[Contest] Life Changes Poetry/Prose Contest

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by Krysyy, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Very cool! I'll try to think of something, as as you know I really like writing prose. ;)
  2. Changes will need to be made in order to be within the mindset to write the perfect haiku.
  3. Gimme dat link!

- Andy
  4. Got mine, just have to type them up. Yeah high school creative writing and college creative writing courses to make my English credits.

So excited and good luck to everyone who participates!
  5. I just realised 'changes' could be interpreted as a verb... Does this ambiguity matter?
  6. i still have to start working on this
    COME ON EGG BRAIN DO THINGS
  7. It can be either a noun or a verb. However you wish to interpret it is fine.
    607 and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  8. Also... is it fine if a deeper layer of the story is about life changes, not the surface story? (I assumed the answer is yes and started writing alredey)
    Next to that, are references to Latin poëtry apriciated? :p

The more serious question: One of the rules is that it should be somewhet EMC friendly I want top know where the line is, as the story I am currently writing balances on the edge of it... Some quickly written exampeles: which are fine, and which aren't?

REDACTED
    TomvanWijnen and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  9. None of those are fine. Keep in mind we are family friendly, would you read any of those in a family meeting?
    From our rules:
    Keep in mind the topics of your discussion/gameplay. Things like drugs, alcohol, sexual activities, etc are not suitable for our server because we are Family Friendly.
    Elite and The_Boulder like this.
  10. there may be a point in my entry that deals with someone getting shot but I'm planning on implementing it in like a disney/pixar fashion where it's not graphic but you still feel the weight of the event as it happens. Would that be okay or would I have to change it?
    607 likes this.
  11. If only I could break out of my wriTERS BLOCK THATS LASTED 3,000 YEARS
  12. It's hard to tell without an example, so my best advice to you and anyone wondering if something would be ok or not, is to use common sense. Keep "family friendly" in mind. If you want a more specific answer, I'd advise you send Krysyy a private message. You'll never get in trouble for asking.
  13. That just went way over my head, am i just dumb or somthing?
  14. Well i dont like writing very much but ill see if i can summon enough brains to write for this contest. ;)
  15. It could be interpreted as "changes in life" or "the fact that our lives change"
    607 likes this.
  16. Contignuing in PM, but if you know what my life has been like, it probably is easy to understand that this, for me, means I won't participate at all.

For what you said "would you read any of those in a family meeting?" Yes, My mother explicitly explained to me how both normal and gay people have sex when I was 9 years of age, hoping that that would mean I would have less bias against gay people as others (which worked btw) and she died two years after that. Two of my best friends are suicidal and, well, I have more stories to tell. Yeah... For me, what I wrote, is life. All other people, in my eyes, are extreemly lucky they don't have to participate in all this, but cencoring it away seems some sort of ignorant.
    Contignuing in PM (currently only with Kryssy)

EDIT: PM concluded: some stuff I wrote there actually is allowed, and I can contignue writing.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  17. no lol i understand the about contest i was just kidding 607 for their post "I just realised 'changes' could be interpreted as a verb... Does this ambiguity matter?"
  18. Does it have to be non-fiction and uhhhh non-violent?
  19. It seems like it indeed has to be non-violent. I have just finished an nuanced PM to Kryssy (She originally wrote me about that stuff) on why I think it is not the best of ideas.
    (I might be kind of new with English: But I know myself as a writer in Dutch, and have read a lot, and a lot, of book in my time. (over 20 past year) so I do know something about it :p )
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  20. No, it can be fiction, non-fiction, whatever you like. All guidelines concerning that are in the op.

As for the violence, to quote our rules page:
    Short answer: Violence in particular isn't necessarily against the rules, but it can be.

If you are asking yourself if a specific instance is appropriate, it probably isn't; that said, as Matheus mentioned above, if you genuinely are unsure, please feel free to ask us via private message.

In terms of violence specifically, you have to use your judgement. Graphic and gory detail are not okay or necessary, but "Tom and Jerry" is an arguably violent show that can be watched by those who are aged 60 as well as those age 6. On a more practical note, you can describe violent actions and communicate your point without writing things in a way that could be disturbing, inappropriate, or excessively graphic for our younger audience. And again, if you are unsure, either err on the side of caution or send us a pm.
    Elite, 607, Impulsive_Egg and 2 others like this.