The EMC "Tax" and you (closed)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Kephras, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We could do something like stocks. We put in money and it can be doubled or lowerd
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. I have 2 thoughts. My first would be, 8%? In MI, its only 6%. For example, if I were to buy something for 20 Rupees, it would be 21 rupees. I was thinking maybe too implement an automatic everyday sign in. I think adding it to the shops would just discourage players from shopping, and instead go to the waste. My 2nd thought is that why? What would be the point? You probably answered that, I'm just to lazy to read the details.
    Equinox_Boss and ItsMeWolffpack like this.
  3. What if it was based on how close the shop was to the server spawn? Make it more real
  4. So basically a contest to raise money for a contest. I can see where you're coming from, but that'd be even less efficient than just asking for donations.

Again, I'm just speculating here, but I feel fairly certain we would not be seeing fractions of a rupee - more likely, if the tax is less than 1r, it would simply be omitted. Or rounded up / down as appropriate.

Thank you. Hopefully we can get this sorted out (one way or another) soon, and soothe a few of those ruffled feathers.
  5. Here's what will happen if there will be/won't be taxes.

No Taxes :) - Everyone cheers and throws parties every minute.

Taxes :( - *200 players rage quit* Kryssy was banned by Kryssy Reason: there's no point in living.

:D
  6. But you can't help on where you are put. That would be unfair to the people far away. It would be harder to start out on the server, with so many resses close to spawn claimed. But I do agree. Make it more real.
  7. So you skipped over the big bold part that said "Why would EMC do this" and went right to the bit with all the details (the one that explains the 8% / shop-sign stuff)?
    You have a very weird concept of lazy... :confused:
  8. Not really. How often are there big events? Once a month maybe longer? Run this every week. But this is just 1 alternative.

Side note... I'm not personally attacking you on this subject. Merely discussing. (Some people take it as a personal attack :p)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. I'm fine. I can only speak to what I "know," which isn't a great deal in this case. Did what I could to clear the air, the rest will have to sort itself out.
  10. Since you started a new thread, I will repeat my post from the other thread:

And now a few other comments:

I'm pretty sure that even if a lottery were set up, donations would still be accepted. I think a lottery would be a great idea.

Here's another idea. How many players log onto EMC every day? Multiply that number by the daily log-in bonus. That's a lot of rupees, of which I'm pretty sure a large portion of players don't really need. How about (as I suggested above), we eliminate this daily bonus except for players who are still new to EMC and instead funnel these rupees into the Events fund. You could even make it an optional setting that a player could turn on and off, which would make diverting those funds the players choice and give them rupees if they felt they needed them. I would support this.

A tax I would not support. Fix the other issues with the economy before trying to implement something like this. I would understand if EMC were a true economy server but the fact is that it's not. It's a sort of hybrid with an economy that kind-of works. A tax would just make me stop purchasing from shops or stop using rupees altogether depending on whether it was sales or income tax. Based on the 60% who voted on the other thread that they would not support a tax, I'm guessing there might be enough other people who would boycott this idea that it would actually backfire and harm the economy rather than helping it.
  11. This 8% tax on shop sales is not a good idea for several reasons.
    Here are 4 of them:

* The primary purpose of currency (rupees) is to allow for easy and cheap exchange of goods and services. Simple sales tax works directly against that, it hinders the exchange.

* Consider this: My shop is buying 10 diamonds for 1155r and selling for 1165 r, so my margin here is 10 r.
    A sale tax of 8% would be 1165 x 0.08 = 93 r
    That means, the tax would be over 9 times higher than my earning, meaning that if I wouldn't change that shop signs, I would lose 83 r on each such transaction - selling of 10 diamonds.

* This kind of tax is not fair, because for some items it is applied only once, but for some other items multiple times:
    Consider potion brewing:
    - you first need to buy resources, the tax is applied when you buy them
    - then you make the product out of the resources
    - when you sell the product the tax is applied again - also on the ingredients in it

* It is not fair, that a producer who sells in a shop would be taxed, but the one selling at an auction wouldn't. It is not fair that someone offering a service would not be taxed, but someone who is farming and selling in a shop would.

But this is just the surface, just the tip of an iceberg of problems that would emerge when an unfair / crude / clumsy tax would be introduced.

Tax politics is all but simple. One always has to consider the whole picture and ensure that the natural relation / balance between the effort and the value is not disturbed.

EMC (top) staff would be ill advised not to consult the community and discuss the issues before considering introduction of (such) taxes.

What is the problem, what are the issues?

Need rupees for events and contests?
    Ask for participation and donation.

Too high rupee influx?
    That will heal automatically through inflation. Just don't add more rupee influx.

Too instable due to fluctuating player and rupee influx?
    Reduce the rupee influx.

Want better economy for EMC?
    Improvement is possible for mutual benefit. Let us work on that.
    I'll be glad to help. I was pointing out the problems of EMC economy for years, it would be a dream come true for me to see some progress in this field. But I wouldn't support a solution that would be less than respectful towards the people here, towards the community.

What are the goals?
    - For the community?
    - For the provider?

Is there a conflict?
    Is it unavoidable?
    What are the priorities?

EMC is not a "real economy server" and this is the reason for EMC to have a much better, natural economy that serves the community.
    Equinox_Boss and Deadmaster98 like this.
  12. Staff demoting you is pretty pathetic.
  13. The powers that be made their choice and took what they felt was the appropriate action. It is not our place to judge why that people were canned from their spot, and a post like this serves no purpose other to stir up drama.

That being said, let's get back to the topic at hand, and hopefully leave it there.

Keeping in mind this all hearsay right now.... and all of this is just musings and discussion of the higher powers.... and may be implemented... or may not... I don't think an 8% tax on shop signs is that big of a deal. It is especially not as huge of a deal as most are making it out to be.

All major MMO's have a tax on their major economic drivers. WoW has one on it's auction house, FFXIV has the same, etc.

Going off the model that Kephras stated, it's JUST on shop signs. There are ways to circumvent it if you are wholly opposed to paying it.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and Kephras like this.
  14. Personally I think this was an idea for an April fool's joke and so its working :)

I also think that there would be a legal issue with regard to the purchase of rupees and then taking a percentage of them back for taxation, I am not 100% on that but it would not be right.

With regard to being a staff member, please keep in mind that to have the post you need to be an up standing kind of person. Someone that the community would look up to and someone the staff team can work with.

You are a representative of the server and while not perfect you are expected to follow the rules like everyone else, there are a few rules particular to being staff.

Every organisation has a conduct code that staff must follow, sometimes when a staff member goes against this they are disciplined or in some cases dismissed.

It is impolite for Sr staff to go into details of why another staff member was removed and I am sure that the ex-staff member would also not to want to go into the full details.

It is easy to say It's petty and the like but we do not and will not know fully why the decision was made. Don't let this put you off from applying, many ppl are staff and remain staff without a problem. Some like me stand down for other reasons without a problem.
    Equinox_Boss, Abele and MrsWishes like this.
  15. Where did this tax idea/rumor come from?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. My shop would be basically tax free. im on the outskirts of town
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. I feel like everyone has expressed their opinion, and now its being resolved behind-the-scenes. :)
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  18. Nah, the tea party works better. Plus, cake is better than hashtags:)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. This player wins a medal. From my experience here, the only good deal we got was the 9PM mobarena hosted by Rainbow. Of course, that would fluctuate as it was based in GMT and BST.

Even "Friday Night Miners" turns into "Saturday Morning Miners", and not just for the people that are there for 5 hours from the US.
    Equinox_Boss and Deadmaster98 like this.
  20. Hm, I think my opinion on the matter may have changed.
    At first I really thought I wouldn't mind it, but now more details are getting clear and people are expressing their opinions... this might actually not be as healthy as I thought.
    I'm not sure... but as always, I'm not one to decide or judge, so we'll just see how this plays out, and I'll find a way to handle it, I guess.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.