[Suggestion] Global mute/ban announcements

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by HazardousCode, Sep 7, 2020.

1. You all know the situation. Someone joins, becomes a trouble maker, and you report and wait for something to happen.

Obviously staff is great at their jobs and usually are pretty quick to take action, but unless you're on the SMP the trouble maker was on, you don't know if it's been taken care of yet.

Solution: Make mute/ban announcements global.
  2. Sure, I can get behind this +1
    HazardousUWU likes this.
  3. I recognise your motive but to be quite frank I don’t think ban announcements should be publicised at all...

I don’t exactly have a reason why except it’s degrading when you’re on the receiving end; everyone makes fun of you. Bans and mutes are not given for other players’ entertainment, they’re given so the player knows to not do it again. Once the report is lodged, it is not our business any more. Just ignore and move on.
    loj, Zbid, 607 and 9 others like this.
  4. Sorry... but I don't think this is a good idea.

I agree with everything cTJx said. Just ignore and move on. No need to publicize a ban.
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  5. -1

Credit where it's due, on paper, your idea sounds like it's noble, but making a ban public information is bound to cause more drama than to fix it. Every player on EMC will begin to talk about it instead of continue with their lives.
  6. I hear y'all - but this is already a thing. The announcement happens on the SMP the player is on. I'm just asking for an upgrade to it now that global chat is a thing.
  7. That's a local announcement that is solely isolated to the server chat which the ban takes place on. We already have global chat as well, but I do not feel like the announcement of a ban or a kick, would be beneficial for the community.
  8. -1

The goal is to give spammers, hackers, etc the least amount of attention possible. A global mute/ban would give them the attention they want.

I would argue to remove the ban/mute announcement entirely.
  9. Everyone talks about giving attention where it shouldn't be, but why not? The humiliation of the punishment is part of the punishment itself. Not to mention it helps the other players maintain trust in the system as they can see for themselves when it's in action. It can help prevent abuse of power because if players notice a particularly large number of questionable punishments, they can speak up. This also isn't out of line with EMC's historical approach to these problems, such as having the ban graveyard, having banned status on /p, and having the status be broadcast local. +1
  10. The current system is sufficient, though with the addition of global chat, I'd honestly rather remove the announcements altogether. Some punishments ARE already 'silent' by not sending a message except to the punished. Instead of ban announcements, we could make join/leave messages global because they are more important to the communication aspect.

Note:
    Bans are not meant to be degrading humiliation and the only person intended to dispute a punishment is the player being punished because other players do not have access to all the information to say if it was fair or not. The removal of the ban graveyard was intentional to remove public humiliation and any notoriety of banned players who may find it entertaining to have their names associated with bad deeds. Yes, banned status is still available with /p, but you have to deliberately type that to get the information. It's not publicized. We don't glorify bad behavior on EMC.
  11. I wonder if asking this thread to be locked is out of the question, seeing how the current system seems to be sufficient?
  12. It's still very new thread-wise and I suggested an alternative, not necessarily stating outright yes/no, so for now I'll leave it open for the players to discuss further with the added info from my post.
  13. I'm all for this. Although, how would this handle server switches? I'm assuming if it's under a certain threshold of time that it wouldn't even show; though it might be useful in some cases to see that someone had, in fact, switched servers.
    HazardousUWU likes this.
  14. I'm talking about the people we already announce, not trying to announce new things - specifically the ones who show up for the sole purpose of causing trouble. I don't know how many of you play into the late hours, but we often have to wait for something to happen. And if there's enough chaos being caused and it hasn't been handled yet, someone usually has to dip into some personal contact information or head to discord or so forth. It's nice to not have to /p to know if it needs worried about.
    This is what I'm looking for.
    I'd worry less about this and more about the ability to observe how the system works. I trust that staff isn't abusing powers, and if they were that someone in staff would notice. The community is sometimes polled about how they want things handled. And we also have scenarios where things that happen don't make sense/are inconsistent and we get to ask about the rules. I'd go on, but my theory is basically the equivalent of watered down government transparency.

Is that even possible? Aren't the messages specific to SMP? Like, if I disconnect it's from the SMP I'm on. Are the devs able to track who is on the entirety of the server like that? Would this overwrite SMP specific messages?

As of current, staff has sometimes been known to announce "It's been taken care of" in lieu of a global broadcast. I'd like to hear that staff has had a conversation about that happening (publicly or not, however is appropriate for that business to be conducted) - both that those members have had a chance to elaborate on why they find it beneficial, and going forward what the compromise there is.
  15. be sure that when some one mutes it that people sending messages know they are not hearing it....

i mute or turn off chat so my 7yrold can play and wow people get mad/mean when he ignores the pm in game.

he's 7...lol
    BlackKnightess and TomvanWijnen like this.
  16. What is this in reference to? There is no ping involved in a mute/ban announcement as a punishment for inappropriate behavior.
  17. Let me be more clear....maybe a suggestion of a similar to AFK interaction but like do not disturb or not hearing/monitoring chat

Such that, a player may turn their chat incrementally off not including in-game PMs....or such that only mods and friend list could reach a player on DND or Not monitoring chat......make sense?

There are folks that historically will use the map show or tp to find you and get in your face with their personal issues that simply do not involve you...especially those unsolicited from unfamliar/nonfriended players......as a function of their feeling ignored by you or your 7yr olds unwillingness to participate in their drama/griefing....actually experience as an example....some belief that griefing warnings for them smashing up your outpost might raise your undivided attention enough to switch your chat back on....to be berated or hassled by their tantrum.

Another example, as in they killed 150-175 of your pen raised cows and felt the need to ignore your dont grief my farm signs.....but then demand you attention for post slaughter ad-hoc blessing by being in your face at your outpost.

Look, we love EMC and realize that there are a wide and varied spectrum of player backgrounds.....ALL of my posts in this thread are intended to help serve as constructive criticism to help improve EMC player experience and overall fairness.....as EMCs diversity IS its strength. I am not a software tech or coding person....so the nomenclature in the previous post and previous comments may feel like two ships passing in the night. So let me try to explain/clarify.

With that said, as an adult with thick skin and not prone to overreaction....there have been some interesting in game experiences and chat comments than have been HIGHLY inappropriate, and others a bit edgy for a younger audience.

I believe that the management/leadership of EMC has gone ABOVE and BEYOND it obligation to keep chat fair and family friendly.

I am simply stating that a Do Not Disturb or Global Chat off/PMsg off/friend list chat on.....a sort of multi-tiered control of chat might merit thoughtful consideration......as a complete chat off blackout (unlike of AFK) while you are moving around and playing seems to anger certain players for some reason.....and im not certain that is disposition or just a lack of understanding that chat is off(or you were chatting and quit when turning it off and game control to your 7yr old)

Maybe that make some sense.....im not interested in getting in to a banter with the ALL police...nor do i have an axe to grind over a by-gone in-game interaction....im just stating some people have some really strange emotional triggers that being ignored in chat seems to magnify....of which i have bumped into more than once in-game.

Simply Put a series of tiered level chat control switches coupled with .....A possible/resonably scrolled notification of chat status, clarifying same. might resolve minimum or eliminate un-desireable triggering.

thank you for your consideration the suggestion

GO TEAM EMC! Great Work!
  18. We are sort of talking about feeding the trolls and some times ignoring them feeds them.....lol

The nature of online gaming .....everyone here has had a 'not tonight' moment and adding chat level controls to mute tiers instead of all or nothing......might help....just a thought
  19. You can do /p if you want to know if a person is banned or muted or not, I think that is enough. :)
    weeh likes this.