[solved] Theres a hacker

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by _REMOVED_87055, Apr 23, 2015.

1. One minor security alert in nearly 4 years?

Not bad.
    607, TechNinja_42 and PenguinDJ like this.
  2. The time "Notch" came on doesn't count, because that was Mojang security issues.

And let us be honest. What we need are secure passwords.
  3. All you guys need is a gun, and some mean faces. Then the only person that would mess with you guys again, would have to be Jesus.
    ChugsGaming and TigerstarMC like this.
  4. It was created by the US Navy to create secure communications (although, some say to hide from the NSA). Then they gave it away as an open-source project. Tor is designed for online anonymity, not illegal activities. It's only the naughty people who do that.

5. Quite a good guess. It was actually...

MEAN THAT THE PERSON DID THIS TO US

I would expect Nick5013 to put a melon in there or something.
    607, kitten3101 and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  6. Wrong thread...
    Rainbowpony1000 likes this.
  7. I think thats 299,561 total been on server, scroll down to bottom, there is a Forum Member counter which is 90 something thousand.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  8. Either that or we have a new way to deal with security issues.
  9. He is saying that the stats are on the forums. (I think)
  10. So you are saying that a program that was created by the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and actively funded by the U.S. State Department and the National Science Foundation is bad..? The Electronic Frontier Foundation endorses Tor as a means that whistleblowers and human rights workers can communicate with journalists without risk of exposure in otherwise hostile conditions. Eva Galperin even noted: "Tor’s biggest problem is press. No one hears about that time someone wasn't stalked by their abuser. They hear how somebody got away with [doing something illegal]." Yes, Tor is used by criminals for criminal activities, but did you know that behind the largest connection base which happens to be the United States, the second largest group of Tor users are people from "internet-censoring countries"? Wikipedia states:
    Why would something so bad be used to help good people hide from bad people, while bad people use it to spread their evil empire..? Even the FAQ for Tor says a lot about EFF's endorsement of the network..
    I may not agree with everything hidden in the darkest reaches of the internet, but that doesn't mean the voiceless should remain voiceless.. :oops:
    607 and Pab10S like this.
  11. .-. Good it's solved.
  12. I waited with commenting on this because its slightly off topic. So now that the issue is solved:

Hashing algorithms are one way by design. Do note that both sha1 and sha256 are also both cryptographic hash algorithms, ergo a form of encryption. Both were designed with one-way encryption in mind. A good referral for that could be this thread on StackOverflow.

You don't "just" unhash and get the original results (passwords) back. That is, unless the administrator chose to set things up differently, but normally the only way to regain access to your account in case you lost your password is to reset it. Because of the one-way encryption.
    Death_Shark likes this.
  13. It already has been.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  14. Well, there was that one time krysyy might have maybe leaked the staff IRC password...
    607, kitten3101, GloriousKoch and 2 others like this.
  15. No, Aikar is basically commenting that Tor is also heavily used by less trustworthy people.

I'm only speaking from my own profession here, based on experiences within my field of work. Although the principle behind Tor is commendable its also safe to say that because of the heavy abuse by the system many forums and other public places have blocked its usage. And I dare state this because I've done this myself for some of my customers as well.

I agree that media outlets are better served without such blockades because of the free speech element and because it can guarantee privacy. But I also think that there are places on the Internet, Empire Minecraft included, where that kind of anonymity is out of place. If you want to use some public services then one could also consider it a bit of a courtesy to do so in "public". And I use "" because its obviously not fully public. If I didn't share that I live in the Netherlands then none of you would be the wiser. None but the forum administrators who could look up the location of my IP address.

I like to compare this to visiting a library or public playground. You don't go there masked to keep your identity hidden.
    607, jkjkjk182 and autumnrain26 like this.
  16. According to: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...nce-between-hashing-and-encryption-algorithms sha1/256 is a hash type. Computers are becoming so powerful they can reverse the hash. It is believed md5 has fallen to this and sha1 is becoming more insecure.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. Now I see where you're coming from. Yeah, totally agreed. Its not fully impossible to regain the results. Quite hard where sha256 is concerned, but definitely not impossible.
  18. To 'crack' sha256 would require quantum computers, which luckily don't exist yet...
  19. Hard enough that EMC is not a very interesting target to someone who is that smart. Those people are hacking 'sony' or banks or some commercial retail outlet with potential money or "BIG" public profile and seeking fame. In terms of security, our risk is minimal and the exposure in a case such as this is very limited. Nobody has cracked the servers or gained access to anything secret. Temporary access to the broadcast message system of a minecraft server is a prank that doesn't really qualify as a 'hack' in my opinion.
    607 likes this.