State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. That would not work unless EMC forces players to get a mod to do so,since the codes n' texture are not in the 1.7.x updates....
    PenguinDJ and 607 like this.
  2. but... but... bouncey house. i wants. bounce. bounce. bounce.
  3. Hmm...
  4. I cannot refute this argument.
    Bouncy houses:
    Olaf_C, DogsRNice, Saint311 and 4 others like this.
  5. It could be possible to update 1.7 code to manually add 1.8 blocks.

But it could be a really weird not 100% 1.8 build.

Theres no way sponge will be ready for any 1.8 transition there, and even so - Sponge = starting over for a lot of things and will require more work than Dragon Tombs.... but the better part of that is: when that happens its 100% dedication to Sponge conversion w/o any distraction other than critical bug fixes.
  6. Just give us them shops...
  7. and also need to note - converting to sponge is an important requirement if we want to ever be on a stable server that's going to receive updates.

Sure I could very well keep us at 1.7.10 w/o much issue.... but we know everyone doesn't want that, and would probablykill us off as people want to play on the updates.
  8. That's awesome :D
  9. I love how all of this started because Mojang didn't listen to the majority of their community on their stance on the EULA :p
  10. Did it really?
  11. Wait so not only does EMC have to work on Dragon Tombs they also have to work on Sponge?
  12. From what I take ... anything that previously used bukkit as a dependancy (plugin wise) ...it can technically be finished as long as you don't need to use nms (If you don't mind staying on the same version)

...however, if you want to move onto a newer version (1.8 for example) , you're going to need to wait for Sponge, so that way your plugin can support the newer features...

else* (working on Dragon tombs in a sense) may be pointless if he's going to have to backtrack and change things that are currently referencing spigot or bukkit api over to sponge :p

(If I said all of this right :3 )
  13. Well, EvilSeph stepped down because of the EULA which caused Mojang to take full control of Bukkit which then led Wolvereness to do a DMCA takedown of Bukkit (and the forks). So yeah, it happened because of the EULA
    Olaf_C, 607 and SoulPunisher like this.
  14. EvilSeph stepped down and attempted to discontinue the Bukkit project because of the EULA, but Mojang stopped it from shutting down and officially declared themselves the owner of it. Many of the Bukkit staff (including the lead developer) stepped down from their roles because Mojang officially owned Bukkit at that point, and because they didn't like working on it anymore. Then Wolvereness filed in the DMCA pull request, which caused both Bukkit's and Spigot's (and other's) GitHub repos and downloads to be closed down.

*wink* ;)
    607 likes this.
  15. Oh so they are keeping the plugins but using a different source instead of our fork of spigot?
  16. Yes. Sponge will be the replacement for the multiplayer minecraft server that allows emc to have all it's fancy features that arn't in regular minecraft. EMC is using spigot, but spigot and every other major alternative are having terrible legal trouble at the moment.

If we ever want to update EMC and it's plugins to 1.8 features, something really big has to happen in the coding community to fill the void where spigot used to be. We could stay at 1.7 and fiddle around with adding features and work on dragon tombs, but then there will never be a path to get back to regular updates to the minecraft client.

Sponge is the currently the project gaining the most momentum. Some major decisions have already been made that meet the communities biggest requirements.

• MIT licence to prevent future legal problems.
    • Base server will be forge, which is an already working project and also in java, so that the large portion of those hosting minecraft servers will have hopefully minimal server requirement changes.
    • Bukkit is the plugin interface that EMC and others have been using. In order to escape licence traps in the future, we have to ditch Bukkit, meaning all plugins and mods will break with sponge. EMC will need to update all our code before it will work on a sponge server.
    • Sponge will be written by many developers who already use the Bukkit interface and so they will take care to make as easy as possible transition from the old server to the new.
    • Aikar was already actively working on the old server project, and fully intends to join the new project and look out for the needs and interests of the EMC community by contributing code that is stable and in the best interest of the future of minecraft servers in general.

This is a huge transition. There are many possible outcomes and issues that need to be overcome. The forge team is too small and slow to meet the sudden surge of requests. Forge currently requires a modified minecraft client to connect to a forge server. The ability for unmodified clients to connect is in the works, but now it's a fundementaly crucial fix. The members of the forge team didn't ask for or expect this hit, and now they will need to adjust to the much brighter spotlight that has been placed on them.

Forge's plugin workings are very different than what EMC and many other hosts are currently using and familiar with. It will take time for all the people working on sponge to learn the forge system and then they intend to change it quite a bit to meet the requirements of their existing server plugins. Forge is going to quickly show any shortcomings and the pressure from all sides will be more than their dev team can manage. People will get frustrated and try to start other projects where they cut corners and only look out for their own interests. Other distractions will arise and only the people who are mature and dedicated will be left to work out issues and deliver a usable product.

Ask me how long this will take. Now I laugh and say '2 weeks' because that is a line from a old movie called 'the money pit' featuring a very young tom hanks. In the movie, each time someone asks the boss how much longer it will be, the boss says matter of factly '2 weeks', but the job takes months and anyone with any idea what was required should have known from the beginning that '2 weeks' was totally unrealistic.

The odds are, that such a complex project will never fly. Groups will go separate ways and create so-so solutions and half updates of private servers and patches that only partially solve problems. There are some amazing people in the minecraft community (Aikar being one in my opinion) and they COULD pull it off. Lets be as supportive as we can and try and let the less informed members know that 'None' of the other servers will be upgrading right now and there is no date for release. I will be very impressed if the 1.8 sponge beta is out before early next year.
  17. So basically, Bye Bye Bukkit, Hello Sponge?
    and Sponge has a small number of people working on it. doesn't that mean it will take Months to complete then afterward Bugs That will need to be fixed?
    I like the idea of no Bukkit so no claims but that process seems like it will take months maybe even into 2015...
  18. Bukkit may continue, everyone keeps saying that the DMCA takedown is just too slow down & annoy Mojang. Sponge may be more widely used as its not Mojang controlled but also created by plugin developers themselves. sk89q is working on the project, he created WorldEdit and WorldGuard (2 widely used plugins). There are also many other many other developers (including the amazing Aikar) helping out.
  19. There are hundreds of people already signed on to get involved with sponge. It will take time just to figure out who is who and what everybody can bring to the table. If things gel quickly there will be a surplus of manpower to squash bugs and that sort of thing. Getting everyone organized is a monumental task.