Wildfires within the States [2020]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CaptainFoxy_, Aug 16, 2020.

1. that reminds me of the images from the australian bush fires earlier this year, somewhere around february i think. There was so much smoke and it was so red it looked darn near apocalyptic, it was scary
  2. good luck America. fire fronts are fast, come from nowhere and weather conditions change rapidly, especially the winds.
    Fire is one of the worst natural disasters as its "slow and painful" . leaves nothing behind, and the smoke and ash can affect those with respiratory issues and embers create more fires ahead of the front.

I do fear for america as they are in a similar situation we were when we copped our bad fire season. Drought, weather, forest management. I hear the west coast has alot of Eucalyptus trees which can be quite flammable and tend to "explode".

I lived near nattai after moving closer to the city in 2009 from regional NSW. Small property backed onto quite dense, un- maintained bushland.
    we knew the danger of fire and had a decent fire setup which included a water system on the roof and a few windows and also having access to a dam which will supply a large (almost) fire hose beast which had some serious kick to it.
    So end of 2019 and into 2020 a fire breaks out and was quite small, minor and far away. no worries our plan, was basically defend the house.

A week later the fire reaches 100,000 hectares (200,000 or so) acres after being fuel by a constant (i think north, north westerly) wind and 5 years of very minimal rain. we decided to rip up all our grass as it was dead anyway and remove a heap of trees and shrubs.
    didn't take long, and before we knew it we had a large firefront on our doorstep, raining fist sized embers, and basically suffocating on smoke, not to mention the insane heat. we stomped, hosed and put out any spot fires that popped up on what little organic matter was left.
    we stayed and defended the house, and the house only, the detached garage burnt down, cars destroyed along with everything else that wasn't the house.
    fire wasn't there for long, and quickly moved on.
    we got very lucky as the house suffed minor damage to the front porch which suffed some hefty burns and along with excessive water damage and smoke damage. House was later considered a write off by insurance and we took the claim and moved out. Sadly, others in the area lost everything. Firefighters stretched to the limits with a few other major fires burning and communication was appalling. In the end, the green wattle creek fire eventually burnt out after burning 264,000 hectares of land (600k acres) and large loss of life to the animal population.

i hope America dose back burning, which is basically burning the undergrowth away in a controlled setting. Helps alot with containing fires
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  3. oh it was worse, it was basically night time 24/7 in some areas

found one of the only images i have of the fires.
    since got a new phone which went into the ocean, 20 odd meters into davy jones locker
    and no, thats not the moon
  4. wooooow
    just wow
    i cannot imagine living in that
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  5. California's Governor was on TV yesterday, and said that a majority of the fires burning in California were caused by people. That's right, people are the fault of most of these fires. Speaking of which, enjoy this image:

There was a "gender reveal" party that started one of the fires that is now raging out of control...

I'll never understand why people are so incompetent, always... -_-
  6. Is that a real awareness poster? That's ridiculous. :confused:
  7. No, it's a meme stabbing those who sparked one of the main fires that's currently raging out of control in California.
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  8. Ah, I should've been able to notice, in hindsight they made the edit obvious. *facepalm* (I took my glasses of for that) I guess they made it obvious to avoid people thinking it's real... didn't work. :p
    Thanks for the clarification!
  9. There's a small-ish forest fire about 5 miles west of my college campus. We aren't in danger of having to evacuate, but all classes were moved online Thursday and Friday due to unhealthy amounts of smoke in the air.
    [/anecdote]
  10. Take care Rhy! :(
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  11. The fires in California have been so strong that the air quality index for where I live has been at or over "Unhealthy" for 3 days, constantly. I am unable to go for walks since the mask I have is not strong enough to filter out all the particulate matter in the air. The only thing I need now is a Firefighter's mask and all will be good...

Right when 2020 couldn't get any worse, yeah?
    607 and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  12. just wait for December 31st when we all fight God as the final boss
    Joy_the_Miner and Milosaurus_Rex like this.
  13. Your standard over the counter masks don’t work, you need a full gas mask. Regular (And p2) masks don’t get a good enough seal around your face and the nose bridge or whatever it’s called to be effective.

the one possible good thing, that occurs after every single major fire is excessive amounts of rain, so I guess get ready for floods?
  14. Tell that to the people of Paradise after the 2018 Paradise fire, we hardly got any rain that year. Your "rain" doesn't apply to California.

Also, we don't get floods. While I do live in a "flood zone", the entire time my parents and I have been alive, where we live has never flooded. California hardly gets enough rain for there to be a major flood. Floods are almost a non-issue for people where I live.
    TuckerAmbr likes this.
  15. a good fraction of the southwest of america is desert, so yeah, floods are a rarity
  16. I live on the valley floor. It's not a desert. California, as a whole, does not get a whole lot of rain. (Global warming) I remember when I was a little boy, the state used to get a ton of rain, but as time went on, we began to get less and less. Sometimes, if we're lucky, we'll get a very wet winter/rainy season, but those are a pipedream at best.

When we do get one, however... they're very dangerous... When I was in middle school, I remember the school's gym flooded a bit and the hardwood floor was ruined. The sewer system on the street backed up since we typically do not get all this rain on a normal year. (That plus it was a very old part of Sacramento. Probably from the 40s?)
  17. Huh? What is this a reference to? Fireworks? But that's on January 1st, not on December 31st. :p
  18. The joke is that 2020 has progressively gotten worse as the months go by, so at the end of the year, we'll have to literally fight God as the final boss of 2020.
    Impulsive_Egg, 607 and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  19. Wait a fellow canadian? I remember going up to Wood Buffalo in 2015 and then those horrible fires ripped through the year after. Happy you where able to get to safety!