*PSA* Warning to Internet Explorer users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Apr 28, 2014.

1. The hack is a problem within IE, not XP. There are an infinite number of possible issues that could come from this IE issue that could affect XP users, not just one. XP users were warned years ago that they would not be getting support anymore, they have had plenty of time to upgrade or make sure that the programs they use are safe (like Chrome, and not IE).
    Equinox_Boss and Ark_Warrior1 like this.
  2. My netbook is an Acer from 2007 (somehow still going strong), that hasn't got the drivespace or RAM for a proper upgrade even if I wanted to do so. I imagine there are other XP devices out there that fall into the same category of "upgrade not feasible," for one reason or another. That being said, I wouldn't expect Microsoft to support XP indefinitely, but fixing a major security flaw in their software should warrant an update.

Then again, I use Firefox and AVG on it as well, so it's something of a non-issue for me.
    607, Equinox_Boss and Jake_bagby like this.
  3. Thanks for the heads up, I'll tell everyone i know.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. But it is not an XP issue, it is an IE issue that I suspect they will be pushing a fix to the last six versions of it.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. I haven't used Internet Explorer for a very very long time. I was using chrome, now I may move on to Firefox. ;)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Oh I realize that. I was just echoing support for wisepn's sentiment that a flaw like this ought to be pushed to every OS where affected IE versions are running.
    From the sounds of the article, a patch for XP-based IE systems won't be available at all - rather, they're encouraging people to use the "Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit" (EMET) as a band-aid for affected IE clients. At least until Microsoft stops supporting that too.
    Equinox_Boss and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. Actually, I did once cause I didn't feel like getting off the couch, it sucked though :p

The only problem I have with IE is that we have to use it at our school, but all of our teachers use chrome :mad:
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Huh. I was under the assumption that IE used the same kind of update method as Chrome does (just close the browser and start it up again).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. For the most part, but I think bigger ones are delivered through Windows Update.
  10. I am proud to know little to nothing about how IE works/functions lol.
    Equinox_Boss and princebee like this.
  11. I used ie11 for a while and although ie has gotten better, it isn't at the same level as other browsers.
    I really like chrome now mainly because I can install chrome beta and get the a chrome os like experience in windows 8 for browsing. Chrome also syncs with everything so that is nice too.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. I wish I could use firefox - But my parents discourage me from using it because the new CEO supports gays / the old CEO was kicked out because he supported straight marriage.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. what the hell
    Equinox_Boss and Jake_bagby like this.
  14. Thanks for the warning.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. Am I the only person in the world who uses Internet Explorer?
    Equinox_Boss and Jake_bagby like this.
  16. Well, that doesn't exactly tell the whole story... The old CEO (or whatever position he held, lets just assume CEO) had donated towards an effort to ban gay marriage. There was widespread disapproval of this decision, both in the company and throughout the internet (several sites told Firefox users that they should support a better company). After getting hit with that, Firefox let him go so that they wouldn't hold such a bad image (they now are getting called a company that doesn't support free speech). I wouldn't say that the new CEO supports gay marriage, it is just that the old one made a public gesture against it.
    Equinox_Boss and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. Yes.
  18. yay... :/
    Equinox_Boss and PandasEatRamen like this.
  19. Um....
    I'm not that one guy who totally uses IE...
    Totally...
    Equinox_Boss and princebee like this.