1.11 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by 607, Sep 25, 2016.

1. renamed?
    nuclearbobomb likes this.
  2. Renamed chest with a renamed item inside the shulker box :p
  3. Shouldn't have spoiled it yet, I knew the answer! ;)
    Nicely done, though!
    Gawadrolt and Kytula like this.
  4. 16w41a

Thousands of people are mad right now with Mojang's changes to observers. I feel the same too.

The observer was ported from Minecraft Pocket Edition, which is the best selling platform for Minecraft. When first introduced to Minecraft Java/PC 1.11, it had several behaviors different from PE. The community had gotten very settled with their observer and became resilient and enraged to sudden big changes like what has happened today. Many players argue that the PC Observer was better than the PE Observer, before today's snapshot.

Would you join the riot with the other PC players to revert most of the changes made today to the observer, "#makeobservergreatagain", etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtgS60S-vU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgcvNchUEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5072477LY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61TIqRLJfzM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/
    EnderMagic1 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. I think players need to realize that new features which are introduced in snapshots are "as-is". There is absolutely no guarantee that their current behavior will persist simply because you can't always tell if things are actually a feature or a bug.

To be honest most changes make sense to me, there's logic involved. Do note that I haven't tested everything regarding the observer just yet (I installed & tested 41a just this evening).

Take the raised power output (from 1 to 15). It makes sense because 15 allows for the widest range of attached devices to work without having to rely on a repeater (which could 'taint' the pulse signal). The rotation makes sense too, though I admit that I also prefer the observer to be placed with the detection area forward. But this change is consistent with command blocks which get also placed with their "output" facing towards you. Not powering the air blocks makes sense too, no redstone component ever did that.

Of course I can understand the frustration. Because Mojang isn't exactly very transparent with their intents, just read the changelog for the snapshots. There are plenty of changes applied in the snapshots which you won't find in the changelog, which I think is kind of silly. Because how are players/testers to determine when something isn't a feature but actually a bug?

So yeah, can't say I'm very upset over this to be honest.
    607 and ForeverMaster0 like this.
  6. Not precisely activating the air block, though similar, is the idea of quasi-connectivity. Hang a torch diagonally behind a piston, and the piston fires as if the air block above it was powered. Or hang a torch two spaces above the floor, and redstone dust on the floor powers as if the air above it were powered.

BT_
    __P

BT
    __
    _D

(B = block, T = hanging torch, P = piston, D = dust, _ = air)
    Tuqueque likes this.
  7. I really liked the observer block. It was perfect. Now is just another redstone component
  8. True, but that has more to do with the ancient piston bug. Pistons have a more sensitive response to redstone charges than other blocks. So I don't think you can use them as a legit example, because their behavior isn't on-par with the way redstone normally reacts in the first place.

(edit):
    It's still the most compact BUD switch which you could ever build yourself ;)
    607 and ForeverMaster0 like this.
  9. Meh, important meeting tomorrow and I can't sleep. Typical... So while watching a youtube vid while drinking a cup of tea I noticed that one of the complaints is the 15 charge output, an example of the problem was shown with a sugarcane farm (used to work in parallel, now 1 observer would power 14 pistons).

But that's easily fixable! It's not as if we can't have very compact farms anymore:

Sure, you need additional stuff (2 repeaters & 3 blocks). A comparator might be better because it's quicker than a repeater, but that's also a bit more costly to make. But with only 1 extra row in depth I think this farm still outweighs currently used sugarcane farm designs on size.

So basically: repeater strongly charges block, redstone dust below weakly charges block below that and that is picked up by the 2nd repeater which then powers the block under the piston and wham.
    Evesthery, 607 and JesusPower2 like this.
  10. Be careful around the latest snapshot guys (16w42a) because it totally breaks redstone contraptions!

This is what I'd like to call a 'cascading hopper timer'; once one timer is finished it'll start the next which then does the same and so on... Well, as you can see the red netherbrick block is powered but the redstone torch is still lit (which blocks the 2nd timer). That shouldn't have happened.

Another (more obvious) example:

There is power, the block got strongly charged (= charged directly from a power source such as a repeater or comparator) so this charge should have found its way to the lamp too. But nothing...

The bug is known by Mojang, Grum has seen it after which he responded with: "Jikes oops.", very re-assuring indeed :D

So yeah, if you're using snapshots and are using redstone in your world it's best not to upgrade to this version.
    Gawadrolt, ForeverMaster0 and 607 like this.
  11. pics broken
  12. Whose pics? You didn't quote any posts.
  13. i forgot X-X it was shel
  14. I haven't seen any broken pictures in his posts, you might have imgur blocked or something.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  15. Will share more later today, but it seems I kind off hacked Minecraft :D And no, with "hacking" I'm not referring to doing malicious stuff, I mean that I used specific methods to discover more about its inner workings.

I wanted to learn a bit more about internal Minecraft workings, so I checked out my 'versions' folder, then looked at the latest snapshot and opened the jarfile in WinRAR to snoop around. And then I suddenly noticed something:

"structures"? That is the same name which is used inside a save folder whenever you export (or import) something using the structure blocks (see my guide here)!

So I opened it and what do you know? Several folders: "endcity", "fossils", "igloo" and "mansion", and inside those folders are tons of NBT files. In other words: "structure block data files" (or so I assumed). Well....

I'd like to think that I assumed correctly ;)

Want an Endship in your world? Couldn't be easier (you need to have cheats enabled):
    • /give @p structure_block (remember that you can use tab completion).
    • Place the structure block and open its interface with right click.
    • Click the mode button ("[D]") until says "[L]".
    • Enter this structure name: "endcity/ship" (without the quotes!).
    • Make sure that "Show bounding box" is ON, and click "LOAD".
    • Check the box to see if the position is to your liking, you can change things and click 'Done' to move the location around.
    • When satisfied click "LOAD" again and behold: your own Endship!
    This is what the structure block should look like...

This is pretty cool I think!! I assumed as much, but now we know for real that Mojang is actually using their own features as well :cool:

Anyone recognize this:

You can load it using "igloo/igloo_bottom" but quite frankly this doesn't look much look like an igloo to me. Either that or I missed something obvious with igloo's :D

Here's a bonus picture which you probably will recognize:

Yes, you guessed correctly: It's a sheep! :D

More seriously: these are 2 parts of the upcoming fossils which will be made available in Minecraft 1.10. I loaded: "fossils/fossil_skull_01" (bottom) and "fossils/fossil_spine_01" (top).

I'm seriously excited about this discovery. This means that we can use existing Minecraft structures and use them in our own maps if we want to. Can you imagine the possibilities for adventurer maps?!

Anyway, more later :)
    Gawadrolt, 607, Acemox2k and 4 others like this.
  16. It's been a while since I was this eager to play Minecraft after work ;) The above discovery made me wonder about something else: would I be able to override structures? For those of you who are not familiar with the term: overriding is a feature which is heavily used in Java. If your class ('program') contains a method (small block of code which 'does' something and which you can start using it's name, for example like so: myMethod()) then this method can become available to any other class which extends on yours (basically it uses your class as a starting point). So if the new class also defines a method with the exact name then it will override the initial method (make it do something else). This Java tutorial will explain.

So I was thinking: what would happen if I were to make a folder called "endcity" in my world savefolder, place a file called "ship.nbt" in there which would have the exact same dimensions as the one found in the Minecraft jarfile?

Would it be possible for this file to 'override' the existing structure file in the jar?

Patience is a virtue ;) But since I did give you the choice: nope, it doesn't work this way unfortunately :(

I pulled up more structure blocks to check on the size of the endship structure. I basically placed corner blocks around the endship which I loaded earlier, then placed a structure save block and made it detect the 'new' structure. The result was obvious:

Made the new structure block detect the size...

The detected size of the Endship structure: 29x13 and 24 blocks high.

Then I placed a new save block, added the same dimensions and then set up a box next to the endship. The perfect area to build a new endship:

I opened up my (singleplayer) game to the LAN, asked a friend to join & help me and in no time did we come up with the ultimate new endship design. I'm seriously thinking to patent this and mention its design to Mojang because I'm sure they will be very interested in my "Endship v2.0":

Now, the theory behind this is very simple: the end cities aren't generated before the Enderdragon is killed. And even if it is: undiscovered land won't generate anything until it's discovered and loaded. We learned as much from our very own Frontier on EMC: even though the Frontier was generated long before 1.8 we still have access to Ocean monuments.

So I build myself an end portal, lit it up, went to the end, had a horrible and long fight with the Ender dragon (I think it took me at least 4 seconds to type: /kill @e[type=EnderDragon]) and went looking for an End city.

And obviously I found none :D

SO then I had 2 theories: maybe my new endcity folder did override things but because it only contained a ship the game couldn't generate much else. So what if I copied all the NBT files from the original Minecraft jar, replaced the ship with my own and then dumped this new endcity folder in my snapshot save (so that I could use /locate EndCity)?

Well.... this is also where the fun ended ;)

After a gruesome battle with the other Enderdragon (Mojang changed the name, in 1.11 you'll have to use this command: /kill @e[type=ender_dragon]) I located an End city but... nope: it still used the default ship file.

So right now my guess is that if you replace the nbt file within the jar then you will override things. But that's not exactly what I had in mind :)

Even so, I am still excited about having access to official Minecraft structures like this. With some structure blocks and command blocks you can easily make it "generate" your own structure design (most structures, especially the new mansion, are separated in several structure files because of the 32x32x32 size limit for structures).

After re-reading my structure block guide a bit I noticed that I completely ignored and overlooked to explain the usage for the structure void block. I'll fix that right away :)
    gladranger7 and 607 like this.
  17. I love the idea of the Woodland mansion. I am hoping the next giant structure is a castle for the Taiga.

I had the idea of each castle having a courtyard/garden area and a small cavern in the garden. Inside the cavern is the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.
    Maybe the Black Knight with a villager nose can protect the castle. :p
  18. I love this idea! I wonder if maybe EMC could at least add this?
    • Fixed the fishing line calculation being wrong
    • Fixed the fishing line not accounting for FoV changes
    • Fixed fishing bobbers floating above water
    Gawadrolt, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.