State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. 1.8 Easter-Egg: Naming an animal "EvilSeph" turns it hostile and mean. :D
  2. Don't mention 1.3 <- only refer to it as the update that cannot be named :D
    jkjkjk182 and cadgamer101 like this.
  3. May I ask why that is?
  4. it had a lot of bugs.

1.8 is worse, but hopefully since Dinnerbone is doing it, it will be less buggy.
    boozle628, 607 and Silken_thread like this.
  5. There's a movie called God Is NOT Dead. Maybe Mojang should make Bukkit Is NOT Dead...
  6. Has much work been done to the base system to support that kind of mutli tick? When i was learning the code logic last year, I starting thinking about what would need to happen. So much interaction happens between mobs and the world that it's almost hard to know where to start.

Making everything a single thread was the easy way to start building such a complex game, but at some points it hits a wall. I have ideas, but as always, it's easier said than done.

One such quick and dirty way is to thread lumps of activity. Players in the same world would get lumped first condition and then groups of players that overlap activated areas in a world get lumped separately. In this way, a single player in the wild would be allowed to process blocks and entities separately from a busy spot in town. Next, thread permissions could limit how much cpu a single player/group/world could use or regulate the number of ticks per second for any specific goup's load. This would prevent some thread blocking within ticks, but doesn't do
    Breaking up mobs and blocks requires a lot more communication and logic between threads and raises lots of issues that would need special help. If you were writing it from scratch, this would be the way to go without a doubt.

Hope to see future server versions progress in some direction with it. Until then, rate limiting tnt and entity collisions is the only choice to pick away at.
  7. oh I do not blame you, it was HORRIBLE.
  8. Scary new news - Wolverness, one of the core developers of Bukkit, has forcefully removed all downloads of CraftBukkit using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA Takedown), and he actually has legal grounds.

This is troubling for Mojang, as now Wolv has forced Mojangs hand to deal with the license troubles of Bukkit.....
    No-one knows for sure whats going to happen, but Mojang might be forced to open-source Minecraft OR shutdown Bukkit completely.

This doesn't mean EMC is at any risk

EMC uses Spigot, a fork of Bukkit which is fully capable of updating on its own.

The worst that could happen is that Wolvereness would make Spigot stop releasing .jar files of "his work" too, but that wouldn't be an issue as we do not depend on the official .jar files, as we then have our own fork of Spigot.

So, we're not at any direct risk, but its bad news for the project at a whole as its yet another storm of drama and this one could make the news outside of Minecraft, as this could set many legal precedents outside of Minecraft when it comes to Open Source Licenses and enforcement....
    607, eklektoi and southpark347 like this.
  9. To summarize, Wloverness is removed the downloads of craftbukkit and has forced mojang to deal with license troubles. and for all we know bukkit may be shut down. but this doesn't put us at any risk because we have our own fork of spigot. correct?
  10. Sooooo what happens when they attack spigot for using their software?
  11. this doesn't mean he can attack spigot, he can remove the .jar files, but since we have our own spigot fork we don't depend on the .jar files, we should be fine.

but for all I know I could but you never know, hope he doesn't and that is about it.
  12. What I don't understand is in this: http://dl.bukkit.org/dmca/notification.txt

Is that he's saying from craftbukkit build #1597 - #3115 to be removed or digitally non-accessible

I'm assuming these are only the ones that 'he' worked on.... but does this include the ones that the other team members worked on too?
  13. Aren't DCMAs lovely?

They all contain his code. Just because a build didn't add more of his code doesn't mean it's not in there.
    chickeneer likes this.
  14. In addition. Technically they could re-upload versions which do not include his commits. Although it would break all of the things.
    JackBiggin likes this.
  15. Bukkit: now minus all functionality!
  16. Gotta love word soup!:confused: The problem this could cause for EMC is to prolong the process of updating to the 1.8 version of minecraft. If bukkit doesn't ever come out with an update, others will fill the void, but it's a very large and complex task to undertake. Spigot has 1.7 code, but does not have a plan in place to update it to 1.8 because spigot expected to be able to work off of bukkits 1.8 release.

I guess mojang pissed some people off when they took ownership of a project that was understood to be public domain. They even admitted to planning to do it and not telling anyone. (so they would keep working for free?)
  17. Spigot is a collection of patches on top of the CraftBukkit Repository.

Spigot repository itself is not a derivative of CraftBukkit or Bukkit, its a set of tools to create your own Spigot .jar, so no-one can technically take THAT down.

As for precompiled .jars, that can be attacked too the same way CraftBukkit was done, but again, we do not depend on them.

And as long as we do not release our custom .jars, there is then no debate that were in compliance of the gpl.

Also, I don't think he can DMCA a git repository either. A git Repo is a series of patches on top of a base source too, so the only questionable part is those original files of decompiled source, which wolv is NOT the owner of, and Mojang is so they aren't going to shutdown Bukkit after they said they are saving it.

TLDR: Still no risk to EMC or Spigot on a larger scale. (I know a legal way for Spigot to still distribute jar files)
    southpark347 and 607 like this.
  18. Spigot has versions in the works though that allow 1.8 clients to connect. Not nearly stable enough for EMC yet, but there is no real reason we/spigot would ever HAVE to upgrade to 1.8
  19. Right, and with the launcher it is easier than ever to choose your client depending on who you want to connect to.

EMC players and I would be very disappointed if the upgrade process stopped. New blocks, world generation, mobs, have been a part of the minecraft experience as long as I have been playing. I don't think it's going to come to that anyway. If mojang fails to make it's bukkit 1.8 update available to public servers, they will ultimately be hurting themselves.
    PenguinDJ likes this.