Wild outposts knowledge exchange

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by zulu9, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Oh no this thread is so old we will have to kill you!! ;)
    Just kidding :p
    zulu9 and mba2012 like this.
  2. This is extremely rude to bump. Please consider before you do things like this.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. Its fine to bump if it is still a current subject.
    mba2012, penfoldex and 72Volt like this.
  4. I posted a tip on another thread, I'll post it here.

Be novel and indepth. Create a dynamic, intelligent outpost which has never been done before in a way which has never been done before. Take advantage of key skill areas, like economics, art and design, architecture, politics, literature or anything else you can think of to help.
    zulu9 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. the point of the topic (as been pointed out before) was to help new people starting an outpost and thus was designed to be bumped in one way or another. i am a new player doing that thus not only am i on topic, but i am also doing exactly what this thread was made for.
    zulu9, Bu11dawg, Pab10S and 2 others like this.
  6. also as a hint to where my place may be, if you can figure out this code i will pm you the exact coordinates :p

there are 6 ways to find what lies 40000 leagues under the seat
  7. Yeah, except someone just made a thread about the same topic.
  8. the most recent thread i saw (and it literally came out an hour before i posted in here) had a link back to this thread and was less detailed than this. thus this was still the correct topic to post in. while we are at it you realize that making a post telling someone they are posting in the wrong thread is not only bumping a "dead thread" but also off topic. just so you are the one in this thread who shouldnt be talking whereas i did exactly what i was supposed to. go forum police elsewhere
  9. All good advice, and definitely things to keep in mind when we're finally prepared to open up New Atlantia as an actual wild community.

One thing I am curious about though, are there any other wilderness communities that would be considered "villager-safe," or otherwise designed with both NPCs and players in mind?
  10. We had some villagers at the LLO in some villager-safe areas (some had their own house, one worked the reception at a guesthouse). But this was before more NPC-logic was implemented. Also they often got killed by griefers.

But I like the idea of villager safe elements for wild outposts. Especially for smaller or new ones people won't be that lonely and have some friendly mobs around.
    penfoldex likes this.
  11. im working on a gollum farm for mine so not really villager safe
  12. Just to clarify:
    This thread is old, yes. I started it and it went on for a while and then got lost. Now with the new forum section and the discussion on a wilderness guilde guide that might become a sticky I brought it up here:
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...wild-wasteland-outpost-tips-and-tricks.21596/

I do not remember if it was moved before or after I mentioned it and it does not matter.
    This is not some "come to my shop / look at me" thing that got bumped for selfish reasons. Rather an attempt to fill the new section with useful stuff without the need to rediscover the fire or the wheel first :)
    mba2012, Kephras and jkjkjk182 like this.
  13. From the "New republic" thread while debating a constitution for that outpost.

14. I think one of the best ways to come up with a successful outpost is to set up everything before inviting loads of people. If you have a main area and invite everyone, people will build their houses / other stuff nearby, making it cluttered and you'll have to spread more important resources out because of a lack of space. With my outpost I came up with an area designated for buildings and houses, whereas I'm trying my best to keep everything that people constantly use close to home. Organization is the key. If you just throw something together and call it "good enough" you won't have a successful outpost. You need something unique. Something to separate you from the average outpost. I don't mean unique as "I'm the only outpost with this" but unique as in "Most outposts don't have this." Something to make people want to stay. I'm just going to make a little list and explain each for those who plan to start:

- Organization
    - Leadership
    - Respect (People / Land / Supplies / Etc.)
    - Unity
    - RULES

Organization as mentioned above is key. Anyone can set up a wooden house and call it an outpost. Think of it as if it's real life. You don't want a lot of people living in a crummy cabin, make something that is pleasing to the eye and fun to build! Be proud of what you make, it will draw more mature and fun to be with members!

Leadership is very important. At my outpost I'm not the kind of leader that will tell you what to do, but I expect you to participate. It's not easy, but you need to be harsh sometimes. If someone is just there to "mooch" for lack of a better word, you have to call them out on it. You need people to help hold it together and keep things running. Not people to just tell you what to do, but people that get done what needs to get done. You are a good leader if you don't have to point it out. People are drawn to you and ask you if they need help.

Obviously respect is a huge one! If you don't respect the leader, don't go to the outpost. If you won't respect the land, don't go to the outpost. If you will just take and take and take the supplies but never give / add more, don't go to the outpost. An outpost isn't a free daycare. We're not giving you a place to live and food and entertainment just so you can have a good time. If you don't like helping out, then why even play Minecraft on a public server? Pull your weight! If someone makes something and you don't like how it looks, don't just change it to look better. You can talk to them, and if they disagree, oh well. They made it, not you.

Location is one of the biggest issues I think. A lot of outposts I've seen planned are within 5,000 blocks of the spawn. That's less than 1,000 blocks traveling by nether. It takes very little time to travel to you then. Distance discourages vandals and just mean people in general.

Activity is important because let's say 4 people are active (An hour or two a day - with exception) out of a 16 person community. Those 4 people are then pulling the weight for the 16. It gets boring. I could just go mining and keep it myself. Why would I want to support 12 people for no reason? I wouldn't. Activity with all members makes it more enjoyable, and less work for everyone.

Unity is important because you want your community to be close. You want them to WANT to help each other. If everyone just goes their own way, it's just mining with random people - not fun.

Last but certainly not least are rules. You need to set strict rules and make sure people know them. If people don't listen to the rules, ask them to leave. If they refuse, get a moderator or staff member to help. If you have rules posted (that don't contradict EMC's) then a staff member is sure to help you.

I know a lot of people won't read this, and I'm not an expert with outposts, but this is just what's worked for me, and I hope some people find it useful :D
  15. ^that is very informative ive been kind of milling about creating things with the few people at my place and they all hold respect for my stuff. but very very soon im going to open it up for a few more select people (will post pictures on a new board for the people interested) and didnt think of organising just blank building spaces for them to do with what they wish. thank you
  16. zulu9 and NINJATTILA like this.
  17. Nice work! Great tips and nice name :)
    I really like the map example.

Made me think maybe the project to make a sticky should split up a bit.
    Like:
    * Survival Guide
    * Basic Outpost Guide
    * Pimp My Outpost
    * Mining Guide

etc.
    Jimbonothing64 likes this.
  18. hmmm just wondering, is there any like outpost specific rules you guys use? like to prevent eyesores and what not? need some general ideas
    mba2012 likes this.
  19. yeah at the LLO we recommend you don't build big cobble structures and things, and to not build in other's backyards.