End EMC UHC

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Kephras, Oct 11, 2015.

?

End EMC-hosted UHC events?

Yes 62 vote(s) 64.6%
No 34 vote(s) 35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This event is currently hosted by RainbowChin, who is a Senior Staff for EMC. This in addition to custom prizes being offered means this is an EMC event (noted by an asterisk * on the events calendar)
    607, PenguinDJ and Kephras like this.
  2. It gets a front-page newspost every week when it goes up, is directed solely at EMC's community, and is considered an "EMC" event in terms of rules and enforcement. And as you already know full well, actions there have repercussions on EMC servers as well. Please don't quibble with me over semantic definitions. For all practical purposes, it is most definitely sponsored by Empire Minecraft, even if it's not Aikar running the show over there.
    607, PenguinDJ and Gawadrolt like this.
  3. I'm just gonna respond to this the way I did in the pm. "lol, red team, rules, we do that here?"
  4. Sometimes ;)
  5. Ok, in my previous comment I gave some (hopefully) useful ideas / suggestions on the matter but I haven't really shared my opinion on it.

Quite frankly I'm not too sure if UHC shouldn't be(come) a part of EMC. Yes, it's completely different from what EMC stands for (EMC being a non-PvP server) but as long as its events don't interfere too much with EMC itself then I don't see the harm in it. I like to think that I'm decently aware of some of the things happening on the Empire (though obviously not everything). Yet the UHC drama more or less eluded me.

And mostly because I don't care for PvP; so I basically looked into the thread once, considered if I should attend sometime to spectate, decided against that and I never looked back. The drama around UHC seems to evolve mostly on the UHC server and that particular forum thread. It doesn't impact EMC directly. Or not too much.

Sure; a result of UHC can be that some players suddenly start to dislike other players. But honestly: that's not something which is only limited to UHC. That stuff happens all over the place, even on our family friendly EMC servers.

I don't mind if EMC provides additional / external PvP events. As long as they don't take you by surprise (read: you're mining / adventuring in the waste or frontier and all of a sudden a horde of players comes at you to fight you because "surprise, you're on candid pvp!"). That would be a perfect way to annoy me to no end, and I'm sure that applies to more players.

However....

Apologies up front for bringing up issues from the past, I was planning on sharing this in private but meh.. I'm going to share it here and after that I'm pretty much done with UHC and all the drama that sterns from it (read: I'm not going to argue or comment because, no offense, I consider that a waste of my time). I'm sharing my opinion and this is it.

I have to admit that to this day I still don't feel comfortable with seeing players banned on the Empire itself solely because of events which happened on another server. Do note that I do not question the staffs decision here, in fact I even agree with it mostly because when players cheat 'over there' then it is not unlikely that they also do it 'over here'.

However, the reason I'm still not comfortable with it is because when players cheat on the Empire then that obviously directly affects all of us. They're getting an unfair advantage over other players, which isn't fair nor fun. As such they should be punished (and they are).

But I just can't figure out how cheating on the UHC server affects me as an EMC player... If not caught they can probably win a prize of some sort (so I assume, seems even UCH players aren't really sure about that one) and yah, then what?

In all honesty I don't see how winning such a prize can negatively affect me as an Empire player.

Having said that...

I hope that the staff will re-evaluate the bans which resulted from UHC misbehavior and if the behavior wasn't too much over the top that they'll consider reversing them.

Why? Trust me: not because of the people involved (sorry if that sounds harsh). But because it seems that EMC is trying to make a new fresh start with UHC. New options to catch cheaters, new evaluation of the rules, new evaluation on how to enforce those rules...

So yeah: why not make a real fresh start by including the offenders from the past as well?

Heck: Put them on probation for all I care: if they're caught cheating again (on either UHC or EMC) then they'll suffer more severe consequences. For example: a minimal exclusion of 6 months and only after 6 months will any appeals be honored (I know that sounds extreme, but you got to admit that they had been warned up front).

And that's my say on the matter. Thanks for reading.
    607 and autumnrain26 like this.
  6. MistyLou, Dektirok, DubChef and 8 others like this.
  7. Gawa and Uber are right take the people who start the problems away so the rest of us can enjoy the game.
    Zrugite likes this.
  8. I don't mind seeing UHC, I would just rather have it as a player-run event. I see no need to have a UHC on a server that advocates no pvp.

Please do not add items for it and just make it into a player-run event. I never understood why it was official.
    607, CadenMann and PenguinDJ like this.
  9. I dont want to see them banned outright but its just like anything else. The more you threaten punishment without consequence the more your boundaries will be pushed. The threat here is over the top but the punishments have been completely absent. The trolling on the forums has gone unimpeded and at the game it really hasn't been as bad as it is played up on the forums from what I have seen.

Edit: there is always going to be sore losers. This isn't unique to pvp. You can see the same thing in other emc events. Those people just usually aren't as vocal as the ones that have been center stage for this whole debaucle
    Zrugite and ChickenDice like this.
  10. I havent voted, as I havent participated in uhc. But, it seems by the result of the poll, most are in favor of ending it. To those that voted to end it i ask this: have you tried it? Are there any tweaks in the structure or rule format that would make you change your vote? It seems unfair to let a few bad apples spoil the game for everyone. Just my thoughts, i am not home when its on, so i am unable to try it. Sounds like it would be fun though:)
    607 and CowboyTech12 like this.
  11. The rules are the same as for any other staff-hosted event. It doesn't matter that it isn't on an EMC server ran by Aikar. It was presented as an EMC hosted event. There were explicit rules to not break and people broke them. They don't get off because they cheated 'when it didn't really matter'.
    I'll say very bluntly: Not gonna happen.

Punishments are very active so that statement is incorrect. You can ask those that have received them.

ALSO, I'LL REPEAT:
    UHC IS UNDERGOING RENOVATIONS AT THE MOMENT. HOPEFULLY THE NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION WILL SOLVE THE ISSUES.
  12. Solution! If you wanna play UHC go play somewhere else. I don't want it to end but it seems that many rivalries have been summoned upon us all. Including the team I played with and the red team I think? It's pretty obvious that we're all too childish to get along with eachother so until we all grow up (including myself) it should be put to a halt. Just my opinion don't harass me :)
  13. My qualms against UHC, do not stem from the event itself, rather the fact that it is an off-server event run by senior staff.. Which we all know is "always" acceptable.. I am just surprised that another mass migration has not happened yet over this issue which seems to have mirrored other events. Not to mention, controlled off-server events being suppressed many times before this. I am not defending any other player (past or present) in this issue, nor am I on any side in this matter. I just find the 180 turn about senior staff having off-server events disconcerting.. :oops:

Unfortunately, this does not solve matters, only breeds more derision that further causes discord in EMC and ultimately can cause issues to lead to yet another schism between the players, instigating that mass migration event that I spoke about earlier.

I have not played it, because this exact issue (off-server events) has caused issues in the past and I voted for its end for that reason. I am sure that if you were to ask a few older players what I mean, they would undoubtedly point you in the right direction. The only reason I do not mention it by name still is there is still much derision over the issue, even if the spawned entity from that derision no longer exists.
    Salmatic, Kephras, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Are regular players (non staff) allowed to advertise off server events on Emc?
  15. Yes.

16. There are distinct differences in what goes on now compared to what went on then. This is a server spun up for use ONLY during the event and hosted on a private server, not affiliated with any public servers.

We've always allowed off server events held by players and staff alike. A version of this UHC was once held by JackBiggin in the past. There are rules that must be followed, but as long as they are, there isn't an issue. We even have an entire page of the EMC Wiki devoted to explaining it to players that want to run an off-server event under the Rules and Moderation section: http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/hosting-off-server-emc-events/
    ShelLuser and Markethan13 like this.
  17. Kephras, have you participated in RainbowChin's UHC yourself?
    RainbowChin likes this.
  18. Watch the videos, http://www.hitbox.tv/aikar/videos

It was a pretty traditional death event :p
  19. First off, I have only played UHC maybe once or twice; but I've heard that theres be some drama from two or three people in general. As Krysyy said, UHC is under renovations and its changes will probably fix this issue. While I agree that EMC is a non-player versus player server, I think that means in the /wild or /frontier areas. So in conclusion to all that I've said, lets wait to see what the updates to UHC brings us, then we can make the assumption there; or just not go in general if its that big of a deal to other players ( optional, event still goes on ).
  20. I wont harass but I will say my words....

We aren't childish, let's get that fact straight. If we were we would still continue to fight and bicker. We are facing a rivalry that is a given, but the majority of the fighting is over.

With that said, I actually like the the shut down. It gives us all a break from the drama. As many said, we will see what will happen in the next 2 weeks.
    ShelLuser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.