Foreign Languages?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rykly18, Oct 24, 2016.

?

Foreign Language?

Spanish 23 vote(s) 32.9%
Latin 7 vote(s) 10.0%
French 12 vote(s) 17.1%
German 6 vote(s) 8.6%
Other (Post in comments!) 22 vote(s) 31.4%
  1. I am fluent in french and know some swedish and russian :D

I am brittish
    Wither_Addict likes this.
  2. I speak Evish and English, along with Pig Latin. I can say a few words in French and Italian, can count to 99 in Japanese, and am learning Arabic. French and Italian are from a year on Duolingo, Evish is my native language, my parents taught me English at a very young age, and my dad speaks Japanese and Arabic. I'm not studying Japanese because there's a different letter for pretty much any word. The patterns are too confusing. Arabic has only 24 letters, so that's what I'm learning. I'm using Mango to do so, and work on fluency with my dad.
  3. I took Spanish WAY back from n high school, but only 2 years. I grew up with lots of exchange students & 8 love languages. I know at least a word or phrase in 13 different languages, yet I'm only fluent in English, my native tongue :(.
  4. I speak papiamento, english, dutch and spanish fluently. I also fully understand portuguese & italian. Which i also speak when needed.
    Wither_Addict, TomvanWijnen and Xatez like this.
  5. My native language is Dutch, and I'm also (pretty much) fluent in English.
    I can understand a lot of German, and write/speak (a bit) too, but that's more difficult as I don't really know that many German words by hard yet. Starting my 3rd year on it now. German is much more easy for me, because it's very much like Dutch.
    I'm also starting my 3rd year of Latin (but we're only supposed to translate that, not speak).
    I've also had 3 years of French in school, and 2 years of (old) Greek, but unfortunately had to stop with those.
    I also had a tiny bit of Spanish when I was young, but I stopped with that because both I and the teacher sucked lol.
    ChickenDice, 607 and Wither_Addict like this.
  6. Irish and Spanish because I have to :p
    Gawadrolt, Mob_Meal and Wither_Addict like this.
  7. I am, of corse, Dutch myselve, so I have to have Englisch as foreign langue, as I'm doing gymnasium have I also got the langues German (I have got it for 2 years now) Frensh (3 years) (old)greek (3 years) and latin (3 years) I have also had Spanish, but that was only at primory school, I don't think I know annytrhing about it now.
    TomvanWijnen and Wither_Addict like this.
  8. Living in Texas, it is advantageous to know at least conversational Spanish, so I took 4 years of it in high school. I recall a good majority of little things and can piece together a somewhat coherent sentence, but am definitely not fluent. It's entertaining when people speak Spanish around me and don't expect me to know what they are saying.

Edit: Some other people I know took...

Sister: Russian and Spanish. She wants to work as a Russian diplomat (don't ask) and she has Hispanic ancestry (she's my half sister).

Moose: German and French. It's what his friends were taking and he did what they did so that they all had the same classes.
    TechNinja_42, 607 and Wither_Addict like this.
  9. That's practically the only advantage of Irish except in reverse, if I'm in a country other than Ireland I can have secret conversations with family and friends, at least those that speak it. I amn't fully fluent yet, as it's hard to be motivated to learn a language that's only useful in two professions :p
    Gawadrolt and Wither_Addict like this.
  10. You speak Irish? Not many use it still. I studied some Irish before a trip there May 2015. 16 days there, went all over the country & never really got to use the Irish I learned.
  11. That's because almost nowhere speaks it, Ireland has only been independent for less than 100 years. When the people who came to take over Ireland came, they stamped out Irish and made us speak english (at least I think that's what happened, maybe it was you had to speak English to own property or something?) Anyway, Irish is still spoken by some, but it's pretty dead except it's taught in schools. And if you want to be in politics you need to know how to speak it because old official law texts are written in Irish
    Wither_Addict and Gawadrolt like this.
  12. I was aware of all this before I went. We went to some more remote areas & found that most prefer to speak English, even though you learn both in school.

Are you from Ireland? Lovely country & people... one of my most favorite trips/ places!
  13. Indeed :)
    Wither_Addict and Gawadrolt like this.
  14. The poll should've been multiple-choice.

Anyway: I chose Ancient Greek and Latin. Why? Because they're the most fun by far. I don't like French, and although German is okay as a language, I just don't like language classes in general. Ancient Greek and Latin are much, much different, though, as the focus is more on general language, tricks, poetry, culture, backgrounds, et cetera. Much of what we learn in Dutch class, we have already learnt before in Latin and/or Ancient Greek class.
    My favourite of the two is Latin. Probably because I really like mathematics.

I'm also taking English, obviously, because that's mandatory. It's very boring, though, as I have already learnt everything of use there is to learn there at EMC, it seems.
  15. England invaded you and tried to kill you all. We jumped at every chance we could get to perform genocides against you to weaken the population (example: Irish Potato Famine) and cut your numbers, and gave your land to English lords who attempted to make you assimilate into English culture and be, well, English. This didn't even get close to working, besides in Northern Ireland, which is still pretty much contested territory between the UK and Ireland to this day and was subject to an ethnic, political and religious conflict (a civil war) called the troubles for like, 60 years that only ended in 1998.

This is all from memory of what my Northern Irish granddad told me, and also what I've read on Wikipedia :p

My friend is in Dublin at the moment and has been in Ireland since Saturday, and she keeps sending me pictures of the places she goes. Genuinely jealous. Veeeery pretty country. I was thinking of totally avoiding it in my life - they apparently don't take too kindly to English people (for obvious reasons, I guess), my family was nearly killed in an Irish terrorist attack they performed on my town about 20 years ago so I low-key feared them for much of my life, and I always thought it was too similar to the UK (very ugly country I want to flee) anyway to warrant a visit, but now I'm second-guessing that plan :p
    607 and Wither_Addict like this.
  16. Actually I don't really care... It's not like you're the one who came and took over Ireland, in fact UK+Ireland have gotten over their differences I think? Most people aren't really that anti british, we joke about it but we aren't actually anti british (except those who hold super old grudges) Also some bits are ugly some aren't, depends where you go :)
    607, Wither_Addict and Gawadrolt like this.
  17. I'm currently in Latin II, and no where near fluent. I plan on going to Latin IV because why not lol. I also took to help me understand English better and I thought it would be interesting to try something different, since everyone else was taking Spanish.
  18. Those were my exact thoughts lol
    TechNinja_42 likes this.
  19. I took Spanish in 8th grade and throughout high school. It was okay. I think it would be more useful to learn Chinese or Russian for when they join together and take over the world... :p

I can also do a decent British accent lol.
  20. English and basic proficiency in Spanish. Due to my late grandfather being Hispanic, I feel obligated to know Spanish, and when I can get the money together, hopefully by getting my father on board, we will purchase Rosetta Stone :D