What does EMC mean to you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kephras, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Minecraft is just a game. There are countless servers out there that host it in one form or another. Plugins, mods, modes, minigames, you name it. And yet, here we are.

So tell me friends, what makes Empire Minecraft special to you? And please, while I rarely make this request, I ask that you keep this thread serious and on-topic. The answers are more important than you know.

(And on January 29th, I'll share mine as well.)
  2. Invested 5 years of time here. Would be a waste to leave it so simply/easily. Also the people I met here are cool, had the opportunity to meet a few IRL. So the server has been more than a game to me but has shown me some of my greatest friends. I guess that's special. Right?
    padde73, UltiPig, khixan and 5 others like this.
  3. Where else can you be married by having a fish thrown at you?
  4. EMC = Memories

Everything we do becomes a memory. From my blue ribbon hotel days on SMP2, to Maxarias and I's epic fire vs ice battles, to being slapped in the face with a fish and subsequently learning I'm married to Seffy now, to the really random sign conversation I had with a player that sprawled across their entire residence by the time we finally stopped, to the random arguments of 'chips' versus 'fries' that comes up at LEAST every month in mod chat (don't even mention the biscuits versus cookies debate), and to so many other memories that I cannot list them....They are all cherished moments that have the power to bring a smile to my face, just by thinking about them.

This is going to sound ridiculously sappy, but one of the best parts of my day is when I get to go online and just talk to players, and especially when I get the time to run events. I enjoy seeing people have fun.

So in short, EMC means the continual creation of these memories that I have the privilege to participate in daily.
    SirCue, MCSaw, Tigerstar and 16 others like this.
  5. You are my new favorite person
    SirCue, UltiPig, RainbowPony and 4 others like this.
  6. I'm only answering for teh rupees
    MajorHaze, Roslyn and SkareCboi like this.
  7. "Extremely Mild Chat" #Not
  8. As amusing as that is, please take this topic seriously and kindly do not make it a platform for your grievances.

I'm sure the forum knows well enough by now my reputation for humorous quips, but this is one subject I would like kept serious. If you have nothing positive to contribute, I politely request you ignore this thread.
  9. Fun times, whilst EMC's had it's uh.. dark times, most of the time I have here is enjoyable. I've made a lot of friends here and can even drag my IRL friends on from time to time, it's just good fun.
  10. Currently
    MajorHaze likes this.
  11. It that it?
    jjhhgg100123 and MajorHaze like this.
  12. EMC = friends and family

When i came here first in august 2014 I Really didn't know what to expect but the community took me in with open arms. I've made many friends here and this place has really helped me through some tough times!
    Eviltoade, khixan, MajorHaze and 4 others like this.
  13. I've edited the OP a bit to reflect the point of this thread.

If rupees and riches are all that matter to you, it is of course your right to say so. But the answers in this thread have a purpose, one I hope will extend far beyond the thread itself. A picture might be worth a thousand words, but I'd prefer to have your words this time around.
    SirCue, MajorHaze, RaiinNL and 2 others like this.
  14. If rupees were the only thing that mattered, I'd've quit by now..
    But in all seriousness, EMC to me is.. a different world. When I'm struggling irl, when nothing and nobody can cheer me up, I turn to EMC (even if it's just the forums).
    As I'm writing this, I've just made a decision which pains me much but others will benefit more from, so as mentioned above, forums it is!
    Not to mention the friends that I've made, and maybe a few bad desicions *cough cough* lava *cough cough* thrown in there too.
    And before you ask, yes, I'm trying to sound mature in the way that I phrase this (please say I'm doing good, self confidence).
    So, in conclusion, as I stare at my tiny iPhone SE screen and type this, EMC is a home inside my computer/laptop/desktop/mac/whatever-you-call-it. It is where I can go to to have fun, and relieve myself of the irl problems and pains, even if only temporary.
    That is EMC for me.
    My sanctuary.
    SirCue, padde73, Kytula and 9 others like this.
  15. Hm... I've never really put the thought into my head. What does EMC mean to me?

Quite frankly, I don't recall much of my first days here. I think that's reasonable considering I was nine years old. I am fourteen right now. That seems young, but I've been around on the Empire for five damn years. I still think of the Empire as a place to call home and I consider you all like my family. I know we've had our ups and downs together, and you guys managed to pull me through it all. I know I don't play a lot anymore, simply because I don't have the time, and I feel terrible about it. I'm awake at 4 AM writing this though, and it's not just because I have nothing better to do. You guys always pull me through any issue I have, and I consider you ALL my best friends. Where do I even begin? From when I played on SMP7, to when I moved to SMP8 and you all welcomed me with open arms. From when I was a little kid trying to gain respect to when I gained a title on the contribution team. You guys have supported me endlessly. Yet, I still haven't answered the question at hand. What does EMC mean to me?

EMC to me means family. That sounds cliche (what else would you expect from me?) but it's so, so true. I don't play anymore, and when I do get on it feels just like the old days. However, I always consider you guys my family. You're like a warm house where everyone is nice and amazing in their own different ways. I'm not sure where I'd be without you guys, in all honesty. I love you all. It's four in the morning. I need to sleep.

In conclusion, you guys are the best. EMC means love all around. We're like a big 'ol dysfunctional family. We have our fights, and we have our amazing times, but in the end you guys are all the most lovable, accepting people I know. I love EMC.

Edit: I can't stop writing. It's 4 AM, why should I stop? What's a life?

I want to elaborate on the "family" part of my mini-speech. In reality, we're all humans with brains and personalities just operating behind these profiles. I'm a Canadian boy going by the name of CadenMann. I'm the same person, I'm just online. We all are. We're all human. The actual game doesn't even matter to me. It's all about being around you guys. None of you understand how much of an impact you've actually had on me. I've changed since the 5 years ago that I joined the Empire. Although I very vaguely remember it, even 2 years ago when I was unbanned for the first time, I was a different person than today. I've changed a lot, but haven't we all? I sincerely think that the main reason I've changed so much is all you guys - you are all people with opinions and view points that differ from mine, and that all helps to change me as a person and overall make me a better guy.

I don't want to stop writing but I'm pretty sure my music is getting loud and I'm about to fall asleep. Once more, you guys are the best. I would hug you all if I could. I love you, Empire.
  16. To answer your question: EMC means a crazy amount to me! It has at least partly benefited my own personal growth as I have changed from an annoying busy-body kid, into an annoying teenager, into a (hopefully - fingers crossed but I guess I'll find out when I reflect in 2.5 years) less annoying adult while playing here. I've been able to surround myself with some great people here too. Never have I found myself so personally invested in a community and I imagine it's unlikely that I will find myself to attached to a place like ours again. I think the fact that we are continuously a warm home to the people here, continuously building friendships (and in some cases relationships oo-la-la) and continuously having fun (even with a couple of dramatic moments every now and then) makes EMC incredibly special (coming up to 6 years now!). Special is what it has become to me, if not to everyone lucky enough to be a part of it. I know that just sounds like I put a bunch of warm- and fuzzy-sounding words into a sentence, but EMC is much more to me now than a server, an economy, a forum and etc. If you just strip that stuff away, EMC is still a tight-knit unit that I personally think we are all very lucky to have found and become a part of.

(The modchat food wars are great too - we just had another one and, of course, the Commonwealth wins ;))
    Roslyn, Tigerstar, Dufne and 10 others like this.
  17. I recall no such announcement of victory by all parties. It's you're fault I'm salivating over biscuits and gravy at 4:00 am in the morning.

^Memories <3
    Tigerstar, cul1002, Kephras and 5 others like this.
  18. EMC was my very first minecraft server a little over a year ago :p so yes, I'm a bit of a noob :p but in that time I have made amazing friends and had such great times with those online. It's more than a game to me. Getting online with some irl friends as well as incredible online friends and just goofing off are some of my best memories :D I remember some friends and I had an outpost (before the anti-grief update) and it got griefed pretty bad; they even took the floor boards :D but the fun of it was even having the outpost in the first place; actually making it :) its cool being in contact with those in other countries too, like "oh it's 2017 for you? It's 7pm on Dec. 31 for me" :p I've met so many amazing people on EMC, including the wonderful person I share my profile pic with <3 Everyone online is so supportive and I feel like those who come to me for advice I could also come to :) some people online know things about me some of my irl friends don't know! Like the reason I have/had teal hair, a secret I have from last year and my absolute biggest annoyance in the history of annoyances :p I remember when I first joined the player who came to my res and gave me diamonds after I told her it was my first time playing minecraft ever. She's delerict now, but being welcomed onto smp8 like that made me feel special and (in addition to the hilarious town chat) helped me to stay, despite knowing no one online :D And I remember the very first Dragon I killed with the love of my life on his birthday :D Of course everyone has their "diva moments" and times when the drama is overwhelming, but to me it's all worth it. It's worth being part of such a wonderful community. EMC is like a family in a way. A big, silly, sometimes frustrating and annoying family :p and like any family, we have our upsides and downsides. To me EMC isn't a server- it's the community in the server. And that's pretty special <3

And so many fish slaps... so many :p
    Dufne, RainbowPony, Kephras and 5 others like this.
  19. EMC was my 2nd MC server I ever played on waaayyy back in 2011. I was on a random server search after my previous server was shut down.

I EMC was the 3rd one I joined in a total of 20 servers 'tested' and it was the best in every way. Back then EMC only had main.empireminecraft.com/arenas.empireminecraft.com/utopia.empireminecraft.com without bungee (the /smpX switch command). When I first joined I was walked to my res by JustinGuy, who also gave me my first blocks and some starter tools to start off my adventure. I kept my first residence (841) for a good 4.5 years and then moved on my current 'ECBD' next to SMP1 spawn.

EMC is, and always has been, family. People come and go but our core players always find their way back here ! I myself am happy to call myself one of the 2011 elite who still play! I'm sure that i'll be playing here until MC becomes boring (which it rarely does).

EMC is home, EMC is family, EMC is crazy people with great idea's and funny moments, EMC is for everyone.

I think that sums it up just about right!

~Ecli out
  20. EMC..

EMC was the start of my minecraft adventure.
    I had just bought MC, played like 2 hours in a SP world. I was so confused, didnt know how or what to do.
    So I thought lets try multiplayer!
    After a hour finding out how it works to add a server to the list.. ( me and computers... )
    The first server I found was EMC.
    And here I am.
    Still on EMC. And I still love it!
    EMC is gonna be my first and last server, Im sure about that.
    Thanks to EMC I now know how to play MC.
    I finally understood how to make a furnace.. ( yup, a furnace. )

Thanks to all the good people on EMC.

And that is what EMC means to me, the people.
    If I need help, someone is there to help me.
    I had a bad day? Someone is there to cheer me up.
    But that means also for the people who need help, I would love to help!
    I really care about the people on the server.
    Love to have a chat, love to getting to know people better.

EMC isnt just a MC server for me, it feels like a family.