State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jeb_ tweeted somewhere that he wants to get 1.8 pushed out sometime within 7 days
  2. well than....
  3. Mojang never really 'bought' Bukkit. They hired EvilSeph, DinnerBone and Grum and it was part of Seph's (And the other two's?) contract to see that Bukkit was 'handed' over to Mojang. I don't see them 'buying' Spigot when they already have Bukkit. They could just add onto what Bukkit already has and improve it.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they won't improve it and just update it. I'd kind of prefer they did that, deep down, so they can focus on making Minecraft better.

Notch/Mojang have been promising this API for 4 years nearly. I don't think its coming anytime soon... Although, with Bukkit now under Mojang's control, I guess that's the first step forward in the past 3 years.
    607 likes this.
  4. I am guessing that in order to keep realms viable, Mojang will need to start running enhancements that have been developed by the bukkit project. Their servers currently only allow, what 10? people at a time, while EMC can run 100 at once depending on what they are all doing. All of the best development for multiplayer servers has been done outside of Mojang in the past, so they would be fools to intentionally kill the project and take on all that work for themselves.

I have high hopes that this update will be done very well considering Dinnerbone has all the right connections and experience for it. I am not so clear on what will happen beyond this update, because Mojang has already shown their hand as far as wanting to muscle out some of the crowd of multiplayer servers to make room for realms.

Very interesting developments.
    607 likes this.
  5. Well the problem is these enhancements target massive 50+ player servers for benefits.

Mojangs max of 10 would be more so due to them using low end systems in order to scale/keep cost low.

they need larger changes than anything weve done to really help make realms scale better, but multi threading the world ticking is a major step forward there.

If the concept of blocks/entities ticking is not consistent on a 'tick' schedule, they could easily farm individual actions off into optimized pools. Ie one pool that has optimized entity ticking (JVM would JIT better when the code is hotter and ONLY doing certain actions), one for blocks, one for mob AI, etc.
  6. Don't you know? EMC is the future so all future updates will be EMC. WE WON! YOU HEAR THAT?! WE WON!
    Lukas3226 and princebee like this.
  7. Uhm wut. I seriously need to get on IRC tonight and do some catching up.
  8. So, EvilSeph is evil?
    princebee likes this.
  9. Aikar any idea who from Bukkit is staying on the project? Or is it just being handed over to Mojang like all the other cool things that get added to Minecraft?
  10. http://forums.bukkit.org/XenStaff/

As far as I can tell - almost all of them are staying on the project... it's not like they just lose everything ... it's just there will be more people moreover in control, but i'd say luke, tnt, and tahg will still work along with dinnerbone... i'm not sure about grum, though.

Edit: I think a lot of them are going to work on hMod, though.
  11. It's unfortunate at how simple people jump to conclusions for the sake of drama. Posting that Bukkit is dead not even minutes after the original post came out, is just childish. That being said, I do understand most of those posts come from those who aren't yet adults, and perhaps things like this are life lessons for them that will teach them patience, haha.
    PandasEatRamen and PenguinDJ like this.
  12. Not necessarily ... it's because a lot of posts were made on twitter - and twitter's tweets are very vague... so people had different interpretations on what was actually going on...

Most people initially 'did not know' that mojang were owners for a while now - unless if followed in the shadows very closely.

Jeb posted that Seph stepping down had no influence in whether bukkit would shut down or not - since he was not the one in charge of the project... and that mojang owned bukkit for awhile now...

Dinnerbone stated that since he was there from the beginning he 'at least' wanted to fall through with the project up to the 1.8 update... after that is yet to be seen.

This thread has nothing to do with 'life lessons' ... just because someone doesn't know something doesn't make them childish or full of drama... it's just mass hysteria from unknowing.
  13. When you gain life experience...which happens more as you become an adult, you learn to not make comments and spread that mass hysteria from the unknowing. Anytime I hear anything that could be considered 'big' news or something that would cause drama, I go and research it first.

When I was younger and childish in nature, I would simply hear that rumor and then go and tell as many people as I knew, because it was exciting, like many of the people have done with this and the EULA drama.

So, your last sentence, the way you wrote it, could be true...

"just because someone doesn't know something doesn't make them childish or full of drama... it's just mass hysteria from unknowing."

However...

When someone DOESN'T KNOW SOMETHING, but goes and tells people that they do, it's usually because they don't have the life experience to know that's wrong to do, or they're creating drama. :)
    607, BevK56, Dwight5273 and 1 other person like this.
  14. I' so glad you've posted this thread! Thanks so much for the info:)
    eklektoi likes this.
  15. Missed this post - I will defend Mojang on the API.

1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 have all been updates working on the API. 1.8 is now the biggest push towards the API.

Mojang has to fix their game before they can add the API itself, and they've shown strong progress to doing that over the past few major versions, ESPECIALLY with 1.8.

No-one wants the API until the game is properly multithreaded.
    PandasEatRamen and 607 like this.
  16. I'm pretty sure he is an adult xD
  17. I haven't been following the 1.8 update because I haven't really cared about it until a few days ago, when I started playing Minecraft again. Thanks for telling me things :p
  18. Like the entire guts of the game was ripped apart and re-designed.
  19. So 1.8 is 1.8 all over again? :eek:
    princebee, 607 and chickeneer like this.
  20. I wasn't really referring to only him specifically. Also, being an 'adult' doesn't always rely on age. I've seen younger people act more like an adult in some cases than people who are older. My statements above were more or less referring to adult attitudes, which can come early for some and late for others.
    607 likes this.