End EMC UHC

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Kephras, Oct 11, 2015.

?

End EMC-hosted UHC events?

Yes 62 vote(s) 64.6%
No 34 vote(s) 35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It seems these laws aren't doing much, because now there are threads opening up about some newfound drama.
    iNachos10 likes this.
  2. The players were not what got UHC shut down, it was the fact that nothing could be done to fix the server.
    iNachos10 and Codygraw like this.
  3. I've never played UHC, but did it really get shut down? I heard that there was a TON of drama going on about UHC.
  4. Never participated in UHC but damn I always hear drama about it. Y'all need to have a snickers.
  5. That's the thing. The talk about the "drama" is more pervasive than the actual drama and the actual drama could be taken care of with a quick /kick command. Its overplayed, everyone wants to point fingers and have their say and at the end of the day its just three players inciting drama.
    607, DubChef and iNachos10 like this.
  6. Having been to all of the UHC's myself and participated in all but one , yes i watched one of them on a Sunday afternoon, why not? :p I feel like I'm as good as anyone to weigh in on this one.

Keph I understand your ideas of EMC as a server being family friendly and a survival server however let me give you a few points on why that argument i dont think is justified.

1) If you had been to one (not meaning to sound rude) 90% of the player base are actually extremely nice to each other, they get along, they play together, some people even skype/mumble together, so it's bringing the community together to get to one common goal. Just_five_fun even plays with his kids on there (great team btw outlasted me and Kat multiple times!) and they seem to get on just fine, so saying that the idea failed because it constantly lead to drama just because of the same people commenting on that thread, i would not agree with.

2) EMC as a server MUST try new things. We play this server because it's fun, a community based server that our friends play and because we enjoy the survival and economy side of it (this is a huge generalisation but stick with my logic). Apple as a company innovate, 24/7. Anyone from the janitor upwards, if they have an idea of how to make that company better it will be heard out in an honest way. Now, Chin saw an opportunity to have multiple people who enjoy PVP play on his server something which would add a side to EMC we dont really get at the moment. If you dont try it what's the harm as they say? however demanding for something to be shut down, what 4 weeks into it when this thread went up, i cant personally see the logic in. None of the "saltiness" was brought back onto the server, and believe me I watched for that and had my own problems with UHC, but that is another tale.

3 and my final point) Are there or are there not death events on EMC hosted by staff already? We had one today, which was PVP based of punching people off platforms and from what i saw from town chat everyone loved it. No saltiness, no hackusations, nothing bad put on forums, just a really really well planned event from Matheus. Now, if EMC can already host events like that and there be absolutely no problems, what makes you believe it is solely UHC causing it? Could it be the lack of mods involved in watching players, because as far as I'm aware Chin was the only staff member on the server 3 weeks running, and when he had more there it was usually as they were involved in playing.

I agree there are many problems associated with the server, however quashing something which you personally dont agree with I see no benefit in. You wouldn't kill a flower until it had blossomed purely on its looks so why do it to this?
  7. I have no clue what UHC is but it sure sounds like it livened things up.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  8. Because it is completely at odds with what EMC is intended to be. Please don't confuse "innovate" with "diversify" - I'm not adverse to progress, but I won't argue in favor of something that goes against EMC's core principles and vision.

To use your own example, Apple is a manufacturer of electronics & software - consumer technology products. If someone suggested a toaster, it'd be strange but within their market and an opportunity for innovation. If someone suggested they start making TV dinners and a line of frozen pizzas? "Yeah, that's not what we do here."

You can argue UHC both ways depending on your interpretation of what EMC's "market" is I guess, and you've made your case very well. I happen to respectfully disagree that this belongs on EMC at all, period.
    iNachos10, SoulPunisher and 607 like this.
  9. I think the poll sums up the communities opinion on the UHC event.
  10. Again Keph, I agree with your points, however against the core principles i wouldn't. The PVP events held against staff had the server full and 90% of the SMP in the PVP arenas, something which I (no idea if you have before as you've been here longer) have ever seen before. They are something which many of the community like to do, PVP in a controlled environment can be handled well and respectfully. So if the players are there and calling for it, would it not be a good idea to keep players happy? I dont want to have to change servers to go and play a different type of game, I want to stay with my friends and play it here, so why not combine it, making multiple people happy. Sure people like you will think it is against the fundamentals of the server, but you dont need to participate nor be involved in it, so is it really hurting anything? As far as I'm aware none of the saltiness was carried over onto EMC, i never saw people continuing arguments from UHC onto EMC so I see no negative? (apart from on the thread)**

I am not arguing against your views, they are yours to hold, I am however informing the players/members who may chance upon this thread who havent been before to see it in a far better light. Look above at the amount of comments saying "I've never been before but... (insert negative comment regarding the thread, gametype or people involved)". This isn't your fault i agree you even put an edit saying it was your view and nothing else, but preconceived opinions on a topic from multiple players who have never been before, i see no benefit in. It turns players off of going who otherwise would want to. The server worked; there was saltiness after from all of three players and the rest went off without a hitch, so the players bashing that the concept was poor or didnt work I believe need to give it more thought. EMC runs around 300 people a day on a good day across multiple SMP's. Chin had 30+ turn up every Sunday to play, so i think that speaks that a decent amount of members of the community want this.
  11. I haven't played emc uhc in a really long time, and idk if this is the appropriate spot to ask but i'm really curious what happened yesterday? Krysyy said she was "ashamed and appalled" at what happened. Sounds bad...
    607 likes this.
  12. I find it odd that 60+ people have voted against UHC when there have maybe been around half of that at most that have actually attended a UHC. Say a new restaurant opens up and a few people hate the food there and make a point to let everyone know they hate it. They're entitled to their opinions obviously, but if I've never been there personally and tried the food myself should I get a choice to shut the restaurant down if they open up a poll to the community? I don't think I should. I haven't gone to the restaurant. I haven't tried the food. I haven't seen the atmosphere for myself. And I haven't experienced anything personally that the restaurant offers. So, how does it make sense for people who have never gone to UHC say "Yeah this is horrible. Shut it down." There have been dramatic threads/comments posted, but if you look at the posts it's the same handful of people who also happen to be the handful on UHC that cause the drama. Most of us that attend UHC go there for fun, not drama. Yesterday was pretty rough because they had technical difficulties in the way teams were set up. Chin started yelling at everyone then the few that are always dramatic started making rude comments to staff and other UHC players. The obvious solution is to get rid of the few dramatic/rude players immediately so the rest of us can have fun. Punishing everyone else for the actions of these few is ridiculous and incredibly unfair. I'm not sure why this sort of action hasn't already taken place, because it would've solved most of the problems on UHC. So no, I don't think UHC should be shut down. I think as soon as a player is rude in game, give them a warning. If they continue to be rude, kick them out of UHC. I understand staff doesn't have to do this for us, and I am grateful they took the time to create this. However, there is an obvious laziness on UHC which isn't typically seen here on EMC. When mentioning an issue in game there is either no response or something along the lines of "Can we not?". I get its probably tiring having to deal with 30 people on your server, but I don't think that's an excuse. There are things that need to be fixed on the players' side and on the staff side. Once these easy fixes are made I think UHC will run a lot smoother.
  13. Here's the thing:

When RainbowChin first started this UHC thing, and for the first several events, it was great. You would join a team with the goal of having an even match, and joining a team would be an opportunity to meet new people (Hi, AnonReturns! :D). You wouldn't just stick with your friends, and you certainly didn't establish a team beforehand and practice your strategies on other servers. You would just show up, see a team that needs another player, join it, and bam, you suddenly have 3 new friends in a fun team-building game. Sometimes RainbowChin would even leave the server on for a little while after the event, and some people would stay and just mess around, which was sometimes even more fun than the event itself.

The goal of UHC wasn't to win; there was no prize for winning.

The goal wasn't to get the most kills, either; there was no prize for kills.

The "goal" was to simply enjoy the game, talk to people you might not otherwise talk to on EMC, and have a bit of silly dialogue in chat, and, although you're trying to win, you still felt good even if you lost, because you and your team tried your best, and had fun doing so. You didn't feel cheated, or like you wasted your time preparing, only to die, because the preparation phase is most of the fun. Then people started taking it too seriously, and even hacking in some cases, so now you did feel cheated when you lost, and the accusations and drama began.

---

You hear a lot of arguing/drama about this and that, that seems to be UHC's fault, but it isn't. There is nothing inherent about UHC that causes this; it's just that some players take the event way too seriously. Take any first-person-shooter game, or really any competitive game, or sport, or anything involving competition, ever, and you will find people that take it too seriously, ruining it for other people.

What people want to "end", when they agree with the statement, "End EMC UHC", is all the toxicity. Kephras, I definitely agree that the toxicity has no place on EMC. I don't see why UHC itself doesn't, though. It's no different from any other event with a competition aspect to it. Most people who want to end it haven't actually been to any of the events, or at least not one of the early ones, and don't have a proper understanding of what UHC was, and could be again. The UHC I know definitely has a place on EMC, and I really want people to disassociate the toxicity from the event itself.
  14. Didn't Pab10S make a post under an hour ago? I can't seem to find it now.
    iNachos10, Pab10S and DubChef like this.
  15. You've seen it before as well as I. "Could be" is highly considered of my actions as well as others you know. Joining Red team has affected me poorly on EMC and now it's on me like a 45 pound weight on my shoulders. I carry that now of being disrespectful and being the cause for these threads "End UHC, Too Much Drama" UHC itself was a fun experience for others including myself. I've won my first UHC with being on Red team by myself against 4 others. Trust me, adrenaline was running through my veins that day.

I felt like I was crowned king of UHC for my epic clutch, Red Team was born ->controversy

As I think about it, I really didn't want the team. I felt used for what I accomplished that day. But I had to deal with controversy. I was called a cheater, liar, and a disgrace towards EMC. Rupees helped me to take away the strain of these comments and for that, I dropped a lower level than the rude comments.

As for your comment Gawa your totally right and pvp isn't for everyone especially if they are going to cause problems. I've changed my mind around fully about it. No more Red Team, no more problematic players = Better experience
  16. Oddly enough, it seems to be that the community is the only thing driving itself apart. We differ from other UHC servers because at the end of the day the majority of players come on the forums and respond to the day's events. Some are mad, some are very happy, and some just feel like complaining.

Other servers don't have that problem because you don't know the players who kill you. Just disconnecting fixes the anger of a loss and no drama is taken to a forum because nobody really cares enough to post about it. But EMC cares what happens at the end of the day. That, in an odd way, is our problem.

And quite frankly, I'm guilty of it ten times anyone else.
    w0rld_craft3r, 607, DubChef and 4 others like this.
  17. I did, ya tattletale :). I usually proofread before and after I post so they often change in the first five or so minutes after I hit the Reply button. In this case I felt I had a small point to make but after reading Uber_Corq's post, decided to leave it out so that it wouldn't detract from the main point of his post, which I agree with and think is more important.

Briefly, I pointed out that although many of us haven't participated in UHC, I think that the fact that the problems have made it onto our radar should entitle us to express our opinions regarding how we think it should be conducted if it is allowed to continue. For my part, kill each other all you want, but you need to find a way to do it in a quiet, friendly manner.
    607, Kephras, SoulPunisher and 2 others like this.
  18. Wise words :D

That is how it should be
    Uber_Corq and iNachos10 like this.
  19. I think that's the wordiest attempt I have seen to try to display a point that's doesn't exist through metaphors that are in no way related lol.

EMC is a minecraft server and UHC is a very popular minecraft game version. I think the link there is pretty obvious. As far as core principles... uhm, huh? I'm not really sure what EMC's core principles are but I haven't seen anything that would suggest they would be in any way at odds with the UHC event. Rather the UHC event seems an obvious evolution of an event from the EMC staff and its pretty cool the way its been executed so far.

While obviously EMC has its own pvp through different mediums "family-friendly" is... well its just flashy catch words.

EMC is a vanilla-esque survival server that has modifications to make it multiplayer friendly. I think that would better represent what EMC actually is without throwing in half-truths or flashy wording ;-)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.