Speedrunning Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jewel_king, Sep 2, 2020.

?

Do you like speedrunning?

Yes! 18 vote(s) 50.0%
No! 2 vote(s) 5.6%
Only to watch 16 vote(s) 44.4%
  1. I just did a run (MP4 is currently converting in HandBrake). I had no idea this was already set up in this thread, so I have one recommended change. I think the timer should start once you hit the gold plate (what I did) because that would officially be the start of the event. Clearing inventories is leftover from previous attempts (and also can vary depending on how many items you last had). The gold plate is what I used to mark the beginning in all of my runs (including the one I'm currently converting) and I'd just imagine it works so much better than the trashing-items route
    607 and khixan like this.
  2. Still a lot of room to improve my time, but alas. Until jewel_king inevitably tops it, here is the current record (to my knowledge):
  3. Wow I never thought to get the trident from the button and just skip fishing altogether. Good job!
  4. I left you a comment on your video~

"Water Plashes" --- I wonder if that's a spelling mistake or if that is an accurate translation? Sorry, it just grabbed my attention when I was watching the video haha

Nevertheless, this is quite impressive my guy, I'm jealous with how quick you got through the chambers. :D
    607, khixan and naMrorriM like this.
  5. Thank you! The "Water Plashes" is probably because I use Shakespearean English for the memes
    607, Joy_the_Miner and naMrorriM like this.
  6. I noticed that too, also "Somethiing swims". I do think those are probably spelling mistakes? o.(o)

I heard about the fishing thing! Can someone explain? :)
  7. not used to that RNG factor in runs lol
  8. Wow, good job Jewel_King!

I'm surprised that you found the staircase faster than to simply fish out by the giant octopus build. :eek:
  9. As always, I'm extremely impressed by the speedruns of this event. Crazy, crazy times you people manage to get.
    Because some people were getting so unlucky with not catching pufferfish, we increased the odds of catching them by a LOT... however, that only applies in the fishing area among the "sewers." Thus, taking the extra time to do the mazes is on average likely to save you a lot of time because you'll waste much, much less time catching a pufferfish.

While you could speedrun a ton of times until you eventually did catch a puffer at the squidbeast first try, when talking about long-term averages after many tries, the odds are just so much better underground that the stairs can be expected to yield a shorter time.
    607, DaybreakerMC and jewel_king like this.
  10. It's funny you say that Hash, because I never completed the event by going down the stairs. I only realized that I didn't go down them after I had gotten the reward trident. I made sure to check it out on my alt. I was glad that I didn't go down there because I was able to do the same fishing on the surface. That maze was just not worth it, for me at least.
  11. This is the route I took before learning about skipping the fishing rod. I will try that next.

Edit: is it no longer possible to skip the fishing rod?
    Edit 2: Ok I saw Hash's fix in the main event thread, I think this sink in the lab has the increased Puffer odds. Hope this little trick sneaks by any future updates :p also I believe that means mine is WR for now?
    607 and UltiPig like this.

12. I suppose I'll put this here.

Edit: Better time.

I forgot to hit the stop button on my timer, this screenshot shows the time I actually hit the sign (which im counting as the end of the run).
  13. Nice job Alice! :D
  14. finally happy with this 2:08. Messed up a trident throw so still a bit of time to improve!

Faster than pigstep :cool:
    CranberRhySauce and DaybreakerMC like this.
  15. A world record was achieved in Super Mario Bros. yesterday!

This is crazy. Getting incredibly close to the TAS world record! :confused: (which is 04:54.032)
    Rhycicles, naMrorriM and jewel_king like this.
  16. Just the trident part for fun :)
  17. It's like an IL. :D
  18. guessing IL means something like individual level?
    607 likes this.
  19. An hour and 8 minutes of parkour.. I would have to take a nap after that
  20. Yup, exactly. I'm not sure how popular IL runs are, but I personally like them as a means for showing off strategies that are too hard or inconsistent to use in full runs. Of course, if the run gets optimised for long enough, eventually the strategies will also be implemented into full runs.