Anti-Griefing Update! 8/15/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so I logged in to play around with this and I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying. I want to be able to make only certain friends grant vouches. I either have to set it so that no friends can do that or that all of my friends can do that. After getting on and not seeing any kind of setting like that I figured I would go to the wiki but everything that was mentioned here is the only thing in the wiki. Figured, maybe, that there were more commands that got more in depth but that wasn't the case.

Also, with that whitelist option which im assuming was the /f blockbreak (20 friends) true ... command. thats 20 commands just for me. I'm not the most popular person on emc by a long shot either so I don't think thats even a high number there. ORRRR I can delete like 20+ friends and just leave it on.

Neither of which is very user friendly and at the same time doesn't address the concern of having those currently 40 friends being able to give vouches just so I can have 3 people be able to grant them. I really want someone else to be able to break my blocks if I'm not there, seeing as I share space pretty much anywhere I have built but still want the benefits of the anti-grief protection without having to be exclusive with the people I add to my friends list. I may be a little anti-social but not so much that I don't want friends ;-; So at the time I either have 0 people able to give vouches or I have 40.... ORRRR I just delete 37 of my friends.

None of the current options are in any way desirable. Of all the terrible options I'm thinking of deleting 37 friends as being the only one I'm really willing to go with under the current system which makes me sad. I think imma give it a day or two to see if this isn't somehow addressed.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  2. Limiting vouches is practical in the way you explain. I'll talk to aikar.
    Wanderton, Slvr, ANubIsWe3 and 3 others like this.
  3. Mmm, sorry to insist, but may I get an answer to questions I asked yesterday, please (I believe it went unnoticed)? Quoting myself:
    I believe several people are in the same situation and would appreciate to know what policy is to be followed in such cases.

Thanks in advance !
  4. I've seen Aya already mention this but it seems to have gotten lost a bit: I think it would be helpful if your friends also got a message when they're breaking your blocks, basically in the same was as you get. This would allow your friends to know for certain that they're breaking your protected blocks.

In a regular clean build situation it would be pretty obvious. But it could get a little obscured when you've been using /buildmode together with using common blocks. For example: if I build a wall to protect some things using stone or dirt then this could get completely overlooked by my friends. Breaking the wall wouldn't give them any messages, so they simply wouldn't realize that what they're breaking / removing was actually meant to be protected.

Having a warning will most certainly help here I think.
    ANubIsWe3, Zrugite, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  5. I think there is a confusion with the Senior Staff pricing here.
    50,000 cap means that is the maximum that you can get charged. It's not the maximum that we will do.
    If you have an area with more than 5 structures that you do not want to tear down and re-place, and they are far apart from each other, then we will do each individually. If they are close together as a little town, then we do the whole town in one selection. We simply added the clarification so that players did not try to have thousands of blocks of natural land protected as if they placed it.
  6. Might as well throw this suggestion out here too....

Right now we already have /gr blockbreak. This grants everyone within a group access to each others protected blocks, this can really help if you're building something together and either want to keep it protected (using /buildmode) or while using (uncommon) blocks which are protected by default.

My suggestion: /gr buildmode.

This would do everything as the above with one major exception: all members within the group who use /buildmode (obviously this needs to remain toggleable on a per-player basis) would place protected blocks on behalf of the group leader. Roughly comparable to the 'vouch for another' player system. SO every protected blocks placed by the group would be automatically owned by the group leader.

I think this could be a major help for players who want to apply protection on their buildings themselves yet don't want to rely on the staff for it. And outposts of course where only a select group should have more direct access to common buildings.
  7. That's an interesting idea too. We will try to add that soon, but slightly improved: /gr buildmode [Owner]

So the leader of group can choose who is specified owner, and if not set, turns it off.
    607, Zrugite, ShelLuser and 1 other person like this.
  8. i feel your pain XD
  9. Hmmpf. /listprotection not works for users.
    How can i check if something is protected ?

I mean, how can you see which of your own blocks are protected ?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Interesting post. Easy to discredit your suggestion as let's keep that only to staff to use that command. But I do think it would be a good idea to have a command to check a single block whether you have protection on a particular block. Wouldn't give you information on protections placed by other people, but only yourself.
    Kytula, 607, ShelLuser and 1 other person like this.
  11. Would it be too resource intensive to make a method that checked in a certain block radius? The players cords would be fed to the system, and the system would check x blocks in a cube surrounding the player. The logic should be simple but I figure that it could be a bit resource intensive.
  12. The best way I can think of is asking help from another player, if they can break the block then you may need to re-do that area. But I agree... it would be helpful if you could check somehow.

Note: if the player you're asking to help out is a friend (/fr) you'd either need to (temporarily) unfriend them or use /fr blockbreak off. Replace 'off' with 'default' to switch back to the default.

Just be careful who you're asking though ;)

Disclaimer: no structures were demolished in order to make this picture :D
    607 and MrCDub like this.
  13. Sounds awesome! Love the new system
  14. I think is complicated, but i think illl get used to it
    ShelLuser likes this.
  15. I have a whole settlement in the frontier, and I remember someone said that towns can be protected in all one selection. However, does this apply to large cities? (Asking because 20+ friends have built one with me) I'm talking about 500 x 500 to 1,000 x 1,000.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. I did request a few SS protection services. Do you get a PM when it's done ?
  17. From experience with other SS services personally, yes they usually say when it's done.
  18. I think it's very important to give them a little extra time though, be patient! Note: not saying that you're not, this is just a general comment.

I've had to deal with a griefing (2 actually) right after the anti-grief announcement (oh the irony) and the moderator who helped me also commented that the whole thing was still pretty new to him so it might take him a little moment to sort out all the commands (worked out flawlessly though!).

Well, I can only imagine that the same probably applies to senior staff as well.
    VoxelRay likes this.
  19. I would be more excited for this if my outpost wasn't so far away, but all the same Thank you so much to Aikar and all the devs
    for your hard work on making this update into a reality. I hope, Aikar, you and all the devs continue all your amazing work at making EMC into the greatest minecraft server of all :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.