1.9 Introduces Flying!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 6, 2015.

1. All of those are features which make Minecraft more fun and challenging. How would the game be challenging at all if you had the ability to fly..
  2. "The Ground Shakes Nearby"

"Let's get the hell out of here. Let me get my jetpack/cape that makes me fly, and make a dash for it."
    Catacacalysm likes this.
  3. I am stuck in a rut. I am debating whether or not to hate or love Mojang and its developers. Or maybe Microsoft has really gotten to Jeb's head?

Also, you've been able to fly on a glider since the beginning of 1.8. ;)
  4. With a bunch of redstone and banners yes :p
    Galantisizer likes this.
  5. I'm also a bit of a skeptic when it comes to these changes (it could just as well be a troll) but assuming this is going to happen: what's the big deal?

It's not as if you have to go into the wild and start flying gliding, just like you don't have to go into the wild riding a horse.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is how it would affect my EMC gameplay, and quite frankly I don't see how that would happen.

I mean: here we are in a game world where horses are a thing. The only time when I seriously used a horse was a week or so ago when I wanted to find & look at the waste border... Oh; and a mule a little before that to transport some clay from the Mesa biome on SMP5. Horses are a thing, some people use them all the time (hence /stable is here) yet I haven't really used them so far on the Empire.

Let's talk 1.8: Ocean monuments. Only 3 - 4 weeks ago did a friend and me raid one. For me it was the very first time I ever did that.

I don't see how flying would suddenly heavily affect our gameplay, just like I don't see how horses affect it.

The new combat mechanics otoh... I think that's not going to be fun when you're under attack from 8 or so Enraged Guardians while fighting Momentus. But flying.... maybe you could even use these wings to quickly take off while standing on a hill :p
  6. Planes could be good. I like that one mod that added them I used all the time when I played alpha :p
  7. I'm pretty sure the majority of Minecraft will be flying so that they could either:
    A) Have fun
    B) Speed up the work they need and avoid possible challenges

In the next two paragraphs I didn't leave out you're being biased so I'm not going to talk about that.
  8. Sure, but how is that going to affect you if you don't want it to?
    ChickenDice likes this.
  9. *Microsoft, not mojang
  10. The only good update is the one that lets me play Beta 1.7.3. Sigh, the golden days am I right?
    StarEaterOnline likes this.
  11. You do realize that you can simply turn a /ps setting on so that these guys won't spawn at all? Or that you can keep your /diff setting low so they won't attack you automatically?

Still; I think you're missing my point. Sure you could grab your glider and take off, but you don't have to. It's not as if the gliding aspect is forced upon you. Just like the use of horses is not forced upon players, or the raiding of ocean monuments, etc.

I do get it that some players don't like this new feature, I'm also kind of indifferent to it. But I just don't see how this will drastically affect your game if you don't want it to. Unless of course those flying zombies would become a thing.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  12. Mojang still develops the game. Proceeds go to Microsoft, however.
  13. According to that logic wouldn't enchanting your gear just be speeding up work and avoiding possible challenges? Instead of looking at it as a feature, try looking at it as a tool to help better prepare for challenges. :p
    StarEaterOnline and Gawadrolt like this.
  14. The thing about multiplayer servers is that updates affect everyone. In singleplayer you can always make a rule to not fly, or stay on 1.8/1.9 snapshots. In multiplayer that's not an option. There's no way to control others' behavior, as everyone else will just fly.

For example, a player choosing not to use Feather Falling can do so in singleplayer, but cannot prevent anyone else from using that enchantment in multiplayer.
    PMSubhan likes this.
  15. Why though does that matter? A player chooses to use gliders because the find it fun. How is them gliding around going to affect you in any way? This is the question everyone has been asking and everyone else has been gliding around.

People have complained about faster travel, but this isn't flying, this is gliding. As in you find a really high place and jump to travel a short distance and land on the ground. This is not creative flying. You still have to take the time to climb up a huge mountain, jump off, and hope that there aren't any other huge mountains to run into. This really doesn't make life any easier and only adds something to make the game more fun and offer more ways to play.
    DeathPunchKitty and Gawadrolt like this.
  16. For a player who disagrees with a feature and chooses not to use it, it's affecting them because other players have the ability to use it to gain an advantage over them. True, it's an advantage they can have too, but if they don't want to use an item you can't really blame them...

I was quoting Shell's one response, not the entire conversation. I think you might be quoting the wrong person here.
  17. Sure, I can see that. But that still doesn't really answer my question how it would affect those players who don't care for it.

The only thing about gliding I can come up with is PvP-related issues, but since PvP isn't a thing outside the arena's on EMC...

Most players I know use Eff. V & Unb. III picks. It doesn't stop me from using my "meager" Eff 1 voters pick, and still finding loot. Same for god armor, horses, mules, etc...

Heck, not directly related but still... Some players use automated farms to produce & sell their drops. Yet I'm still capable of auctioning off my own DC's of drops which I got through (semi) manual labor. It doesn't really affect me: I can still do these things I want to, and how I want to.
    Gawadrolt and jkrmnj like this.
  18. Actually according to a few sources, Dinnerbone is working on trying to fix boats. He already tried twerking it before adding like 10x the damage resistance or something to it so it doesn't break so easily but they still break. But iv heard recently hes been working on trying to fix them/improve them a bit.