Quarantine Creations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sachrock, Apr 13, 2020.

1. I also made a table :)

Also not too long until I am done with my second year of Uni which is fun!!
  2. I made a few things in SP creative while I attended my "critical thinking for the artist" classes on zoom:

And here's a map of my singleplayer creative world:
  3. Wow, that's very cool! Why are their air spaces between the sail and its threads?
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  4. Woah, that is really impressive! Keep up the great work!
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.
  5. I wanted to make it look like the sail was threaded on instead of it just looking completely solid
    Stnywitness and 607 like this.
  6. Little bump in case anyone has done something new!

I've become a film robot watching up to two movies a day and sometimes three! :p
    607 likes this.
  7. When I knew I would be at my parental home for a while, I decided I would make my next composition on a real Atari ST. But first I had quite some study-related efforts, and then some smaller projects I wanted to finish, so I finally booted the Atari and started work last Sunday. But then last Thursday I went to my own home again, for the first time since March. :p I will probably continue working on the composition when I'm back in Heerenveen at my parental home, but it will probably be hot in the attic where the Atari is located! I might work on an emulator on my laptop most of the time and copy my work to a diskette to listen to it on the real hardware periodically, I'm not sure yet.
    If you're interested, here's a sneak peek containing bits of 5 parts of the song! It's going to be a long epic boss theme. :cool:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mrQAjVvl7dFXNdKEBBQsRKnMZhNrj0ou/view?usp=sharing

8. Oh man, your choice of dark wood was great. I would love to have this in my room right now for my setup! :D

(How much is it estimated that this table could hold anyways?)
    Sachrock likes this.
  9. I'll be sure to ship it to you within 3-5 working days :p

I just gave this a listen and I really like it! Keep it up
    607 likes this.

10. Milo sent me a tiktok that was like this and of course I had to put my one-armed OC in there
    I love the first panel but the second panel looks off and I think it's because his head is too dang big
    also I'm strugglebussin when it comes to comical faces.
  11. So I started playing a lot more piano... :p

I have been working on this piece for quite a while. (I stopped twice, learned two pieces in between it.)
    It starts simple, but slowly grows larger and larger, more and more difficult. (visibly so at 2:22) As concert pianist Valentina Lisitsa writes:

"Under the façade of the lush , long-lined melody, "orchestrated" on the piano as if played by 100 cellos -- under this typical Romantic façade, there is incredible pain and suffering. As the movement progresses, other layers heap on -- until the melody is drowned, submerged by ever increasing ringing of bells, menacing funeral bells that rise to a deafening level and destroy all the melody until only two notes, incessantly repeated as a moan of some wounded creature, remain. And then, like in horror movies, the nightmare suddenly ends and the beautiful melody returns just like nothing happened, or is it? The bells are now the part of this melody and we realize -- they always were there, those bells, from the very beginning."

When I posted here is just the first recording I made after I felt like I was finished with it; there is still a lot of room for improvement, apart from the few wrong notes, and the strange things I did with the tempo at some places (2:50 to 3:03 is way too fast, the opening is a bit slow here and there,) I feel like my right hand has way too much tension in the opening, and my hand position is a bid odd... I usually just need to play it once every day for a week or so to get the rough edges of what is basically a freshly learned piece. That is also the point at which it starts sounding more like an interpretation and less like somsone just pressing down some keys, which I feel like this is in places...
    (Also, it is recorded with the microphone of a 2012 Nokia phone; the audio isn't amazing, which is even more noticeable with the dynamic range of this piece...)
    (For those curious: The sheets on the stand are the last two pages of this piece, from 3:36 onwards)
  12. I'll watch the video later, but um, did you reverse time? :p
    I've been considering buying a Zoom H1n. It's very affordable for a microphone. I'm not sure if I'll get enough use out of it though, as there's a chance I'll give up on acoustic and switch to digital piano at some point, so I don't have to worry about the instrument having issues.
  13. Corrected that... (2:50 to 3:03)

My instrument, a Clavinova (litt. New paino, a premium brand of yamaha,) sounds way better when the speakers are recorded than when it is done via midi, maybe parutally because it's from the 1990s.
    When have properly finished the piece, I'll probably post a better recording somewhere, using a mike that is a bit better at piano stuff, placed at a location the speakers are facing.
    Recording yourself playing is quite important, not just to show off. My mother (who was a piano teacher) always said you need to spent half of the time you're learning a piece listening to recordings of you playing it, and I have heard Josh Wright (a concert pianist who posts masterclasses piano on youtube) say the same. I would quite recommend to get a cheap mike with which you can replay your own recordings back to youself, especially if you're actually trying to get the dynamics and emotion right *ahum* :p
  14. Um, the opposite would be more likely. :p How MIDI sounds entirely depends on what you do with it. The audio output is fixed, and depends on the piano. I will record from my digital piano the day after tomorrow, but mine is fairly new. I don't like using MIDI as I don't feel like spending the time to make it sound good, and moreover because I could easily tweak mistakes and I don't want to do that. So I'll be using line-in to record the audio output. :)
    I have been, and that's exactly why I want to get a proper microphone. :p Cheap microphones don't sound good enough, and our expensive camera has automatic volume control that cannot be disabled, frustratingly.
    Sachrock likes this.
  15. This is really cool! Keep up the art
    Whoa this is really good! I would love to see what you do in the future. I also started playing a tiny bit of piano but how I learn is to just drill a piece of music into my brain and keep playing it until I have memorised it. I do need to play more but finding the time is hard even during quarantine as I want to do a lot more different things.

I also agree with recording yourself as it is really good to see your improvement which really helps motivate yourself.
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.
  16. Thanks :)
    I posted quite some things on EMC alredey, actually. I did this thing here quite a long time ago: https://empireminecraft.com/threads...al-music-preformed-on-piano-by-jelle68.79739/ I decited to post transtcriptoins I had been making of modern classical pieces (of which I only had a recording, no sheep music or anything like that,) as I had been talking about that project quite frequently.

After that, I also posted this as a joke on the show yourself thread in october. I re-aranged one of my favourite pieces to play: Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor, to be more halloween-like.

Also: fun fact: most people seem to think, by watching and listening, that this is the most difficult piece in my repotoire... It really isn't, it just sounds really difficult, even though everything Prokofiev has ever written is more technical to an absurd degree...

I might post some more interpretations of pieces in the futute... I wanted to share this one, which I usually don't do to pieces, because I had been talking and thinking about it a lot. (It has a lot of chords for which the right hand needs to grip an octave+2 notes above, which is quite straining; the left hand is absurdly technical in places, even though it looks quite simple; the jumps make just missing an entire passage way to easy; the chords are nonsensecal and difficult to understand; and it, when played well, can have a huge emotional impact.)

I know it would, but that is not true :p

I have, of course, preformed quite a lot and, though preformances are usually on grand piano's, which I will always prefer, not all of them are, and I, by now, know the way electronic instruments are recorded: by recording their own audio output. Some goes for what is done in studeos. Some piano's are made to sound better on MIDI, and cheaper ones, with bad speakers and processing, usually do too, but the top-tier-ish (pianos worth more than an average car) electric pianos are recorded by recording their audio autput through their own speakers.
    That is because, that way, everything is controlled. The piano and the piano sound and the speakers are all designed for echother, to sound good together, meddeling later with midi or something can only match the way it sounds alredey. Aditionally: you are hearing the exact same thing the preformer is hearing when playing, making the intonation and all that a lot better.
    Though your electric piano might not (as you are not, like me, using an inhereted piano from an ex-piano techer,) my instrument definetly sounds better when the speakers are recorded with a proper mike than when you just try to meddle with midi :p
    Sachrock likes this.
  17. I thought I knew where this was going, but I totally didn't! Recording a digital piano's audio output with an external microphone, from its speakers! O_O I am very surprised to hear that that's a thing. :p You do make a point though, that if the performer (or audience) does not wear headphones, he will hear the sound differently, and an external microphone would come closer to the same sound than recording the audio directly. Another reason could be wanting to capture the sound of the piano keys, but I would be surprised if anyone desired to do that, except if it was for a digital piano review. :p
    I doubt the likelihood of your piano sounding better than mine, simply because I feel like technology has advanced so rapidly over the past decades. I could very well be wrong, though! Personally I've only used low-end and mid-range digital pianos from the 20th century (which sound way worse than similarly prized digital pianos that are made now), and I've also only once used a state of the art digital piano.

Edit: I'm going to listen to the performance now. :)
    Sachrock and Egeau like this.
  18. I've been told before that you've never watched enough movies so I thought I would try and fix that. I was given this poster(below) to me on my 18th Birthday and thought that I would fill it out as I go along, however, I only ticked a few off throughout the years.

On the 26th April, I thought to give myself a challenge and watch a least one movie a day on that list, so I did it, well sort of, at the start I watched one film a day but then I got carried away and ended up watching two or three films a day. The list was an amazing way for me to break out of my comfort zone as I would never choose to watch half the movies on it, and by forcing myself to watch it brought me to a whole new world of cinema which I thoroughly enjoy!

I ended up watching 68 films over the course of 54 days and it was a blast!
    I encourage everyone to try this, well not to the same extent as me but try breaking your comfort zone in any way, as you never know you might just find something amazing.

Impulsive_Egg and MoreMoople like this.
  19. The poster is not showing and that might just be my doodoo internet connection
    HOWEVER
    Were any of those movies Pleasantville (1998), with Toby Maguire and Reese Witherspoon? And if not, I dare you to watch that film because it's absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately I don't know where you can watch it atm but I'm sure you have your methods.
    Sachrock likes this.
  20. Nope, I think we aren't allowed to see it. :p My guess is that it was copied from a private Google Hangouts conversation, but that could be totally wrong (in fact, I'm not even sure whether strangers cannot access those by links; you definitely can access Discord images sent privately by others to others).

When I was with my family for multiple months, we watched a film almost every weekend. :) That might not sound like a lot, but normally I watch maybe 7-10 films a year, so it was a big contribution. ;)
    Impulsive_Egg and Sachrock like this.