The town is growing!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solution for people who want corner residences. (A brand new town set up needed)
  2. Yep, that's one of the plans we discussed and yes, the decision isn't final until the residences are placed so there is time to change to this system. However, the edge people will still be slighted and some players will be upset at the new numbering system not following the old layout and there being new corner residences created, making theirs less special. We can't win every one's approval. That much is for sure. I'll discuss more with Aikar and we will have the final decision later today.

the gold ring however: Unlikely
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  3. Cool!
    I must confess I didn't read pages two through six, so if something important happened, I missed it.

Edit: Ah okay, there seems to be a fuss because of people liking their residence being next to emptiness.
  4. What's with all the complaining? You shouldn't care! I've got two border residences and I simply don't care, be excited for new members/friends
  5. If you want to make me happy, give me all of your valuables. No, but really, if you want to make me happy, realize the situation here. I do not think people realize how often features/changes are redistributed/distributed here.

-/map hide was taken away from being supporter only perk
    -Setting a bed as a spawn at any time of day was taken away from being a supporter perk
    -TNT usage was taken away from being a supporter perk
    -The entity cap was added
    -voting rewards were significantly increased
    -view range in town was decreased
    -endertopia was added
    -flying on utopia was added as a supporter perk
    -flying on utopia was taken away from being a supporter perk
    -games (mob arena, fire floor) are being removed from their historical servers and being added to the game world (eventually)
    -etc

These things have all caused pockets of discontent. These pockets run into the 1% issue, they are the groups of people who feel very strongly for any reason, yet the rest of the world does not appear to understand them. Yes, we get that corner/edge residences are valued by their owners. We have all been in the situation where the whole world seems against us. But, while keeping the "minority" is necessary, keeping everyone, overall, happy is the main goal here. This is not just about numbers, this is not some ploy by the EMC staff to devalue all residences, this is about the community overall. Many people want fresh players. Many people want new neighbors. Many edge owners wish they could be surrounded by active people. Many people want more populated events.

When /map hide was taken away as a supporter perk, I was very unhappy. I posted several posts on the thread, and even sent Aikar quite the long PM about the direction EMC was heading in.

When I thought that my wild creations were in danger of reset (yes, there was a time when the wild was in consideration for reset), I was an active warrior against all things reset, and I was partly in the minority.

If I owned a corner res at this time, I would be upset too, and for good personal reasons. But the fact is that in a community such as ours, while personal/small group/minority happiness is very important, the community happiness is the most important. I have made many compromises in the name of community here, all against my preferences/will. But we are all still fine, and we will all be fine in the end of this as well.

I am still for discounting residence moves for everyone. Compromise should be had on both sides of this deal, but not in a restricting sense.
  6. To be honest I think they have every right to complain, and should even. First and foremost it might help them relief of some stress and frustrations and as can be seen in the thread; the staff actually listens to arguments and even responds to them.

Although I may not agree with their opinion I think that its a very good thing that people speak up.

That's what makes a community after all.
  7. I am not going to state my agreement or disagreement with this plan, or my opinions on residence locations, server load, and the like. However, I will agree with those who have stated that you cannot give everyone exactly what they want. No matter what is changed or not changed, whether a change is made at all or everything is left exactly as it is now, there will always be someone who thinks it's a bad idea, someone who feels like his/her needs haven't been met, someone who feels victimized, or someone who simply won't be happy for whatever reason. It is completely impossible to accommodate everyone when individual desires directly conflict.
    I think staff really needs to assess the needs of the server as a whole and listen to input from everyone, but at the same time, the community needs to be respectful of staff decisions and be willing to compromise sometimes.

Also, each smp town will now be laid out as depicted in the image below. Each player's location on the new layout will be determined using the Hogwarts Sorting Hat later today.

8. Maybe there should be more town spawns, 9, like the frontier spawns. then, since there's only 4 corners and 62 spawn plots, spawn plots will be easier to obtain at people will car a little less about their corner plots.
  9. That would displease the current owners of spawn plots. ;) As we've said, all these solutions are good, but none can possibly be perfect.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  10. So I pulled Aikar aside from his daily work and we discussed this.

The final decision is as follows:
    The town will remain square with the residences added to the outside in a square ring pattern, following the exact pattern that was set forth with the town creation.

Starting today: The price for a residence move prices for EVERYONE will be lowered until June 1st.
    Normal smp res: 50,000r
    Utopia res: 100,000r
    No supporter discounts will apply to these services while the price is dropped in order to be fair to all players that want to move.

Please contact a senior staff if you would like to move residences. The corner residences will be reserved for the previous corner dwellers (nw corner reserved for previous nw corner owner, etc) until April 9th. If after April 9th, the residence has not been moved into by the player it is reserved for, then it will be up for grabs by other players.
  11. You guys (Top Staff) are truly unbelievable. I'm not sure why I still let it surprise me. Complete hypocrites. And for those who don't give a damn because it isn't them, you are what is wrong with the world.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  12. How can you say that people who voice their opinions are wrong with the world. The world is based on opinions, if we did not have opinions we wouldn't have alot of things you enjoy today. I am done with this thread since it has been resolved. You voiced your opinion, so please don't talk bad about the opinions of others.
  13. ???
    You are being given a 50% discount on res move AND priority for the newer corners for a month!
    I was honestly trying to understand your point, but now you're being irrational, I'm sorry.
  14. As Math clearly stated above, you are getting a 50% discount on your res moving, so you can move your res when the time comes! I still do NOT understand why you're trying to argue here. Might you be able to clear up your point, after the Staff have made a final decision ot accommodate the changes happening?
  15. I have a PM ready to send to Senior Staff requesting 3 residence moves. However, can we expect such expansions in the future? I'm dreading paying for more than 3 moves every time town expands...

I believe I know the answer but I am not looking forward to it.
  16. I sense that your trying make a "Thing in which those players had a Valid Opinion about the matter" into a whole spectacle trying say that Top Staff and other Staff members don't care about community's feelings. In Fact, we do and this the conclusion that Admin came up with to settle the manner and I agree what they came up with.
  17. There will be an addition of a minimum 160 residences per normal smp. This coupled with the continuing cleanup of derelict lots will result in a large time gap before any more residences are needed. However, yes eventually the towns might have to grow again, but it will be a long while until then and due to the numbering system, we can't follow the old plan anymore at that point so things will have to change slightly.
  18. Fantastic! Thanks. :)
    Perry_Stahlsis and ShelLuser like this.
  19. What does the ring mean, may I ask?
  20. Add at least one residence wide around the entire town layout
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.