EMC's Day of Equality (and a Giveaway)

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Jan 15, 2018.

1. I agree that people should celebrate their differences, but that's not the purpose of this thread. Your entry is not valid as of this point.

Focus on the positives, as instructed in the OP. Think of equality on EMC. Your entry is not valid as of this point.
  2. Equality to me means that everyone should be treated equal, regardless of their age, gender, sexuality*, skin colour, background or circumstance etc.

*i'm not trying to trigger any hate or violence here if you're gonna write a hate response just.. please don't.
  3. Equality to me means treating people the same as you'd want to be treated yourself. No matter who they are and no matter how important they might feel to be. Unfortunately that's not always appreciated, even if you're being respectful and say / share the things you do with the best of intentions.

I think that's also an important thing to keep in mind: equality is most often associated with specific differences amongst people. Either based on race, gender or general believes in life. However, it shouldn't stop there.

I've been raised with the morale that "Treat others as you'd want to have them treat you" and that's what I tend to do.

Thanks for doing this, it's a cool thread!

I have no desire to enter the give-away but I do think it's very interesting to read all these different opinions and impressions which I consider to be the power of the Internet. Because even though we (generally speaking) live on different continents as different people (teenagers & grown ups alike) and within different political structures you can really see that some things aren't all that different about us at all. And I think it's a good thing to get confronted with that from time to time.
    Krysyy, 607, MoreMoople and 6 others like this.
  4. An equal world to me is a world with no prejudice, a world where a person's race has no bearing on what jobs they can get and who talks to them.
  5. To me equality means, Equivalent, Unbiased, Nonpartisan, Fair, for everyone.
  6. Equality should not be filled with hatred but only equality should be praised with being together as a whole not separate and that makes the world equal not just by lifestyle but with the people around us
  7. equality to me means, not judging anyone, treating everyone good and fair and following the golden rule; "don't do onto others as you would not like done upon yourself"
  8. Equality means that nobody is discriminated on the basis of their appearance, origins, or beliefs.
  9. I see equality as a complicated subject. Social and civil equality should be the basis, starting point, for every civilization, and should be a standard for the world. There should be no reason why a different color of skin makes one human superior or inferior when compared to another human because in reality both are humans. This also means stereotypes should not coincide with different skin colors. Common stereotypes you equate with white people, African-Americans, Asians, etc. should not exist as it is unequal. Certain skills or attitudes people possess do not rise from their skin color but rather how they were raised, where they were raised, and when they were raised.
    This brings up that equality should also include every social class. The poor should not be valued less than the rich even though they have less money. Both should get the same opportunities, and one should be known as better. However noting that the rich have been more successful than the poor is not breaking equality. That is an observation, whether good or bad.
    Opinions should be valued at equal. Left-wing political views shouldn't be seen as better or worse than right-wing political views. Both are a matter of perspective and preference. News medias should treat their coverage with equality and unbias. For example CNN, which truthfully so, is often criticized for being bias against the right and for the left. However Fox News is just as bad as CNN, being bias against the left for the right. This isn't equal coverage and leads to the bending of opinions and the idea that one is better than the other. Whether you like Trump or not, it isn't fair to assume all Trump supporters are racists. Nor is it fair to assume all non-Trump supporters are "libtards".
    Equality in opinions also branch into religions. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Atheism, and other religions, even Satanism, should be a person's believes, and not criticized. An often unfair view today is that Muslims are terrorists and should all be treated that way. That in unequal and unfair to Muslims as, like everyone does, they condemn terrorist acts.
    While no person should be seen superior or inferior to another, the same goes for countries. You shouldn't be a leader, or a person of any kind, and look upon a set of countries just to decide one is better than the others. If you are taking people in, you shouldn't make a preference based on how successful a country is.
    Another big topic of equality is gender. This shouldn't be an issue still, but for some reason it is. No gender is better than the other. Your gender should not decide your pay rate, your work should. Nor should your gender decide how you are treated, your personality should.

To me equality isn't something that should have ever been an issue. From the start of time we should've seen everyone as equal and never discriminated against each other. Everyday should be M.L.K. Day because everyday we should celebrate equality. But in the same sense, we shouldn't have needed to have a day that celebrates equality because it shouldn't have ever been an issue. What I love about EMC is how it brings everyone together from massive amounts of different countries, ethnicities, and beliefs. However, does it really matter, or should it really make a difference when people learn where you come from or what you believe? You are still the same person you were before after all. Equality is essential for everything, and as time goes on we will move further away from discriminating, and closer to pure equality. A human race.

Just going to add onto my point that equality shouldn't have ever been an issue, I would like to ask not to be added into the giveaway/draw. It is my belief that promoting equality isn't something you should need to be rewarded for in order to be motivated to do.
    Krysyy, MoreMoople, Raaynn and 2 others like this.
  10. Equality is a way to show others how you want to be treated and to give them the utmost respect they deserve.
  11. Equality is something to me that is long overdue. Let's be honest, there are still struggles. Equality isn't something we have achieved yet, but I'm glad that we live in a time and place where we can still strive for it. In it's pursuit we can find that some are content doing something easy and mindless like passing that judgement, discrimination or hate unto others. The hardest part is standing up to those that do this in the first place. Be an example for your peers, family and friends. Be the type of person Martin Luther King Jr. would be proud to know. Remember one thing, we are all human, we all bleed red, we all have feelings. We are all the same!
    <3,
    V
  12. Equality is a package deal that is not just the end result, but the equally shared burden of supporting and promoting it.
  13. equality allows everyone to achieve what they want to, it levels the playing field for all.
  14. Equality to me means how everyone new player on EMC starts in the same place with the same materials, and work and dedication can lead you to where you want to go.
  15. To me, equality means that everybody has the capacity and opportunity in life to fulfill whatever their heart desires, whether their desire is small and minute, like completing their homework within the time designated, or grand, like building the first time machine.

When I think of equality, I think of this poem:

This I beheld, or dreamed it in a dream:—
    There spread a cloud of dust along a plain;
    And underneath the cloud, or in it, raged
    A furious battle, and men yelled, and swords
    Shocked upon swords and shields. A prince's banner
    Wavered, then staggered backward, hemmed by foes.
    A craven hung along the battle's edge,
    And thought, "Had I a sword of keener steel—
    That blue blade that the king's son bears,— but this
    Blunt thing—!" He snapped and flung it from his hand,
    And lowering crept away and left the field.
    Then came the king's son, wounded sore bested,
    And weaponless, and saw the broken sword
    Hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand,
    And ran and snatched it, and with battle-shout
    Lifted afresh he hewed his enemy down
    And saved a great cause that heroic day.

-Edward Rowland Sill

Although life may never truly be equal, no matter what, you should persevere and overcome the obstacles that the universe throws at you because in all actuality, we are all born with the tools to at least fix some of our problems.

I'd analyze the poem in more depth, but I think it's good to read the poem for yourself and come to your own conclusions, because we all deserve the chance to come to our own conclusions (also I'm too lazy :p).
  16. To me, equality means just treating people as people. Yes, people are different and unique, but we have the ability to look past those differences and treat everyone the same. How people look or what they believe or whatever the case may be shouldn't determine how people treat each other
    MoreMoople, Raaynn and Krysyy like this.
  17. argh... no time.... huuuuuu....

I could extend tonight when I come back home, but I'd say that for now : Equality is the result of the blindfold on Justice's eyes.
    MoreMoople and Krysyy like this.
  18. I work towards equity and equality every day making sure that students receive an appropriate education regardless of their academic, cognitive, behavioral, or emotional abilities and strengths. To me, everyone should get a shot at the same opportunities. This often starts early on with the education we receive.
    Raaynn and Krysyy like this.
  19. For me equality means undivided love, compassion, and to see and acknowledge both the differences and similarities between other people and yourself without criticism.

This means not to hate a religious man or woman, hate someone who doesn’t have a religion, hate someone who has dyed their hair an outrageous colour or has tattoos covering their body, hate someone who is gay or is of a different colour.

I believe us all to be created equal, and we were, however it’s society that has dictated and put in our minds that somehow we are fundamentally* different, that some people are either lesser or above ourselves when that just isn’t true. Money is nothing but a social construct, and race is just a name that we have labelled to people of different origins. We all have the basic structure of a human being, even if we’re missing some things whether it be due to a birth defect or accident, it’s what makes us different and unique. Sometimes we cannot help this.

Society has come a long way in acknowledging the rights of all people, and in today’s time, not many people are racist, homophobic maybe but that’s slightly different. It’s like finding a rotten apple within a bunch, it isn’t too common but it isn’t uncommon or rare either. But news outlets and articles push and exaggerate the story to make it seem like only the odd apple within the bunch is good. Some places have a better ratio of good and bad apples, some have a worse ratio. It can depend on what kind of area you’re in but for the majority, there’s a lot of good apples around. You’ve just got to look, open your eyes, and keep a positive outlook and you’ll see.

I’m quite fortunate where I live that inequality is basically non-existent. We have people of all kinds living amongst each other with little conflict, because no one really cares. But I’m aware that it’s not that way for everyone else, and I believe that we shouldn’t let society divide us on what makes us unique. But most importantly, don’t give up on the goodness in humanity and the earth around us. See only the best in people and everything else as a flaw that can be improved on. There is so much that the world can offer us and in turn so much that we can offer the earth.

I don’t really know how to finish off, so I’ll just end by saying: love yourself and love everyone around you equally.
  20. I can't claim to know what equality is. I know I've seen many examples of inequality and I strive to bring balance to the problems in our world. My hope is that there will be more kindness and understanding as we march forward. I'm thankful for leaders like Dr. King and pray that more like him will follow.