What does EMC mean to you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kephras, Jan 2, 2017.

1. EMC...
    EMC is more than just a community it's a family of memories of fun times, sad times, and all the times. This is a place where if you're having a bad day you have an army of people to support you, this is a place if you're feeling awesome you have people to talk with, and the best part is no one judges you. We may fight, but we will make up, we may leave, but we will come back, and we might make mistakes but we are forgiven. That is what EMC means to me, and hopefully to others as well.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  2. Mmm... A couple nice pals. Some fun time. Some harsh disappointments, too.

This is a good environment to play in, but definitely not something I'd ever call wonderful or inspirational. I'd say it is pretty different from other online groups and forums I've been part of (programming, art and roleplaying ones for the most part). I haven't really found the large amount of group interest I experienced in those. There seem to be much more individualism and competitivity here. I guess that this being game-focused plays a huge role in the different atmosphere I've felt.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't a nice place to play and chat, but definitely not the place where I'd build the same kind of strong, long-lasting relationships reaching outside the game context as I may have done elsewhere. So for me, it is a good gaming server, with a couple great gaming pals. But not a life-changing experience.
  3. All good answers. :) Please, continue to share.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  4. EMC is the place I go to procrastinate since I locked myself out of Reddit.

Now, truth be told, EMC is a lot more than that to me, but I could be here for a very long time.. :p
    Rimont, 607 and Kephras like this.
  5. When I first joined...EMC didn't really mean anything to me. I was just a newbie on a cool server I had found. But I built houses, made friends, and came to know some really great people. I still remember late nights on mumble, laughing with friends. Something about being around people you share fun memories with is just cool. The community here is unlike any online community I have seen (I don't know much about other online communities, but that's irrelevant) and everybody seems supportive of one another. There are good times, there are bad times, but we all shared those times and that's why I choose to stay here on EMC.
    Equinox_Boss and Kephras like this.
  6. It's the place where Luckygreenbird keeps me imprisoned to serve him in his pursuit of unrealistic goals of grandeur and wealth.

I joke.

All in all, it's just place to relax. I wouldn't call it my safe space or home or anything like that, its just a nice place to have some fun and chat with some pretty neat folk. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Equinox_Boss and Kephras like this.
  7. *bump*
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. If it weren't joining up with a few other players, I wouldn't be here. I love the interaction. Mine. Craft. Hang out! Good formula. Special projects with cool people and some fun events don't hurt either, but I've had fun getting better at minecraft and hanging out.
    khixan, Kephras and ShelLuser like this.
  9. EMC, to me, means interaction and fun.

And I say interaction, 'cause I get to interact with others in all sorts of senses! I've made many friends here, and get to talk to many of them, even if not all the time. I get to welcome back players that have been gone for a while who don't remember much of EMC, or they remember every little detail from back before a leave. I welcome back players who were just gone for a month or two do to a leave they had to take. I welcome in new players who have joined the server, and those who joined EMC and left within the same day... So they essentially had just joined the server :p. I get to help out those varying players -- whether they need help learning about EMC, the commands, the waste/frontier, or they need help with a few starter supplies, or just need to ask a simple question. These even extend to some friends, who haven't learned some tings on EMC or hadn't known that something was a thing until it got mentioned/I mentioned it. I help settle what qualms I can between friends, or I try to talk to them about other things to get them calm and not thinking about what may have them upset. I talk to people about in game, I talk to people about small IRL things that aren't a big deal to share, and other things. There's just so much interaction between the community (from staff to players, alike!) and it's a lovely thing!

And I mean... the fun, I don't think I need to explain much, at least in one asepct :rolleyes:. A lot of the interaction I experience IS the fun.

But I mean, I'll explain some anyway, and even apart from the interaction. The interaction is fun because you can talk to other players and learn things, sometimes even group up! Or you can learn to build socially/in groups, get inputs, and whatnot! I personally have a lot of fun with group events (like Miner Mania's, Something Fishy, and Tree Choppers) because you get to take things that you could do on your own, or in single player, or anything that you wanted to do, and you do it in a group. You can learn how people do things. You can talk to them about why a thing interests them. You can get closer and talk with much of the community in these group events.

And y'know, there's the community events (Wacky Wild Wednesday, Hole in One, Holiday events, Art Class, and so on...) where you get to chat still, but you can also compete over some things and have a bit of fun. It takes some of the player's knowledge and skills and put them to the test! Or it can be for something silly just 'cause, well, why not? It's just a lot of fun seeing many different events happen, and people talking to each other and communicating, regardless of if they're working against each other or there's competition. There's generally a lot of jokes, silliness, and sometimes even sharing of tactics and it's just... really nice to see? And it's a lot of fun. I just enjoy myself at these things and it's hard to describe why exactly I like them, I just know many of these things come into play, and I just do!

And even when it doesn't come to the bigger part of the community, even when it comes down to the smaller social groups, or myself/yourself, there's still so much to do and have fun with! You have a variety of choices, from building a res, to making a shop/getting set up in EMC's economy, to mining in the wastes, to building outposts out in the wild... And it's really great! You can do a variety of things, even in small groups or on your own. Sometimes it can prove to be a challenge, but it can be fun, and worth it! And it gives you the opportunity to change things up, if you want to. Not that you necessarily have to, but you have the choice to do so, if you wish to.

And I mean, that's not to say that EMC doesn't have it's bad or negative qualities, too, or that there aren't some issues that I and others encounter... 'cause I mean, nothing is perfect! No place is perfect. But I choose to enjoy the good qualities of EMC, at least as much as I possibly can, and choose to try to open up that side (the good side of EMC) to others and show them a bit more happiness in it, rather than drowning in negativity of the bad things. Being bitter or thinking about the negative things for too long can take it's toll, after all. I know from experience, and would rather try to find the joy in something, at least one thing, for once.

But anyway, it means a lot to me, but to be specific, it means the interaction/community and the fun. And I certainly love it for that :D.

... My apologies for the longness of this post, hehe :p.
  10. I don't mind, I enjoyed reading it. :)
  11. *another bump*
    C'mon guys... help a tiger out. :)
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  12. Emc means a lot to me, now I know my past towards emc, but I have decided to change and forget about my griefing ways and enjoy emc to its fullest. (Excuse my grammar xD) But I think emc is the best server I have ever been on. I have meet lots of nice people from dufne to evilertoade to fallouthood to jdhallow and much more, I have also had fun at events and with my irl best friend sirtah, he introduced me to this server and I could not thank him enough, he is my bestest friend ever and I could not ever wish for another one! :D This server is a second home to me and I will start treating it like one, I have no bad irl issues like some people do on emc, but I still consider it a second home and the best minecraft server ever! So in conclusion I think that I will play emc for a long while to come. I will always love emc for its community and nice players! I enjoy talking to other players! :D So yah that's what I think about emc! :D
    Dufne, 607, Jelle68 and 2 others like this.
  13. For me, EMC is more than a regular Minecraft server, for me it's like we're a big family. We're a very tight community and I think even if this wasn't a Minecraft community, it could truly be anything else for any other game around.

Another thing I got to say is that I never would've worked so hard on my writing if it wasn't for EMC. I really would've lacked motivation. So I'm kinda happy I ran into you guys by reading a Minecraft book so long ago.
    607, Jelle68, Kephras and 1 other person like this.
  14. So this is what really makes it for me. Humour, fun, creativity... EMC is a place for me to get to relax, unwind, cut loose (most importantly) all while interacting with a great community. With all the things that go on irl it is important for people to take some time to have fun and enjoy life a little, and relax. Its Healthy.

EMC is my medicine :)
    Kephras, 607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  15. Kephras,
    I know I am posting this way past your deadline date... but... I have found a lot of good friends here on EMC and so much more. This place has one of the greatest communities I have even seen on MC servers ever. I do like the economy and town things and the auctions on the forums but I also like how others are dedicated to their personal home SMPs too and defend them. :) I've been here for 2+ years now and have served in many capacities but playing here is my favorite time. I love to build, haggle on prices auction prices on the forums, and help others to stay here cause a new person doesn't know how great this place is until you show them. I'm not gonna get mushy in this post but I have several people that helped me grow here and I thank them for that and everyone else here on EMC. Just say'n.

Thanks for this thread and letting me express myself,
    Breezy

P.S. Don't go.

Edit: You have to stay and show others how great this place is too.
    607, ShelLuser, ChumMiner and 2 others like this.