[Suggestion] Global mute/ban announcements

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by HazardousCode, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Mutes don't show in /p, last time I checked. :confused:
    KatydidBuild, CardInAction and 607 like this.
  2. Ah, good to know. It'd be nice if they did, I think. I can imagine wondering what happened if someone suddenly stops talking and responding to pm's. ;) A broadcast shouldn't be necessary, in my opinion; just draws unnecessary attention to it. But if someone would like to know they should be able to figure out, I think, to resolve ambiguity (although I can also imagine an argument that ambiguity is good).
  3. So I'm hearing we don't want punishments to be humiliation, and we don't want punishments to be glorified... which is it? Besides, if it's glorifying for the player somehow, who cares? By publicly announcing the punishment, you're providing satisfaction to the players online. I'm sure even staff have felt satisfaction from the removal or muting of a troublesome player. I would assume that would be more valuable than the chance that the punished player enjoys it.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  4. Extendingskys, you seem to forget that we have some people who play on EMC who like to speak about incidents and keep a certain level of drama around. That's not beneficial for a healthy community. That's why mods try to switch the topic off of what just happened after a player has just been kicked/banned. There's much more positive to talk about Minecraft than the negative things that some troublemakers decide to do. :)
  5. That's true, but for probably 99% of the cases here it's someone who just joined and decided to use foul language or say questionable things, or spam chat. In the case of established players being punished, I can understand the drama generation, however those are more rare and I don't think it's right making the decision based on the vast minority of cases.
  6. Not necessarily, it makes it much easier on staff because if kicks and bans were global, now they'd have to go to every SMP and tell everyone to move on from what just happened, rather than how the system is currently: They just tell those those are in the current SMP where the ban/kick took place, because the messages are localized to the server, instead of being broadcast for all to see regardless of what server you're on.. (I've actually been on EMC where multiple mutes/kicks/bans took place before.)
  7. This is not relevant to this thread or suggestion. Please make your own :)
  8. I think it might be relevant to discuss self muting feeds or aggrovates the troll....and as i see it we are talking basically about keeping the good emc players shielded from troll behaviors after the trolls are muted before they are banned from play right?

feel free to remove my posts from the thread im not trying to step your toes hazardous.....just stating that TWO problems might share a singular fix.

Fact is EMC is gonna have trolls and people pushing the limits.....after all isnt it the regular Good Rule abiding players and younger kids the ones we are trying to protect from the inappropriate chat? .....without having to mute every player individually?.... or mute global chat completely?

if there are chat controls i am unaware of please advise

it is a two pronged problem some stuff is just simply gonna get thru
  9. I have to be honest and say publicizing the bans server wide is something that would be not necessary. I don't see this happening anytime soon. -2 for me
    Bunjimon likes this.
  10. For the purposes of this thread, we are only talking about mutes as in when staff determines a player is chatting inappropriately and prevents them from speaking during a set amount of time. You are referring to hiding your own access to chat. Two different issues.
  11. I don't understand what you're saying about staff having to server hop. There's global chat. What are you describing?
  12. Not everyone uses community chat however. ;)
  13. they're similar issues, both having to due with chat, perhaps different circumstances, however, still relevant
    QuantumBeane and Bunjimon like this.