[Giveaway] 34k Giveaway + Please delete my posts

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by 72Volt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. 617. gonna miss you lad.
    Equinox_Boss and 72Volt like this.
  2. 157 Please
    34k Items.. Wow, would it include promos?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. they have 34k rupees and left over items
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Ty for the giveaway, and if I see any of your messages I'll report to staff to delete (unless it's a bid on an auction etc).
    164 please, haven't looked through to see if taken but hopefully not :)
    Equinox_Boss, 72Volt and allygirl5 like this.

5. I appreciate the sentiment. Unfortunately, my intended future career will, if all goes well, involve me entering public life. I will face much scrutiny. Real life friends know I play Minecraft as 72Volt, and some know that I have played on Empire Minecraft. All it takes is one person mentioning those details publicly for someone with a vendetta against me to come here looking through my post history. Out of nearly 4,000 posts, there will inevitably be something which could cause me damage, and will cause me trouble.

It's not just the case that I'd be embarrassed - it could cause me real, substantial trouble in future I'd rather not have.

(Also, bump!)
  6. Shit. Oh, wait, that's not allowed anymore, is it? Sorry; Carrot, then.
    That makes me sad, and it's frankly disappointing.
    Post #45 in this thread seems like quite valid reasoning, though... But still, this comes as a very unpleasant surprise to me... :(
    UltiPig and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. I kind of feel like creating personal back-ups, but I also feel like I shouldn't do that, out of respect.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Number 383, please. :)

I hope you do consider returning in the future some time, as it'd be great seeing you again. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. Last night, I realised something that scared me.
    I didn't panic, and managed to stay in bed and wait for the next day... but it still came as a bit of a shock when I realised it.

Besides a major part of EMC's history being cut out and many threads becoming significantly less readable, will this delete lots of our posts?
    It probably will...
    Should I expect myself to be down potentially 100's of posts in a few weeks?
    I wouldn't like that, to be honest...
    Edit: 100's is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but still. To me, it's significant.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.

10. Well, I did it anyway. I made a copy of If EMC were a school, and the players were classmates, what would they be like, and I think I'll keep that. I'm quite attached to it.
    I also saved I'm selling my soul for Bitcoins., but I think I'll regret that and delete it within a few hours to some weeks.
    I was tempted to download some other threads like your Farewell thread, but decided not to. I can't keep everything, unfortunately.
    Oh, actually, I'm regretting saving I'm selling my soul for Bitcoins. already, I'd understand if you'd rather have it deleted. I'll get rid of it. :/
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. As much as I understand this sentiment, I'm sure you know full well that attempting to bury, cover up, or erase one's past doesn't work, and can often lead to more trouble for the attempt. As others have pointed out, we all say things we regret or later think better of - people grow, learn, change, opinions shift, it's all part of life.

Erasing yourself from EMC isn't the solution. No matter how well you cover your tracks or where, something is going to crop up that "will cause you trouble." What counts is how you deal with it, when the time comes.

"Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, and be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
  12. Thank you! 35
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. Very inspirational and all - but I never claimed that I'm going to be able to eliminate damage, just reduce it ;)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. Feel free to create personal backups so long as you're not publishing anything!
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  15. 973 please. Thanks for this giveaway!

Couldn't you ask staff for your threads to just be deleted, that would remove a substantial amount of your posts, surely.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. It may help you to know that there are organizations which take frequent "snapshot copies" of the internet for historical record. These are available to the public and go back for many years. I don't say this to alarm you, but rather I'd just like you to be aware that content posted on the public internet is essentially permanent.
    72Volt, 607, Kephras and 2 others like this.
  17. if it not takes I would like number 444 pls! :D
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. I think you're making a grave mistake. Running away from your past does not change the guy you are today. In fact, I even dare to go further: trying to change or obfuscate your past may even make you look 'bad' in comparison.

Also, why get others involved? You out of all people should know your past. So obviously you'll also know some of the posts you're not too proud off. Why not target those posts specifically? Xenforo provides plenty of ways to dig through your posts.

Reason I think this is a bad idea is two fold... First, the obvious, you say you're not proud of your past but now basically scream out to everyone to go over it again. With all due respect, but that could also work against you.

Second... Yeah, I went back to 2012 because you made me curious and I see what you meant about some of your posts. But I also came across plenty of posts which had meaning, which really added something to the thread. You just want to zap all of those as well?

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right to me. What about players who actually enjoyed those posts?

But most of all....

Can't you do your own dirty work? ;)

No offense intended, but you can delete all your posts yourself if you want to. The only thing you can't do yourself is if you started a thread. I'm not just saying... This thread is the one I'm least proud off, even though I do think it set something good in motion. I can delete each and every one of my posts in there. Except the first. So... surely you can do the same?

Why ask players to report posts while there might be a chance that those could be picked up as false reports? I know you said you talked to staff about that, I don't dispute that, but it still seems a bit odd to me. Especially because you can make your posts go away with one click on the 'delete' button.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Equinox_Boss, 607 and Kephras like this.
  19. Why a vendetta against you? Also why would it be bad? But it's your choice!
    So good to be recognized when I'm so new!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  20. Hope all goes well in your future, 789 if you will.
    Equinox_Boss and Pab10S like this.