Foreign Languages?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rykly18, Oct 24, 2016.

?

Foreign Language?

Spanish 23 vote(s) 32.9%
Latin 7 vote(s) 10.0%
French 12 vote(s) 17.1%
German 6 vote(s) 8.6%
Other (Post in comments!) 22 vote(s) 31.4%
  1. Hello Joseph also known as TakenID, I did not know you were a teacher, and I do know what that says lol
  2. Hmm, not exactly sure I learnt it, probably though; my teacher is /very/ awesome, and she always tells random interesting things. :)
    607 likes this.

3. lol :p you still know something, huh? Noli esse stultus! what's that mean? :eek:
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  4. Don't think I'm stupid, but hey, finals just finished so I feel dumb lol
  5. Hello! you don't want to be foolish! ("wil niet dom zijn" in Dutch, I don't know the exact translation to Englisch) my name is Joseph or TakenID! I am a teacher!
    I guess...
    Wither_Addict, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  6. You are correct lol
    Jelle68 likes this.
  7. I speak English and some Spanish. I would love to learn French or German.
    Wither_Addict likes this.
  8. I fluently speak English and I know a little Spanish since I have to take Spanish in school. I am currently learning Japanese on my own though :D
  9. I have been learning Spanish for about four years now, I am learning German currently since about five or six months ago, and I am learning the Japanese Hiragana alphabet at the moment
  10. American Sign Language is the only language besides my native English that I'm proficient in.

I have a decent grasp of written Spanish and can speak it some but struggle with understanding it when others are speaking, particularly since I learned it from an Ecuadorian and most of the Spanish-speaking people I encounter are of Puerto Rican or Dominican descent.

I also took a year of German in college but really only know the basics.
  11. I took French cause I thought the ladies would dig it if I spoke French to them.
  12. Does it work?
  13. You would ask that. I never really learned a whole lot but that was mostly because my female instructor was particularly fond of me. I guess I didn't really need to learn it. Ce la vie.
    607 likes this.
  14. Relative fluency in Korean but HAS deteriorated over the years , but seeing as I'm moving back, not a problem.
    대한민국!
    I'm taking some Chinese classes in school, but I'm not good at it. (Alright I can't even form a coherent sentence that well)
    607 likes this.
  15. Korean seems very interesting to me, but it also seems very hard to learn, and not very useful for me.
  16. It isn't hard but it isn't all that useful.
    It does have a facinating history; it was created by a minor case of idea diffusion, but mostly original, created by 1 man.
    607 likes this.
  17. Yeah Jelle68! You got it correct! What I said was:

Salve! Noli esse stultus! Meum nomen est Joseph quoque takenID! Ego sum Magister! Do you know what that means Wither?

Which means:

Hello! Don't be stupid! My name is Joseph also (or) takenID! I am a Master (or Teacher)!
    Jelle68 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  18. I studied Spanish during high school many years ago but haven't use it a great deal.

Being a fan of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings", I've picked up on Tolkien's Elvish languages (Quenya and Sindarin.)
    Additionally, I've studied some of Klingon from Star Trek.

Not really foreign languages, but constructed languages.
    607, Ryan_A_ and _Kyoko__Sakura_ like this.
  19. I speak English Italian and some Spanish. I chose Italian because it's awesome. :p

I know how to count to 10 in Korean
  20. Ive always wanted to learn one of those 3 languages but never had the time to, that's awesome!
    jossytheninja likes this.