Random Cool Commands!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Matherox, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Hi gang!

Lets continue with another one... Removing flags vs. denying flags.

Say you give me build permission on your residence, you'd use: /res pset shelluser build true. Now, once I'm done building its obviously safer to remove the flag again. Considering that you first used true you can now use false, right?

Well, yes and no...

If you'd use /res pset shelluser build false you won't remove the flag but instead set it to false. Although this works perfectly, now I can't build on your res. anymore, it also has a side effect: if you use this more often to give out flags and deny them then your residence list can become cluttered with deny flags. And that can make things a lot harder to see.

I'll show you an example of my 3rd residence where I just gave a friend of mine a build flag, then denied it:

So you could also consider using: /res pset shelluser build remove instead. This would actually remove my build flag so that my account won't be listed on your residence list anymore.

If I do the same in the example above then you get to see this:

As you can see Palmsugar's name no longer appears in the list.

Now, you may wonder why you should bother. After all; in both cases you got the same result.

Well... Lets assume we're using the 'use' flag. You gave lots of people a use flag, then you removed it by setting it to false (as seen in my first example). Then one day you decide that you could just as well give everyone a use flag because.. What's the harm anyway?

So you then use: /res set use true.

And this is where things will go wrong: although most people will now be able to use things on your residence, the people who you gave a use flag to and then denied it later cannot. Because you never removed the flag, instead you gave them a use deny flag. So now that everyone can 'use' things on you residence those people cannot.

As such my tip: if you want to remove a flag from a player use /res pset <name> <flag> remove instead of false.
    607 and AnonReturns like this.
  2. Cool beans. This is so helpful.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. D: !
    Why bother indeed, everyone should just give me build flag.
    Don't listen to Shelluser's 'advice', people. :3
  4. True. I often see reses that have cluttered info like that, and I totally forgot about the remove option.
    There's one thing I don't get though... Why would you want Palmsugar to not be able to build on your residence?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Who says I wouldn't? ;) When I write messages like that I write unprepared and in the moment. While I was writing I used my smp5 vacation res. as an example and also needed someone. Since I was on smp5 the first person who came to mind was Palm ;)
    607 likes this.
  6. These are not / commands, but still worth mentioning, I think...

Right-click while holding your pick/sword/shovel/bow to re-sync the durability with the server.
    This will give you an accurate view of your durability.

Also, the keyboard F3 shortcuts are nice.
    press and hold F3+H = Toggles Durability and long item descriptions when you hover your mouse over an item
    press and hold F3+B = Toggles Hit boxes around mobs
    press and hold F3+A = Reload Chunks
    press and hold F3+T = Reload Textures
    tuqueque, 607, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  7. I didn't know the Reload chunks one.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  8. dupe item(s) in hand to a full stack: *** removed by staff
  9. or the pick block key???
  10. ***removed by staff works in survival mode :p
  11. Or how about not.
  12. lol it doesn't actually work :p
  13. Named vault pages

To most people, myself included for not too long ago, the /vault is basically an easy way to transfer your items from one server to another. But its easy to overlook the fact what the /vault actually is: one huge inter-server enderchest ;)

If you get 5 or more pages then vault usage will be free, which can make the vault a very handy option to use as your own personal storage facility no matter where you are in town. Ideal if you need to haul larger quantities of items around. Better yet: using the /vault as storage will also make sure that your stuff remains safe, even if you go derelict. Your residence may disappear, but your /vault will remain.

But how do you keep track of what you got stored? Well, you can rename vault pages...

If you use /vault name x <name> then you can rename page x. In the example above you can see that I have a page for transferring items, one page for mined materials and 3 pages which I dedicated to enderpearls, cobblestone and clay.

So if I need access to my cobblestone while in town I simply use: /vault cobble.

This can really be an invaluable way to expand on your existing storage. While also making sure that our stuff is absolutely safe.

Do you want to make absolutely sure that your precious and valuable promo's can never be stolen by anybody? Then why not dedicate a vault page to them? You'll always be able to access them when you're in town and can be assured that no one else can.

So yah: /vault, its usable for a lot more than just transferring items :)

PS: if you want to check up on your vault pages you can use: /vault info.
    607 and cadgamer101 like this.
  14. Hmm, even though I watched this thread, I am not getting alerts.. weird..
  15. Make sure you have seen all of the pages. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. Thanks
  17. You can use /res pset <res#> username flag t/f/r to set a flag while not in the residence.
    If I wanted to give chickeneer build permission on residence 11362 from the nether, I could:
    /res pset 11362 chickeneer build t
    cadgamer101, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  18. OMG this is sooo useful for me! XD Thanks so much! :)
    cadgamer101 and ShelLuser like this.
  19. It's that time of the week again...

Now, before I continue I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I didn't discover this command myself. One of the 'Dragon players' on SMP2 (dragon* ... something; there are at least 2 of them and I don't know exactly who anymore) pointed my attention to it while we were both trying to help out a player who came back after becoming derelict (and who discovered his residences to be gone).

You probably know that you can use /res list to list the residences you have, but did you know that it works for other players too?

/res list <playername>, where 'playername' is obviously the name of the player who's residences you'd like to see.

This can be helpful to check if a player actually has any residences, but also to simply get some basic information on them (like the residence number).
    607 likes this.
  20. I didn't actually know about /res list at all! I always just used /res info.