Debate/Argue Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EvilServerAdmin, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Double post, you're a terrible person Crazy1080.
    The glass is half full and half empty. Half full/empty of liquid, and half empty/full of air.
    mba2012, jkjkjk182, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  2. The glass is entirely full, half of it is filled with water, and half with air.

Playstation is my preference. Although you cannot get certain games *coughhalocough,* the free PSN is the deciding factor for me. I see no difference in the quality of gameplay, just that I don't have to pay anything. Plus, I prefer the PS3 controller over the xbox.
    DogsRNice likes this.
  3. Our first family computer was an Apple IIC, dual 5.25" floppy drives and green-screen monitor. And like almost everything else built in that era, it was flimsy beige plastic that yellows with age. *Just noting that the "Apple Aesthetic" applies only to modern Apple products, which boil down to personal taste anyway.

Like comparing "Volkswagen" to "American Car Manufacturers," I suppose? A Golf GTI might look great compared to a Chevy Aveo, but park it next to a Cadillac CTS and unless you're madly in love with Volkswagen it starts to pale in comparison...

I work at Best Buy, so I see both sides of the Mac / PC debate a lot. With as little bias as possible, I'll tell you I would never buy a Mac product if a Windows / Android version is available. I will also never willingly buy a PC with Win8 on it, or a tablet with WinRT.

Anti-Mac:
    • Apple is a religion. Or, to be more accurate, the brand stimulates the same areas of the brain as religious symbols do in the faithful. Their stores are also designed in a similar philosophy. The "Apple Table" at work has very strict guidelines regarding its appearance and maintenance, to meet with Apple's standards. They're not just selling you a product, they're trying to induct you into their "cult." This is actual neuroscience.
    • Lifespan. Apple products may physically last for a while, but they're outdated almost as soon as they're released. And a frighteningly large number of people are more than willing to trade in their old device for the latest version the day it comes out. Every day, I see at least one iPad or iPhone returned to the store as a trade-in or to be recycled. Conversely, I only seem to ever see Android / Windows devices returned if they've got a shattered screen or are old to the point of being in a museum (relatively speaking)
    • Corollary: iMacs are somewhat rarer, but only because those aren't released as frequently. In terms of laptop / desktop returns, I almost never see Macs. Custom-built PCs are equally rare. What I do see are low-end budget laptops and prefab Dell / Gateway / Compaq towers, which to me says that Macs are no better than a good PC or notebook, or one that is adequately maintained.
    • Gorilla Glass is not unique to Apple, and in fact Corning entered an agreement with Samsung last year to make use of their advances in Samsung products for both mobile (Galaxy Tab / Note / SII) and home television products. For the purposes of this discussion, Samsung Notebook > Macbook, at roughly half the cost. And to the point above, I almost never see Samsung notebooks returned / recycled either.
    Anti-Win8/RT
    • Personal choice. I'm with Notch and others who've spoken out against Win8, RT's closed-platform approach, and the "slippery slope" argument they've made. Plus, a desktop should be a desktop and stop trying to look like a blasted tablet, darnit. *shakes fish*
    Personal Bias Disclosure:
    -In 2002 I was in college with a roomie who used an iMac. While waiting on my own PC to arrive, he allowed me the use of his (mostly web browsing & checking email). This was my primary experience with a Mac OS, outside of our current displays at work, and while my experience in this regard is limited, it cemented my dislike of Macs, as I found it frustrating and counter-intuitive after using previous family PCs during the Win95/98 timeframe. It never bluescreened on me, so props for that I guess.
    -I have since been using WinXP (still haven't upgraded to Vista or 7 yet), and view both Macs and Win8 devices with equal displeasure.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. The glass is half full, because the rest of the area around it is empty
    607 likes this.
  5. which came first the chicken or the egg. I say egg you've got to start somewhere
  6. My mind is filthy.
    mba2012, Spenser6, talukegord and 4 others like this.
  7. This got derailed, fast!
  8. Beatles. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VadngOGKlP0 one direction can go eat poop.
  9. How did it get derailed?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. We were talking about vanilla and chocolate... and what? :p
  11. The egg came first, because if you look at the scientific part of it:
    Birds came from Dinosaurs.
    If we look here:

Bacteria can duplicate themselves. A few million years after they come around, they develop sexes and those two sexes can breed. Then, fish come. The fish evolve into Amphibians (much bigger than they are today), and then millions of years later, reptiles come from those amphibians and Dinosaurs are here. The first flying animal was a dinosaur. Then, towards the end of the Cretaceous period, mammals arrive and survive whatever killed the dinosaurs. A few million years later, our common ancestor turns into two groups:
    Ape and Monkey.
    ^That bit didn't have anything to do with the egg stuff...

Being able to give birth to live animals is still a fairly new concept simply because it took billions of years of evolution to come around, so its pretty obvious birds come from dinosaurs, as most dinosaurs were bird-hipped, some could fly, and most of them are theorized to be warm-blooded (like birds) and they lay eggs :D

The egg came first billions of years ago when everything alive (and visible to the eye) on Earth lived in the sea.
    catwarrior7 and Laurencem17 like this.
  12. Well, there was never a specified debate, soo...
    NEW DEBATE! Has this thread been derailed? I say no.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. Absolutely no.
    New debate.
    Why is pi endless?
  14. HALF FULL!

Hash98 likes this.
  15. If there was nothing to incubate the egg then the egg would have died, exterminating the chicken race right then and there.

I say the chicken came first.
  16. pi is not endless. It is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It's when you try to express it as a number that it becomes a problem.
    mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  17. It is almost completely empty, while the space is occupied by the air and water atoms, the atoms themselves are almost entirely empty space.
    /thread
    DogsRNice and 607 like this.
  18. No, I think the glass is almost completely full.
    Almost completely full of empty space.
    mba2012, 607 and cddm95ace like this.
  19. That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it.
  20. You're all wrong.
    It's too big. ;)
    mba2012 and Equinox_Boss like this.