1.9 Introduces Flying!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 6, 2015.

1. With all of those things you're at a severe disadvantage and can't compete with the rest of players in the same task. Your Efficiency I pick won't get you as much stone as another player's Efficiency V. Someone's mob grinder will get them dozens of times more drops than your sword will. That not make as big of a deal to you as to some others...

For a player who wants to get down a mountain, they can just glide off and be hundreds of blocks away before the guy without a glider gets down...

And EMC may not be PvP, but there are plenty of servers that are... and besides, Mojang's already wrecked PvP with 1.9; what else could they lose there? :p
    ShelLuser and PMSubhan like this.
  2. You seem to me fighting down your own argument :p. You admit that things such as mob farms and enchants offer a huge advantage over other ways of playing. This advantage can be quantified and proven (Aikar has even brought up banning mob farms before because of this) but the only benefit that gliders offer is that you can get down faster.

In what situation does it matter whether player without glider can get down faster than another? Maybe you are racing, but in that case you both should set some rules.

Also understand that in this situation, conditions need to be just right. You both decided to climb up the mountain (no idea why but let's go with it) and for some reason have decided that getting down is incredibly important. For some reason the speed at which you get down is important as well. Maybe you both spot some above ground diamonds?

Whoever brought their glider is going to get down faster but this is an incredibly hypothetical situation that you will run into maybe once in the rest of the time EMC exists.

How often do you randomly run into other players in the wild? How often have you decided to climb up the highest mountain and gotten lucky enough to see something cool far off in the distance with nothing else between you and the object?

This is a situation where the advantage is in a specific, odd circumstance compared to the other things listed. I could just as easily argued that because I have a problem with sprinting, everyone else who uses sprinting has an unfair advantage. If you don't want to play the game how it can be played, then you shouldn't have a problem with those who do.

This isn't really intended at you, you were just the last person to bring up the "it will ruin my experience" thing. This is meant to respond to all that have expressed similar fear towards the feature.
    Salmatic likes this.
  3. I probably am. I haven't formed any opinion on the gliders and won't until I actually use them, so I don't believe they'll ruin my experience.

But you're really underestimating the power of the gliders. From the gif in the OP, they'll be something similar to what I've seen in modded let's plays (looking at specifically Etho). Players can hang there for minutes at a time, and I really don't think that should be the case...
    ShelLuser and jkrmnj like this.
  4. I love the new stuff i cant wait just there is to many new things added in 1.9
  5. Let me get some things clear: Mojang does what they want, not what Microsoft wants. The creators of Mojang agree upon adding something and it is done. Obviously Microsoft didn't do this.

Things that will be effected with this added:
    1. Another mode of transportation
    Oh, that's a short list.
  6. I know people hate when people say this, but ever since Microsoft bought Minecraft the game went downhill. I think that's why they sold it. There isn't much left that can be added to the game and now Minecraft is becoming what some people don't want it to be. I would rather walk than fly, because it makes the game seem more real. What Matheus said is true so many things need fixing and some things are just plain broken, like boats. Other things like the end are just plain boring and have no challenge (that is finally getting a revamp). I feel that things like more blocks can be added, and you can never get enough Redstone, but some of the things being added are making Minecraft not Minecraft.
    NOTE: This is just my opinion, no need to criticize.
  7. Pffft, look how their previous attempts at fixing boats turned out. They have had some progress, but I doubt this will be a complete fix. I don't know how the boats in Minecraft work and it could be hard to fix, but seriously does it have to take what, 3-4 YEARS to fix.
  8. Now imagine what will happen if they can be used in combat. Jump. Fly. Hit. Jump. Fly. Hit. All depends on how they work though.
  9. I don't see what the big deal is... really. We have flying machines already and if you just want to be high up you can pillar. If you want to jump down a long ways without taking damage, throw down a water bucket. Some overreactions to this for sure. Also, I promise this isn't faster than my nether rail that will transport you some 1,000+ blocks a minute if you build it right.

Edit: 5,000+
    ChickenDice and jkrmnj like this.
  10. But enchanting doesn't make you fly?
  11. I'm going to hate this...
    XxIamWe3nubxX and WE3NUB like this.
  12. That's just being silly. Of course enchanting doesn't make you fly, however, it does vastly improve on tools. That's what flying (gliding*) does/will do. It will vastly improve on mode of transportation and open the horizons for things not able to have been possibly done before.
  13. But aren't jump potions and speed potions enough? Having the ability to fly will make the two utterly useless
  14. That's if we assume gliding is fast and gliding is easy controllable/can maneuver up and down as requested. Even though there is already horses/minecarts/boats I still see people using potions. I believe gliding will be just like these except is meant to cover the sky. :p
    Gawadrolt likes this.

15. 2:30 shows the gliders being used in 3rd person by Jeb_ This should give you an idea of the speed, maneuvering, etc.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  16. That looks SOOOO awesome! I can't wait. Time to figure out how the snapshots work XD
  17. Please note that you have to find the gliders in things like dungeons, abandoned mineshafts and they are unspawnable. I also believe they're going to be rare too. So jump and speed pots still have their place.
  18. ShelLuser likes this.
  19. Exactly.

Which brings us down to the main question: is playing Minecraft a competition?

I guess our opinions probably differ on that but I don't really see it that way. Of course there are competitions going on from time to time, and during those you want players to be somewhat equal, but generally speaking I see more players being concerned about playing with each other than trying to compete with each other.

So I can most certainly understand the issue if you do pick it up as a competition, but I can't help wonder if it actually is one.
  20. That doesn't change what I said... People will most likely abandon potions once they've found a glider
    ShelLuser likes this.