Upcoming changes to the official Empire AFK Policy

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Aww man, I had a really great idea for a sort of compromise or something but by the time I read to the end I forgot it :(

I remember: In order to encourage activity, have rupee bonuses for activity. So 10 minutes of active playing is nothing, then after 20 minutes you receive a 20 rupee bonus, then after 30 minutes 30 rupees, and 40 40 rupees, and so on. Of course people could abuse it and have them and their friends share an account and so they are constantly on so after a day they would be getting an insane amount of rupees, so some sort of cap or curve would have to be in play, such as after 100 minutes it only increases by like 2 rupees every 10 minutes.
  2. Alright I am going to place my opinion after thoroughly going through all the pages.
    Personally, I think Iron Farms should be Nerfed or banned. Reason? People keep saying that Iron Farms are an end game thing and Aikar stated that it is a sign of boredom. While you guys are saying that you spend x amount of rupees, there are new players that are months away from the "end game" thing. They go to mine iron in the wastelands and after the smelt them and stuff they see that they get little to nothing for their hard work.

I really want this AFK thingy to go in place. You never know how people truly feel until it happens.

If you feel I attacked you, I do not mean any harm or attacks for I am a person who likes to state their opinion.
    dresden72, 607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  3. my opinion as a staff member on this is as follows: aikar does not implement changes like this without alot of forethought and even members opinions. he also has the unique ability to look past the issue of players being complacent with failing methodology. I'm sure he will come to a conclusion that the largest majority are fond of and thus emc will become better because of it.

as a player however i think careful consideration needs to be made into peoples investments, and by that i mean time put into things. This obviously is a needed change in some form or fashion and i think most shop owners know that even if they are against it. i mean seriously it shouldnt be easy to get your hands on 500 iron ingots a day (or however much you get from voting) iron is meant to be rare as is gold.

my overall opinion is instead of arguing against a needed change both sides need to come up with the best possible compromise and thus everyone (even players who have not joined yet) will be happy
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  4. I do agree but with this "iron is meant to be rare as is gold." Iron is meant to be common.
    607 likes this.
  5. not really if you think about it, conventional means of harvesting iron net you a single iron piece after you use up a fuel source that means one iron from one iron ore, you can net 3 diamonds with a minimal investment of fortune pick sure you are going to find more iron ore then diamond but you dont have ingots then do you? and i meant rare as in from other blocks anyways, youll mine what 100 blocks of stone perhaps and a couple of dirt before you find a large iron pocket? it is meant to be a "common rarity" would be the more correct way to put it i suppose
  6. It is a rather curious thing, how right you are.

Yes, I used to complain, but something has really surprised me recently.
    I had recently tripled my price for iron, from 2r to 6r. To me, that new price is ridiculous.
    I did this to keep stock high, and buyers almost nonexistent until I could make a better plan.
    But... People still bought from me.
    Maybe it was because it is a semi-popular shop, maybe it was because 6r IS a really good price (or will be), or maybe the buyers didn't know any better. Who knows, but the fact of the matter is I still made sales.
    Either way, this update will probably not be the end of the world to farmers. I have a solid rupee history to prove that. Here's a tip: management is key to any shop or business.

In all honesty I will probably never be able to sell in bulk again... But that does not matter too much. People continue to buy and I will continue to sell.
    Aikar's one hour afk rules will probably be the best middle ground we are going to get out of this.
    Let's keep it that way, for no more and for no less.
    dresden72 and 607 like this.
  7. So my strategy of playing Pokemon while I wait for stuff to accumulate/grow/spawn is still gonna work out for me.
    My only sadness is that I will probably go down in the EXP ratings if more people actually physically kills stuff.
  8. I promise you, no-one is attacking you.

There is a difference between someone stating a difference of opinion, and someone attacking you. They did the former, and did not go anywhere near the later.

In fact, the tone that you're coming across in is the closest to attacking out of everyone.

And no, I'm not attacking you. I'm stating a difference of opinion, and moderating the thread, as is my job.
  9. Perhaps Utopia has different AFK rules to make it fairer?
  10. Thanks, Jack! :)
    (I'm absolutely not being offensive here)
  11. I also want to point something out - For the past 2 years of EMC, if the servers was full, you couldn't AFK farm anyways... Unless you broke the rules and bypassed our system.

This rule has already been in place just not enforced at low pops. Just because it wasnt enforced doesn't mean the rule is removed.

We are growing fast again, even if we don't implement ANY changes, you still will eventually not be able to AFK all day simply due to the afk kicks already in place.

So in reality - nothing is changing except an enforcement even when not full.
  12. Compromise is king, AFK booting is what it will be, but 30 mins is much too short. Someone said 60 mins, but I couldn't find who posted that comment, that is much more reasonable and appreciated.

I do apologize for being aggressive, I become defensive very easily. And I am sorry for being out of line.
  13. I'm gong through the SAME thing lol. I've been gone for like a year. Remember nothing!
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  14. annoying to see the devs are wasting their time on things like these instead of working on stuff that has been annoced foreeeeeeeever like the dragon tombs...

btw 99.9% of ppl that have played minecraft on emc for years spend alot of time afking at different farms. And you live in a fairytale-world if you think they are gonna be alright with the 1.8 mojang changes+econonmy jibberish-change+afk policy change at the same time. You gonna lose alot of of old time members(mostly which are paying supportership) just to make a few town-crybabies happy.

Fix your sights on dragontombs instead dude!
    samsimx likes this.
  15. http://empireminecraft.com/threads/opinion-debate-threads-a-reminder-to-all-involved.35455/
  16. That reminded me of another server where you got 'loyalty points' according to how long you spent active in-game. The loyalty points were used for various things. But here in EMC, it could be a straight log-in bonus of rupees. You get 100r per hour you spent online yesterday or something. No cumulative bonus though! That just straight up encourages very bad gaming behavior. (Reminds me of the story of the kid who was found starved to death at his keyboard. seriously).

Loyalty points on this other server were used in conjunction with towny for claiming land, and other stuff. (very customised server... too customised)
  17. you know what would really get players all worked up... if Aikar just reset the Nether, Frontier, and Wastelands completely right before putting in this AFK policy. that would wipe out all the farms :)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  18. All farms, plus all wild outposts and bases.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  19. hey, i can have a dream!

20. I'm Elite :)

But in all honesty - I don't like afking ... only time I afk is if I have to run to another room or something ...
    PandasEatRamen and BevK56 like this.