1.9 Introduces Flying!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 6, 2015.

1. To use the glider, you would have to jump of something. With potions, you do not.
  2. I mean it could even be that potions affect you while on the gliders. We can bounce back and forth giving each other if statements but we aren't even sure if this is going to be in the next update or not. There's really not enough information to make (accurate) analyises at this point. :p
    StarEaterOnline likes this.
  3. I was also thinking that. You could use jump/speed pots to use as an advantage to boost you whilst you travel.
  4. The snapshot is now out, based on reddit comments, here it is:
    • Elytra (Definition: each of the two wing cases of a beetle.)
    • Chestplate slot
    • Deploys when you fall ~3 blocks
    • Takes damage based on how far you fly
    • Repairable but not enchantable. Can add Unbreaking with anvil though.
    • Found on End Ships
    Through testing:
    Starting at y=256, I was able to fly for about a minute before running aground. During that time, I traveled 1,583 blocks. I'd say that you cannot fly (From my survival perspective) for no more than 2 minutes unless you are going to bedrock and you really can't travel that far. It is nice though.
    Also, during that trip I wasted around 47 durability.
  5. Honestly, with what I've seen from the Elytra, they're aren't too overpowered, in my opinion.
    I don't think they'll be a big issue for EMC. They may just stay the way they are for EMC when Minecraft 1.9 has been released, like the slime blocks from last year.

For example: during a flight, you can't gain much altitude above your original starting altitude. If you try to gain too much altitude during your flight, before building up momentum by going down, then you'll eventually stop ascending.
    So, it's not exactly like flying in Creative Mode.

EDIT: I hope Elytra will be allowed for normal playing on EMC. They'll give us a new mechanic to design off of, as well as a new look at our worlds and creations in a new perspective!
    607, ChickenDice and jkrmnj like this.
  6. I don't understand why you guys don't really like it. I like the fact that it isn't a infinitely re-get-able item
    UltiPig and ChickenDice like this.
  7. So I was really, really negative toward this at first. However, I downloaded snapshot 15w41b today and I was very impressed. Those Elytra are absolutely amazing. I flew around the overworld and the end for at least an hour, and wow, Mojang did a great job with them. If you haven't tried them out, I recommend doing so.
  8. You are now 1 block tall when flying in the next snapshot.
    ForeverMaster0 and 607 like this.
  9. I won't bother checking the four pages I missed, as they're probably mostly full of empty complaints.
    Anyway, this is great! It's really fun to start up an amplified terrain world and fly around. If you're in for a challenge, try going through a cave in the mountain and out of it without touching the ground.
    It feels really great. Finally, new adventures! I was flying, and flew into a cave. I landed, and spotted a skeleton. The skeleton AI has been updated recently, and they're really tough now, so I didn't try to fight him. Did I die, though? No, I had a glider, after all! I started running towards the other hole in the mountain, jumped out, and flew away. Amazing.
    Also, even though uses won't often arise, this could be really cool in UHC. Imagine being on the top of the mountain, and seeing another team below you. Every player in your team has Elytrae. You jump of the mountain, take a dive, hit the other team in a surprise attack and go upwards again. You'll still have enough momentum to repeat the process once.
    While you're doing that, somebody else is descending more gently, shooting arrows at the players from above...
    amazing, right?
  10. Wow! That's useful!
  11. Wait... are you serious? I can't find anything about it.
    SkyDragonv8 likes this.
  12. 607 likes this.
  13. What did they do to boats? I thought boats were meant for faster travel but apparently not according to Jeb.

This was a pointless change, I want OG boats back >.>
  14. He has apparently fixed the lagging issues and allowed for 2 people per boat.
    They have oars and a shovel is needed for crafting.
    Hold A + D to go forward. Hold A to go right and D to go left.
    Jeb plans on making them a bit faster than a sprint.
    607 likes this.
  15. Air Born Creeper?! Satan is that you?
  16. Putting aside everything that people already said about it being potentially game-breaking (whatever that means), I think that the wings look awful. The skydiving effect with the flapping legs is pretty cool (it'd be cooler with the extended hands, like superman), but the wings... irk!
    If they wanted to add flight/gliding for some reason, why not make a potion effect for this or at least a Super Mario cape or a friggin parachute?
  17. How about a wing cap on rare occasion? :D
  18. One of the very few things I care to have in 1.9. And they take durability, it's not infinite use. The more you glide, the less durability they have.