Replacing the bedrock bridges. What block?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, May 9, 2018.

1. Agreed.
    khixan and FadedMartian like this.
  2. Black Concrete for the goth look.

hah

White concrete & quartz & stand-stone in pattern with gold and prismarine filigree.

Ben dene.

Suggest you hold a building contest. People can prototype their bridges with a rule that the build should compliment the biome and the surrounding landscape. The build should also be unique.

Prototypes for judging would be pillars and lengths of bridgeway. Not an entire bridge would need to be built so that the bridge designs could be modular (ie spawn the bridge sections like buildings).
    We3_MPO, Tuqueque and FadedMartian like this.
  3. Perhaps a combination of cobblestone and dirt? Or even coarse dirt-- adds texture?
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.
  4. I suggest making each community customize it to their liking (in a sort of mini contest, but not really, since all players which participate/use that road will work towards that specific road design)

Instead of a standard design across SMPS
  5. Lets go back to the old highway style: 1-wide dirt paths about 15 off the ground, lit up with torches, just like it was before the 1.0.0 reset. :p
  6. Terracotta
    We3_MPO likes this.
  7. Unprotected TNT please.
  8. I always thought the bedrock looked nice, a symbol of stability and sturdiness. However, since we're thinking of replacing it, how about obsidian? (Protected/unbreakable of course.)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  9. Dang man, didn't realize you've been on since 2011. Congrats mate, you remember the days of a simpler Minecraft. :)
    Stone is also an idea, as long as it's protected.
    Tuqueque, jaari, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Well, to be fair, it was a mixed dirt/cobblestone path. People usually lived about 100 blocks off each other. There wasn't even any fear of griefing, and any that happened was patched up very quickly. It was a highway after all.
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  11. Dead Saplings
    607 and Ethy202 like this.
  12. I wouldn't mind assisting in cleaning up south frontier spawn, if that's the kind of job you're looking for assistance with
    We3_MPO likes this.
  13. Thanks for all the insight! This project will be starting soon.
    khixan, We3_MPO, MoreMoople and 3 others like this.
  14. For those newer, I installed these roads many years ago as a way to help players travel in the frontier. We did not have any way to protect them outside of residences which isn't a valid method, so I used bedrock. There was torches too, but you can figure most were taken.

Now we can do any style and protect it
  15. #MakeNoteBlocksBlockofTheWeek
    We3_MPO likes this.
  16. Just kind of stumbled upon this discussion. Maybe the bridges being discussed here can benefit from what I have experienced while building my 'Skyway' idea. Cubefragment and I built it. Here is a link to the Live Map coordinates.

https://smp7.emc.gs/?worldname=wilderness&mapname=flat&zoom=3&x=1000117&y=64&z=999935

The base idea was to have something elevated and safe from spawns. Like having an OP Extension. The idea grew to include these points. . .

- Something all of EMC can use. A possible place for a market outside of town. (Doesn’t appear that’ll happen . . . I didn’t know.)

- A five block wide walkway. Seven when including the edges.

- Simple design to allow for other structures to transition/attach to it

- Light posts and places to accommodate Banners (Addresses for shops)

- Block choice to suit the local area (This case Sandstone + Red Sandstone)

- Beacons . . . gotta have beacons. :) (All Buffs)

- Cardinal directions that can be identified on the Live Map

- The right height for the surrounding topology

- Access

- Far enough out from the OP to allow for Locked Chests

. . . What I got was a 200 Block radius ring at Y:75 around the South East Outpost (Still a work in progress). You should check it out. Maybe it’ll spark an idea we haven’t thought of yet. I have added a couple buildings at the North Tower. The Skyway itself is spawn free, but I think a couple of the buildings to the North need tweaking. Got jumped by a Skeleton today while taking the attached snapshots . . .

-BZ
  17. . . . So to explain more points of my opinion about this topic.

- No exotic blocks, keep it simple. I'm thinking it'll be an eyesore if it isn't. Something that can be seen but doesn't slap you in the face. There has been mention of using Stone Slabs. Well, each slab has a visual edge to it. Running over such a slab road may get irritating after a while with lines in such close proximity. I would suggest a slab without such differing/defined edges to avoid the eye strain. Sandstone works well for instance. Lines or changes in the road to indicate movement or to signify a mile marker of some kind may work though. Also striking color would likewise be irritating. Quartz or similar white blocks I fear would be just too bright

- Not ornate or embellished unless the area has some significance so as members spread over the Frontier they can attach or add to the structure. Intricacies in a base design would leave no room for change.

- Elevated. Ground level may require too many lights to maintain any sense of security, which may make it unsightly. Although with future MOBs current designs may fall short in the 'security' department, but an elevated road would leave room under it for a member added sub-road or platform like what can be seen in the last picture of my previous post for protection from aerial attacks. Y:75 seems to work well for my Skyway. May also be best to have the same elevation wherever the road may go to avoid complexities for the making of it and inspire diversity in how members interact with it.

- A design that can be easily replicated by members. What if the Staff decides not to incorporate tunnels in this effort? If say the roads are elevated and at Y:75 . . . Any terrain above Y:76 may not have a road. Personally I think it would be lazy of us to expect a Staff effort that provides a complete, all encompassing, ground based, travel solution. I would rather tunnels were not included. This scenario would be fine with me. Heh, even my suggestions may be over the top, but if you're going to do it . . . .

. . . just a Live Map 3D view of the Skyway on SMP7

-BZ
    Rhycicles, cubefragment, 607 and 2 others like this.
  18. The choice of blocks you have looks nice! At least it does in desert, savanna, plains, and forest areas anyways, but those are very casual biomes (besides ocean) compared to the rest, so it shouldn't be an eyesore in most biomes.
    607 and Bravo_Zulu like this.
  19. . . . Oh . . . One other thing. In my opinion the roads do not need to change to match the biome. Just use the same blocks wherever the road goes . . . Bridges can change as they tend to be particular to the need.
    - BZ
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  20. Woah, that looks great!
    We3_MPO and Bravo_Zulu like this.