from Mojang, so it has no part on Mojang.
    He was fired and resumed as team lead of Bukkit and the project had many issues in the past 1-2 years.

You would of really needed to interact with him on a development basis, and understand the problems with the contribution system of bukkit to see the issues.

-------------------------------

But! Major news update.
    At this point, you might as well consider Bukkit "dead". Even if Mojang does release an update, the entire Bukkit team has quit, and the community has decided to move on.

I have been invited to a very large team to start a completely new project called Sponge, composed of many of the well known developers in the Minecraft world.

Myself, Forge, Cauldron, MCP, Spigot, Spout, Glowstone,Some Bukkit Team, many Bukkit Contributors and more are all joining together to create the next big thing to replace bukkit and fix the legal issues in the plugin api world.

See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJ1WzHI-VUuoHEJz4SRHUbl-5XnsURbqP5fIi8B4Kyg/preview?sle=true
    You can click Chat on the top of our site and then type /join #sponge to also join the Sponge channel.

Nothing is coded yet, mainly preparing and planning everything, identifying faults in other things like Bukkit and ensure its not repeated.
  20. Can we just stay on 1.7.x and get slime blocks manually added? I'd like to make a bounce house lol