Rules Reminder: PvP/UHC and Illegal Mods

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Always more to the story than players involved give out. Can't trust someone words if they are only state their side to make themselves look innocent. I've seen it many times before but both parties know what really happened which matters in the end.
  2. A rise out of someone? I do it just do play around, my few friends on this server find it funny.
    I'm sorry, but what? I'm a little confused on the meaning of this, could you restate this for my understanding please?
  3. It has always been this way so I don't know where the wires got crossed.

In the past, before more advanced logs, self-confession used to be the only way to catch greifers in the wild. If you state you broke the rules, we're not going to fight you on it. You admit to your bff on the server that you stole 52 diamonds from a chest in the wild and they report it? Those logs of you saying that ARE the evidence. A non-coerced confession is final.
  4. Contribution team/staff, this should be added to the rules section to avoid further confusion
    We3_Nub, AverageWalrus and ShelLuser like this.
  5. With all due respect... Seriously. But I am going to speak my mind here.

We've been here before, more or less. Every time PvP comes into contact with EMC there seems to be trouble. I lived and remember the last time. And let me make one thing perfectly clear here:

I'm not sorry for those players, I'm not even sorry for EMC as a whole. No, I reserve the right (because I can, duh!) to feel sorry for Chin first and foremost. I've never been to a UHC event, still toying with the idea to ask if I could get a guest invite to write a review, so I don't know what I'm talking about. I did came to know Chin well enough to back up these words: I have no doubt, what so ever, that he's giving this his best. He's a trooper.

So now I am going to step in the footsteps of an example of mine (before he can react himself, lol): my friend Kephras.

Sorry for being negative but.. Once again with all due respect: isn't it time to conclude that PvP and EMC just don't mix? Why can't we leave this with the PvP arena's which we already have? I'll grant you this: the problems lessened. Last time the troubles were a major issue, discomforting enough to start a new suggestion thread for my idea here </hint>. Within that context things got better (no pun intended!).

But seriously.. Drama seems to follow PvP.

I do not want to deny players their joys. Heck, if I wanted to do that I'd be reporting a few events already because those are simply not mine to enjoy. But yeah.. PvP and EMC? You guys even advertise that EMC is "no PvP".

Isn't it fair to say that PvP like this just isn't for EMC?

And once again (because I'm dead serious) with all due respect for Chin. There is no doubt - what so ever - in my mind that he's trying as hard as he can. I'm not shooting this down "just because", let there be no mistake about that. I do not take my comment lightly.
  6. This probably isn't the best place to do it, and if not just delete this and move it to a PM, but recently staff have been thinking we will understand every tiny detail in the rules, specifically the ones that they don't ACTUALLY WRITE in the rules. I, for one, would never have even thought that was breaking rules, and I'm sure most of the other people on UHC didn't know that either. You aren't the first one to do this, a certain SS has done it SEVERAL times in the past. You guys constantly remind us that you're just people, but for once I think I need to remind you WE are just people, not analytical robots that can figure out the tiniest meaning behind everything.
    FoxyRavenger, ILTG, Kyzoy and 7 others like this.
  7. It is already in the rules, but I stated in the OP that I am working on a re-wording.
    We3_Nub, JDHallows and ShelLuser like this.
  8. If I wrote every little thing in the rules it would be pages upon pages, but yes I will be working to make this and some other things crystal clear going forward. It's only been recently that these rules of 4+ years have been bent by players to get away with things.
  9. It's pretty simple: don't do anything that people would misunderstand as breaking the rules. Saying something like "Hey guys I'm cheating!" Is usually a bad idea.
  10. Holy shit. I agree with Sean. It's gonna snow in July.
  11. It is a shame that this had to be mentioned to the community :( I wish people would just not cheat and use illegal mods!
  12. Call me bias or whatever you want, but I feel as if the rules are pretty clear and concise. I mean it's not only the rules but a mix of common sense. If you KNOW that mods are illegal on EMC, then where would someone get the idea that they are okay to use on an event being hosted by an EMC staff member (even on their own server that they pay for) and is being promoted on the website? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Granted maybe some people don't understand the rules fully, which Krysyy said is being worked on, but you gotta have some common sense about them too. If you feel like you may get in trouble for using something, your best bet is to just not use it, until you ask and get a definite yes or no.
  13. Where is the part about self confession being disallowed? Throughout my time on EMC I have read the full rules (including all sub-pages) dozens of times, including right before I was false banned, and it has never been said in the rules that joking about hacking is not allowed. If I actually knew that faking hacks was bannable, I wouldn't have done it in the first place. I am being banned for a very cloudy rule that I, and it would appear by the responses on this thread a majority of the community, was unaware of.

The "rule" you're refrencing to ban me--YOUR staff members have SPECIFICALLY told me that rule is made for and only for people causing drama in the form of flame wars--intentionally or non-intentionally, not for joking about rule breaking. I just... don't understand it.

Part 1 of your thread about illegal mods used in UHC being blanket bannable makes no sense since no items are taken to the SMP servers.

Part 3 also makes no sense because simply saying that oneself hacks causes no drama in the community. At MOST, the player is opening themselves to slandering or harassment from players, but it is by no means a community issue.
    benthebobjr and Dr_Chocolate like this.
  14. It DOES say that negatively trolling is not allowed.
    It DOES say that causing public drama is not allowed.

If you use illegal mods ANYWHERE across EMC then you are punished the same way. If you are caught cheating in one place, you likely cheated in the other. Don't cheat and we won't have an issue. It's very simple.

If you publicly yell in chat that you use illegal mods, about 5+ reports are going to fly in. As soon as one report is received, it's no longer a joke. Players don't want to play with cheaters and they won't pause to ask if you're joking. They'll jump straight to getting staff's attention. Doing this specifically to get a rise out of people is the very definition of public drama.

Self-confessions have been and always will be treated as evidence. Hasn't changed in 4+ years...
  15. Let me see if I understand this rule correctly: If you openly and willingly state that you have broken any rule, you are now punishable by the extent of that rule.

The example being used in this thread, is claiming that you are using illegal mods but then stating after you got your laugh, or you are suddenly in serious trouble, that it was "all just a joke."

Now, it seems some people are having an issue with this, which can be understandable. Everyone has a different sense of humor. However, this 'rule' actually exists in the real world (or at least in the US), and in my opinion is common sense.

If you are in a public place, and you scream out that there is a bomb, or that there is a fire, but it was just a 'joke,' you are very severely punished. You not only have purposely caused distressed for others in that area, but you have wasted the time and money of any firefighters, bomb squads, swat teams, and police that must show up whenever this situation occurs.

The same goes for EMC. If you state in chat that you are breaking a rule, especially one as serious as using illegal mods, you will be punished in a similar manner. This is because:
    1. You have caused public distress and drama, which is against EMC rules
    2. You have wasted the time of any staff members that must respond to any report
    3. This is considered a form of trolling, which is against the rules on EMC
    Lastly, your word is binding, both in life and on EMC. Every time you say something, it is recorded on the EMC chat logs. So, if you state you have broken a rule, even if you were joking, and it was reported, then staff now have proof that you have done the said deed.
    While Kryssy and others have stated this very clearly in this thread, and it also seems like common sense to me, I still felt it was necessary to give my input on the subject. The staff have nothing but our best intentions in mind, and I am certain that they do not enjoy banning people. However, the rules are there for a reason, and if you break them, whether you found some 'loophole' or not, you will be punished.
    Kryssy and the rest of staff, you have my full support for all of these decisions and I hope the best for all of you! Thank you for your hard work and dedication to this server, it is one of the biggest reasons why it is so great!
  16. That is a great example!
  17. I've been saying for a bit that the UHC be changed to just a player-run event and not an official event. I am even more bothered that his UHC is becoming even more official with the items he has been able to get into EMC (I am sure with the head honchos' permission).

I just give up as far as this goes. I have complained and the most I got for response has been "Since the event is run by staff, it is official."
    ILTG, ShelLuser and SoulPunisher like this.
  18. Actually, even player ran EMC related events hosted off-server are subjected to EMC rules. This is very clearly stated in the rules, because in order for an EMC related event to be hosted off-server a staff member has to be present.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  19. Can you explain why I have been banned a few days ago for what I have done for months? Can you explain why, when people say they're going to grief, a senior mod logs on and does NOT ban them, and instead waits for them to actually break a rule before banning them?

While you said it has been a rule forever, it was not stated in the rules nor has it been enforced once, on me or on other people. Can you explain why this ONE TIME is different than the past?
  20. Okay? What is your point?