[DO NOT UPDATE] 1.5 UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Because TNT just isn't enough is it?
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. Hmm.. Now It doesnt work again, even though I tried to do this several times.
  3. I believe that Silken posted that for those that will accidentally update in the future - it's not out yet so replacing .minecraft won't fix it for you. :/

Connection reset - that's a common error that I think happens with server ports in different areas, so if you haven't already, try the IP: smp5.empireminecraft.com - if that doesn't work, I will bug Aikar to see if he can help, he's the expert on this kind of thing. :)
  4. Ok you inspired me :p to do a video response to this so maybe this will help you I hope.

5. its not out yet here in hungary
  6. It's working again now, but I dont know for how long. Thank you.
  7. We do not rely on Minecraft Internals, as that is very unreliable.

We stick to the Bukkit API.

This means we have to wait until Bukkit updates the API to support new blocks etc. We really can not touch a single bit of code (well without dirty hacks that i'm slowly removing from the EMC code base that was done for previous updates) until we have a new .jar with the API changes.

This is the process:

• Mojang releases final snapshot
    • Bukkit begins work in private on updating based off snapshot. This is a huge gamble as if mojang changes anything major before release it can void all of their work and start over... And updating Bukkit is a painful process.
    • Bukkit releases new DEV Build with BAREBONES compatability to the update (sometimes they even beat Mojang to the full release)
    • Crazy people update to this and find the bugs.
    • Spigot fixes any conflicts / design changes for the new update
    • We wait until Bukkit has added necessary API adjustments (new blocks, new Item Meta)
    • We update our Spigot baseline (We are a fork of Spigot), and solve any of our own conflicts.
    • We then write new code / fix old to handle the new update
    • We wait a few days for Bukkit to fix bugs (We do not rush the update, we wait until it stablizes)
    • We then release the update
    The problem is, 1.5 is changing A LOT of things. A lot of the stuff on the client is being moved to the server.
    This is going to cause A LOT of work for bukkit to do its update.

Spigot should not be impacted really though.

However, We also have the Wastelands to worry about, thats going to take some code writing and testing to setup.

We also have to prepare the new wild with outposts and teleports to it and such.

This is going to be a really rough update.

As for parting with Bukkit, you could say we already have in that we have a special build... But we will be based off Spigot for the long term.

If Bukkit stops updating or becomes too much of a problem, Spigot will likely rebase itself off of MCP instead of Bukkit (Which is the Forge stuff Single player modding uses essentially)

So were fine for the long term.
  8. Cant' wait, thanks for the reminder PaddlepopCow! :D
  9. there is not any thing new in the real update it was pretty much useless.
    • Comparators
    • Daylight Sensors
    • Hoppers
    • Trapped Chests
    • Weighted Pressure Plates
    • Block of Redstone
    • Nether Quartz
    • Block of Quartz, and variations.
    • Minecart with TNT
    • Activator Rail
    And that is only from the first two snapshots.
  10. It's not out anywhere yet.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  11. Yes, that exactly.
  12. Actually, in case you havent watched the Youtube videos, there are minecart TNT's that act like Nukes.
  13. I was joking, TNT is bad enough.
    No they don't really
  14. jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. ICC, don't tell me what to do.
  16. Youtube it.
  17. I still don't see how they at like nukes (?)
    Besides, they will be disabled along with regular TNT.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  18. Restricted to diamond* :p
    RainbowChin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.