1.9 Introduces Flying!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 6, 2015.

1. This is literally Mojang's attempt to sell more copies of Minecraft and give 0 craps about how it actually affects the game. The last update I genuinely liked was 1.6 and every update after that I thought was semi-unecessary features with a good thing here and there, but 1.9 feels to me like no other update. They are literally making a whole other game besides Minecraft and just tagging the name on it. It changes way too much and sometimes I wish that servers would have the courage to just stay back on updates because they disagree with the way they're going. But nope, every server thinks they are obligated to update and it kind of sucks, IMO. The players among us that would love to stay in a certain update and play multiplayer are basically out of luck :\
    PMSubhan and Catacacalysm like this.
  2. But we don't need it:?
  3. I was expecting a lame joke but this is worse :p
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  4. What's your point? We didn't "need" horses (1.6) , new biomes (1.7) , improved redstone (1.5) or, any other new features for that matter. To me, this looks incredibly fun. You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't love soaring around through the air... :p
    Spiritress and Gawadrolt like this.
  5. Horses had given us a way to travel fast and carry more items. Biomes gave us new blocks for them to build with. Improved redstone has helped us make better contraptions. I do not know how flying can benefit us at all.. Not to mention, there is creative mode which gives us the ability to fly already. And now that it is coming to survival, it's really hard to define what survival really is
  6. Well it is "flying" from what I see currently it is more like a flying squirrel would fly. You get to a high point and can just glide? I don't know correct me if I am false.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  7. As long as you are still against possible death, then it's survival. To answer your question on how this can benefit us is that it's yet another mode of transportation. I don't see how people can be fine with horses and then not okay with this. I seriously doubt any additions to the game would take place without reason and just because that reason isn't clear at the moment doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Spiritress and Gawadrolt like this.
  8. Mojang, can we just... like... never have an update after this ever again, please? Unless you're going to fix game-breaking bugs in it? Pleeaassseee?

I mean, flying is cool and all, but it just... doesn't seem right for survival.
    Catacacalysm, PenguinDJ and PMSubhan like this.
  9. It's not that whether it will be fun or not. This game was built on a intent to be semi-realistic survival. Add in flying, you get something straight out of a 1st grade comic book. Leave Minecraft alone, Mojang.
  10. I think I'm the only one who's totally excited to fly.
  11. I think it'd be cool to introduce Wind, its relation with the glider could be similar to the way the Deku Leaf worked in Wind Waker, if its in the right dorection, speed boost, if wrong, Decreased Speed and if the gust is fast enough, the possibility of getting knocked into a wall and possibly taking some fall damage like thing?

EDIT- Maybe a New Hostile/Neutral Bird Mob that would make the sky a bit more dangerous for Gliders? Maybe Buzzards?
  12. I remember Alpha days, now they're adding flying. Can they invent a time machine, instead of flying? Like please, common. :confused:
  13. I only got one word to say on things like this and future features in Minecraft... "Microsoft".
    CadenMann, Dektirok and JMB6362 like this.
  14. So you're saying paragliding isn't realistic? :eek: What about zombies, skeletons, and witches? Different dimensions? Diamond tools? None of it is all that much realistic but incredibly fun. I can only speak for myself but I'd much rather play a fun non realistic game than a much duller realistic game. ;)
    Spiritress and AverageWalrus like this.
  15. 100% true.
  16. Last time I had wings, it was because of redbull.
    It will be interesting what will make the final cut though for 1.9.
    Much changed between snapshots for 1.8, from what was added and removed for the final cut.

Agree with the 'random unnecessary things' New blocks are cool (slime blocks, and the three new types are cool), but wish they would focus on craftable things from the blocks we already have in game.

Colored glass stairs.
    Stained, clay stairs.

Or even some potions to mine better/faster. How about a potion that resets your armor 'number of repairs performed'.

Then again, I am sure they are not looking at it from a 'survival' cooperative point of view.
    Start to think factions, raiding, warfare, pvp... starts to stitch some things together I think.
    DeathPunchKitty and PMSubhan like this.
  17. The only way I can see death being possible with flying is if you fall into lava as I am pretty sure that you can land without any damage. Horse is a land travel, while flying is traveling by air. Eventually flying would get boring as you'd be able to transport yourself from one area to another 10x more efficiently. Not to mention, the game wouldn't be as challenging.
  18. Things in Minecraft 2.0:
    • Jetpacks
    • Redstone-powered tools
    • Planes
    • 17 different kinds of fruit
    • Nerfed gapples so they give Regeneration -3
    • TARDIS
    C'mon Mojang... really?
    PMSubhan likes this.
  19. The fruit might not be so bad, though.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  20. Each update has to contain at least one good thing, right? ;)
    Catacacalysm likes this.