Is EMC asking us to pay rupee tax next week? (closed)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Mar 27, 2015.

?

Would you be ok with a 8% yearly EMC tax?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2015.
Yes 13 vote(s) 11.5%
I don't know 6 vote(s) 5.3%
No 68 vote(s) 60.2%
I like ponies! 20 vote(s) 17.7%
Other (please comment below) 6 vote(s) 5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm pretty sure if we had to pay taxes there would be an announcement on the front page by now...
    MrsWishes likes this.
  2. Plus my tea party.
    Come on guys! We can have some cake too! Not just tea! Maybe even coffee!
  3. Taxes? *dies*
  4. Who needs money anyway? :p
    607 likes this.
  5. Least we can adopt a item trade system xD
  6. There are no "empire taxes." Even if there were, imagine how many players would be upset, and some may even leave. This isn't the goal of EMC, and I really don't think any of our staff would want to forcefully take players' money.

Then again, it would get many of us used to the real world; having taxes on anything and everything we own. :p
    SEPTHEKID and MrBOBY02 like this.
  7. #NoTaxationWithoutRepresentation
  8. You can start paying me 500 rupees daily! You can wait until tomorrow if you like. ;)
    607 and Todd_Vinton like this.
  9. 1. Get rid of daily sign-in rupee bonuses, or limit it to new and returning players (meaning players who haven't logged on in _really bug number_ days).

2. Limit the Empire shop to new Players under ___ days old, and let the Player economy set prices on items.

3. Set up a better way to access information in-game about available Player Shops and the number of items being offered for sale/purchase at each, instead of the current random and annoying shop teleport that often takes you to the same shops over and over and over until you finally visit a fresh one.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  10. Now, to be honest, I feel like I am blowing on a (dying) bonfire here, but I needed to post my opinion on this and recent events. Also, this is all speculation and should not be taken as fact.

Evidently, you all are not so fond of the tax idea. One of many, it would be a handle so to speak for Aikar to keep hold on the economy. The more players play on EMC, the more the economy will have a mind of its own and the harder it will be to control. And the bigger the economy, the bigger the handle needs to be. If the economy crashes and burns, it hurts everyone. And this isn't real life where you just gotta keep on livin'. It is a game. Games are meant to be fun. The moment a game stops being fun, the less people will play them (hopefully we aren't so addicted to gaming that we would keep playing if it wasn't fun...). The fewer people there are playing on EMC, the emptier Aikar's pocket grows, as we've all heard a rant or two about why EMC needs donators. All of the maintenance and advertising and whatever else Aikar pays for would force him to stop EMC. So basically, he needs a handle on the economy.

So why does it have to be taxes?

To put it simply, it doesn't. As it appears in this thread, it was only some idea some random mod, or even normal community member came up with (yes, that implies that mods are not normal... :p). It was not even close to the stage where Aikar begins to think about details, it was simply an idea, sort of like the state of the "normal update" about two years ago. (For all those who were unaware, the normal update was later dubbed the survival update) No one knew anything yet, even if it would be implemented or not, it was simply some random thought some random person came up with and stuck in the back of their head. That is how drama starts. The idea gets "leaked," and it gets changed like stereotypical gossip, getting worse and worse every time. Then people only listen to the bad, and freak out like we saw in the other thread. No one listened to the good things that the taxes could actually do for all of us.

What are these good things I speak of?

Taxes take money out of the economy. The less money in the economy the more it is worth. Although this is influenced by other factors as well, it is necessary to keep the economy stable. Logically, every player that enters the empire brings in more rupees, this being through voting, sign in bonuses, etc. They also bring in new items to the economy. This inflates the economy like a balloon, and eventually, you will either let out some air or allow it to pop. The pop would be an economy crash, while the air being let out would be deflation. So as far as actual good things go, cheaper prices on everything as well as maybe getting to see Todd Vinton get below a quadrillion rupees for once.

Do I like the tax idea?

No. Nononononononononono. It is a method of draining out rupees, but it is definitely among the least effective, not to mention most despised. Even though it may not affect players directly, I would yell out every time I that I would see this:
    "Bought 8 diamonds from Todd_Vinton for 960 rupees"
    "79 rupees were deducted from your balance as a sales tax"
    It wouldn't do anything other than cause drama. There are other rupee sinks out there, like expensive /shop only promos, senior staff services, etc. I think that the most effective way to permanently fix the economy would to Permbann Todd_Vinton (among another few, sorry to pick on you so much Todd) :p
    My opinion on recent demotions?

I am not so happy to see lots of great members who do/did so much on the contribution team just get demoted for one slip up. This would have been one HELLA of an April fools joke... But to see the staff team retaliate so harshly makes me somewhat sad. Then again, I am in no place to judge their decisions, I have little knowledge of what actually happened behind the scenes anyways.

I hope that you all find this post beneficial and not adding to the heat. :) Let's hope that everything turns out as it should.
  11. Wait, you're saying EMC can have a stock market crash? O_O
    boozle628 likes this.
  12. No, a recession and Great Depression.
    Mayoman100 and boozle628 like this.
  13. ...Well then. That's very reasuring.
    boozle628 likes this.
  14. Not really, we don't have stocks to crash. But the economy itself can crash without a stock market. I cannot recall any times on EMC in recent history where we have had any noticeable recessions, but we definitely have them. As far as I know however, we have never had a depression on the implied sort of scale.
    Mayoman100 likes this.
  15. Holy hell. Any senior staff or admin reading this (ahem.... kryssy and akiar...... watch out... many people will start leaving if yall implement this foolish tax... I already left once, and I will leave again.... Wtf going on!?!?!?
  16. PS-- a shitstorm has been started with the whole censorship topic, and I have to admit: sensoring someone's opinion is just messed up. :oops:
  17. While I do think this is bogus, why have no staff responded to this yet? It has been up for a little bit and it is a pretty active thread, yet no staff have commented. A few staff liked some post, but no staff have denied or confirmed anything.
    607, Cchiarell6914 and PenguinDJ like this.
  18. My gut is telling me that they've been told that they would be demoted like 3 members of the contribution team if they were to speak out on this specific topic.... #censorship
  19. Hmm... I should probably not post this, but meh. I've taken it this far already.

As said, I don't hold grudges but I do start to get slightly annoyed with the way the staff currently tries to ridicule us. Maybe that's not their intent, to be honest I really don't know, but it sure as heck feels that way. And that sometimes bothers me a little.

I've been thinking all night whether I should or shouldn't post this, but what the heck...

Earlier today TechNinja asked BlackKnight (moderator) about this tax:

(I've cut out the rest of the chit/chat and I'm only sharing relevant parts)

Code:
    [20:14:12] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: BK, is empire tax true ._.
    [20:14:16] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ? BlackKnight1021: No
    [20:14:33] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ? BlackKnight1021: We would never take rupees from players forcefully
    [20:14:44] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ShelLuser: meh, nice coverup :P
    [20:14:55] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: Then why is there so much controversy over it?
    [20:15:01] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ? BlackKnight1021: Honestly, no idea
    [20:15:03] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T cadenman2002: I kinda believe it, with some of the Contrib. members being demoted.
    [20:15:11] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ? BlackKnight1021: Some rumors just catch fire
    [20:15:14] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: Yeah
    [20:15:16] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ShelLuser: uh huh
    [20:15:25] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ShelLuser: thats one way to put it I suppose :P
    [20:15:38] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: Contribution members were demoted? o.o
    [20:15:50] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T cadenman2002: *He's
    [20:16:21] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ShelLuser: tech: yah, but thats probably not something I'm allowed to talk about right now
    [20:16:34] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: That stinks
    [20:16:53] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T TechNinja_42: I hope there isnt another incident similar to the one surrounding ICC's demotion
    [20:16:53] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T cadenman2002: I was very disappointed by that.
    [20:17:13] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ShelLuser: tech: well, 4 pages of forum complaints.
    [20:17:28] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T ? BlackKnight1021: Well, the past is over. There is no Empire tax, and there never will be

With some apologies to BK because I know I acted a bit hostile here. Its nothing personal, but... as said I get annoyed over these things. As if we "simply" got demoted over "nothing". Because "nothing happened" and "its not true".

Earlier today a friend of mine insisted that I'd come over to the Mob arena because Rainbow chin was going to get crazy again (in a good way mind you, guess I'd better mention that because who knows what might happen).

I got angry but restrained myself because the last thing I wanted was to spoil the fun (in all honesty; it was a very good session, Chin really knows what he's doing).

So simple question for you guys, is this coincidence or not?

Just to avoid being accused of censorship or faking or whatever I will now share the full log:

Code:
    [22:18:20] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ElfBomb: so you have been warned players :P
    [22:18:24] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R SkeleTin007: <skeleton noises>
    [22:18:25] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? BlackKnight1021: Love me
    [22:18:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? ItsMeMatheus: t/ell BlackKnight Just deny it until the public announcement, better this way
    [22:18:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ShelLuser: uhm :P
    [22:18:32] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R Qkazoo07: you dont get thatO:<
    [22:18:35] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R GirlOnUrScreen: love me!
    [22:18:35] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? RainbowChin: If you are seen with items, you will be removed from the Arena
    [22:18:35] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? Aphaea: :O
    [22:18:39] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] T eman7777777: 3spooky9me
    [22:18:40] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? BlackKnight1021: Math!
    [22:18:41] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? ItsMeMatheus: ... wrong chat
    [22:18:44] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? Aphaea: grr
    [22:18:48] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R SkeleTin007: nope nothing on me
    [22:18:49] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R Qkazoo07: wow matheus
    [22:18:51] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R Naekal: haven't been in this arena for quite some time
    [22:18:54] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R XxE3choxX: deny what?
    [22:18:55] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R Qkazoo07: first the fall in fnm now this :p
    [22:18:57] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ShelLuser: math: deny it?
    [22:19:01] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? ItsMeMatheus: hm?
    [22:19:05] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R gasattakk: i typed /c r
    [22:19:09] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R Chespinlover77: Quack
    [22:19:09] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R SkeleTin007: closing soon guys
    [22:19:10] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R PenguinDJ: Well that might be a terrible spoiler
    [22:19:11] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R BRYCEHUNT10: what if i have one in my invatory doe that coount rainbowchin
    [22:19:12] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ShelLuser: math: denying the facts again I assume?

In case you missed it:

[22:18:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] R ? ItsMeMatheus: t/ell BlackKnight Just deny it until the public announcement, better this way

Of course I got no further answer from Math about it.

I was going to /tell him a piece of my mind (nothing too hostile, most certainly nothing disrespectful) but considering that Math was busy helping out Chin in the arena I decided against it.

After carefully thinking this over I now decided to post this stuff.

You guys be the judge of things.

Something stinks here and it aren't my feet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.