2016 Redstone Competition! (April 22-June 3)

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by AmusedStew, Apr 18, 2016.

1. bump, would love more submissions.
  2. bump.. bit over a week left... would love more submissions!
  3. In the mean time I got back from the land of the disconnected and the other judges and me have already gone over the first entries. Which made me think of something: maybe you could add the names of the players who have sent in an entry? This makes the competition a little more lively IMO; right now it almost looks as if nothing happened because most of our conversations were in a PM.

Hmm, maybe I'll do a small write up (nothing too long, don't worry!) to list all the current entries later today.
    607, TomvanWijnen and AmusedStew like this.
  4. I will add a short list later
    ~~~~

Bump
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. May I send my thing on Friday the 3rd's afternoon? :p
    607 likes this.
  6. Yea, it lasts until the last minute on the 3rd. Considering voting may take a day or two if many are submitted then and such. Just hope we get more submissions, only have received like what, 5?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  7. I will submit my thing (if I don't forget it >.>) that Friday then ;) so you'll have at least 6 entries :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. Correction: we only have 3 submissions so far... unless I missed one in my inbox.
  9. Well, looks like EMC is lazy, lol. Maybe allow the judges amd you to send in something too, just for fun? :D
    607, ShelLuser and Jelle68 like this.
  10. You did, it's now up to 4 :D

Just joking a little bit: the latest submission was sent in a few hours after your post, so you obviously didn't miss it. But just so the other readers know: something is definitely happening.

Edit:

That could be an interesting touch. "Hmm, better keep my fellow judges happy so I'll just give it a higher score than I planned..". Or the other way around of course :eek:
  11. Well, maybe it should be separate from the other entries, but it'd just be more interesting :D
    Jelle68 and ShelLuser like this.
  12. Redstone competition 2016 - Entries so far...

When Stew asked me to become a judge I was immediately excited. As you may know redstone is one of the main things which got me into Minecraft. When I learned more about it I was hooked, and when I later on discovered more of the other game elements I was also sinkered ;) I love redstone, and so I'm very happy to get the opportunity to check out some of the things which other players made.

Never underestimate what you can learn from others!

And just in case you wonder: there's a good reason why I asked Aya to tag along. Before posting I also wanted to make sure that you guys could see and do the same things as us. And because Aya isn't part of this event what so ever it was the perfect way to check if random players (that means you dear anonymous reader!) could also enjoy these entries.

... which reminds me to remind Aya to remember something she said about donations :D

Note: entries are listed in random order, simply using what is most convenient for me.

RBurke's railroad crossing

How to get here:

Use this command: /v 10225 main, the residence is on SMP5. Once you teleported here turn to your right and follow the road, you'll pass his dumpster chest along the way (on your left). At the next intersection (double road) turn left and you'll see this scenery appear.

What you see here

RBurke has multiple residences which are connected in several ways, including several minecart tracks. The fun part is that he chose to place these on top (on the roads) and not burried below (which is what I did myself). So in order to avoid nasty accidents from happening he build himself a railroad crossing.

If you stay idle here you'll notice that eventually carts actually move from one residence to the other.

My public comment

We judge in private, so I'm not going to comment on that. It's between us and the participant(s), and the results will be shared in the end (also keeps the tension). But I can say that this is my favorite entry so far. I like the originality, the fact it's on the Empire and and that it's actually being used.

Zrugite's piston door

How to get here:

Use this command: /v 17904, it's on SMP8. You'll land on the glass floor and can immediately walk over to the piston door.

What you see here

A piston door, which has a very special ability: the door retracts fully into the ground so that it leaves plenty of room on top for the rest of your building. And, obviously, this design also works on a multi player environment (you may not know this but timing can be crucial for redstone circuits, and there's a huge difference between building something in your single player world or on a server such as the Empire).

Check this out:

Once again Aya did all the work, and if she can do it so can you ;)

My public comment

I like this one. Sure, piston doors are to be expected in a redstone competition, but I like the different style which Zrug used by making the door fully retract into the ground. Also notable: the redstone parts remain fully invisible. Of course we can see them in my pictures because Zrug used glass, but try to imagine the above pictures with stone instead of glass. Would you see any pistons or such? I think not :)

Jesuspower's potion brewer

How to get here:

Use this command: /v 14264, it's on SMP7. You'll land on top of Jesus' villager farm, just jump down onto the bedrock floor and there you'll find this build right next to the tower you just jumped down from.

What you see here

A compact potion brewing machine. It was made so that you can add the required components yourself, flip the switch and then watch your potions end up in the result chest.

My public comment

Disclaimer: I haven't officially judged this one yet, so keep in mind that my comments here are just that: comments. But once again an entry I like. First for the, maybe by now, obvious reasons: it's something on EMC, put to real use and of course it works. But the compactness and the (so I assume) ease of use are also notable, you simply provide what you need and leave it running. Once it's done you can start your next auction thread :)

Jelle68's redstone computer

How to get here:

This build is a single player world and therefor not accessible on the Empire.

What you see here

A device which can take input using the small square you see on the ground (on the right) and then display the output onto the big screen (which should be obvious enough). So basically this is a redstone computer which utilizes a form of "touch screen" for its input.

My public comment

This entry is pretty much insane (meant in a friendly way, don't worry!) and is quite impressive. It's also an entry where you actually need a small manual before you can use it ;) At first we judged based on pictures, then Jelle was friendly enough to share his entry with us so that we could take a closer look for ourselves (something I plan to continue doing later this evening).

Quite impressive and quite overwhelming indeed.

But on that subject I'd also like to say that other participants shouldn't feel overwhelmed by this. Don't think that you would no longer stand a chance merely because one entry is a massive one. I'm pretty sure I speak for the rest of the judges also when I say that quantity does not make quality perse.

And there you have it!

If you haven't already or if you are still making up your mind: please keep them coming :)
    rburke5786, 607, Jelle68 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nice post, Shell!
    ShelLuser likes this.