Anti-Griefing Update! 8/15/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know the need to get some time to fix things. After all there's more then only Minecraft. and also the request is for one established outpost and 2 other normal places. Just wanted to know the work flow.
  2. This update is so original, which adds to the awesome original server that we have here. I'm so happy that none of my outpost blocks will get griefed :D
    ShelLuser, PetuniaFigtree and 607 like this.
  3. on the List of Protected Blocks, I don't see Stone Bricks or Stone Brick Stairs... Is Smooth Brick and Smooth Stairs that or something else?
    Sorry if someone else has asked this before. Didn't want to flip through 10 Pages. haha
  4. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought those were 'SMOOTH_BRICK' in the list.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Yeah, That is why I asked. I didn't know if Smooth Brick meant Stone Brick.
  6. I assumed it was because the only other bricks are Brick Blocks and Netherbrick. (Think that was it)
  7. Question - Can people no longer lock chests that they did not place themselves?

I have had 2 people contact me about this problem while trying to lock a chest at the public builds. They get a message about the lock sign being too close (which it is not). We tried it today, and after the player broke the chest herself and replaced it, she was able to lock it just fine.

Is there a good work around for this please?
    Gawadrolt and ShelLuser like this.
  8. I think you have to destroy then replace all the chests with noprotectmode active.
    Gawadrolt and khixan like this.
  9. This is great to have ready before starting on an outpost!! Thank Aikar
  10. Ok so this is pretty cool . Thanks admin!!
  11. OK so I apologize if people have already commented about this and I accidentally read over it but I've been having kinda an annoying time with this update don't get me wrong I LOVE it but ..here let me explain...

So apparently some things that were placed before the update also have the protection and I wasn't aware of this until yesterday. A friend of mine was trying to get through one of her "secret" doors that requires a person to place a redstone torch on a specific block and it opens up..we usually have one on a wall near by and whoever wants to get by just grabs it and places in on the secret block and it opens...Problem is now with this update it's annoying trying to get through this door because of everyones settings..luckily I was online and could vouch for the person to break the torch and place it on the secret block but I can see this getting annoying quick in the future depending on who's coming to the town or visiting..

Also today a friend of mine wanted to edit a farm of his on his outpost but when he went to edit it he couldn't because he had another friend build it for him a while ago and this friend was offline and had his settings that a friend couldn't vouch for him so he just had to wait for him to log in to tell him about it. Since we're all friends this isn't much of a problem I just let the other friend know about the situation so he could allow the other friend to break the blocks but what happens when you have an outpost and had a player build something for you in the past and this person is no longer online or has the vouching setting off or like no longer plays on emc? Would we just have to let staff know?

And lastly I helped my friend make a rail to an outpost a while ago and today she decided to get rid of it because we moved out outpost but since I helped build it she couldn't break the blocks so I gave her permission to break my blocks. Now every few minutes I get a notification in chat telling me "soandso is breaking your blocks at blablabla because you gave them permission" -_- it got really annoying really quick. Is there any way to like NOT have this spam your chat? I don't need to be reminded repeatedly about someone I gave permission to break my blocks.

PS I suck at describing things so hopefully this all makes sense xD and sorry if this was already brought up and I just accidentally didn't notice it.
  12. So I'm very confused, we cannot protect structures we have already built, without completely tearing them down and rebuilding them? I have a structure in the Frontier, but it's rather huge and would be impossible to tear it down and rebuild it with protection. Is there any other way I can protect it without destroying it?

13. :)
    Gawadrolt and ShelLuser like this.
  14. Awesome! Thanks everyone who helped with getting this live. :)

I do have one question though: what do I do if I want someone who is not my /friend to always be able to break my placed secured blocks?
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  15. I believe vouching for them is the only way atm. Each vouch lasts 30 mins.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. This is a FANTASTIC update! I've been waiting/hoping for something like this since I joined EMC.

That said, I don't see Sponges or Wet Sponges on the list. Would it be possible to add them? I only ask due to how valuable they are (1,000r on average) and are often used in the wild (at least by me).
    607 likes this.
  17. Quick question....

Would there be a way where if you have to break away some blocks in a wall to get to some tracks... when someone breaks those blocks, and replaces the blocks, they would be protected still by the original person?
  18. I don't think so. If I'm getting what your asking. If you have to break blocks to get to the tracks. The blocks would have to be either common blocks, your own placed blocks or you had a voucher to break said blocks. In any case if you replaced the blocks with common blocks and not in /buildmode than anyone can break them. If there replaced with uncommon blocks by you than only you can break them. Unless you have given a voucher or your friends are able to through your own /ps settings.

I hope this is clear. The blocks you place unless they are common blocks can only then be broken by you. Not the original person whom must have given you the go ahead to break the blocks to begin with.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  19. No need for apologies in my opinion. This is a very complex update and I think everyone will understand that it can be very difficult to get started with it. The more questions people ask, the more answers we'll be able to find together (hopefully)!

You have several options, but please keep in mind that it's a bit difficult for me to imagine your exact situation... The obvious solution is to form a group. Get everyone involved to befriend everyone else and once you did that you'll always be able to break each others blocks.

Because this is about placing a redstone torch somewhere you could also consider placing a chest with torches in it, so that players can simply take one out and place it to open up the hidden door.

Another option, but a little more difficult, is to use the /noprotectmode feature. You can toggle this on/off just like /buildmode and it ensures that every block you place (no matter what) will never be protected.

And finally, but I realize this is probably not what you're looking for: you could consider changing the mechanic a bit. A redstone torch could be replaced with a button for example. Now, I understand that a button would be much too obvious, but you could consider adding another requirement. People would need to pull a lever before the button would work. Or my personal favorite: rotate an item frame to a certain location.

I recently helped Aya to build something like this and I'd be happy to show you how it was done (assuming I'm in town on smp4).

Yeah, best to report that to staff and then they can set the permissions to the right values. Or simply help you to remove it. For example: if you're removing a building and come across protected blocks then you can ask a moderator for help. They can vouch for anyone, and so they can also help you to give you the ability to remove those blocks (or remove them for you).

The main thing to look out for is to make sure that it's obvious who owns the building.

You can't turn that off right now. I understand that it gets annoying but I also can't help worry that it could be even more annoying if you switch this off, forget to turn it back on and then miss out on potential warnings.

Still, maybe it would be possible to add some kind of toggle or setting which would temporarily turn off the warnings for 30 or 60 minutes. Could be an interesting suggestion I guess.

I hope this helps!

At the risk of stating the obvious: I'd add them to your friends list :)
  20. Well yeah the thing is that I don't want (apart from one person) anyone in my friends list (because of many reasons). I did now think of something though; we can select friends to be able to break my secured blocks, why not also be able to select non-friends to do this? :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.