Possible New Vault Goal!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IcecreamCow, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Should those who earn their 100th vault page be rewarded with it being a wild accessible page?

Yes. 215 vote(s) 70.7%
No. 89 vote(s) 29.3%
  1. This is why we are not "set" on this idea -- As I mentioned in a previous post, we could never think of a way to give fair rights to use a vault in the wild, but a player suggested this idea...

It made us think that it MIGHT work... so we're asking the players.

Numerous points are brought up, and theres now different ideas on how to reward players.

I think having it not be cross server is a winning idea if it does go this route sort of.. So that leads us to other paths.

Another potential idea to expand on this is instead of a vault page accessible in the wild, we could have another expensive perk to purchase (and not even make this diamond only) that makes Ender Chest double sized, or even paged...

That would be a better way to handle keeping it non cross-server.

This thread is purely for feedback, NOTHING related to this is even considered close to the back log yet...

We would potentially make a new thread with the more agreed better plan (which id imagine the enderchest idea would likely win out) to get a vote specifically on that.
  2. And that reminds me.
    What of the enderhest update that was also discussed?
    Is this replacing that? Or maybe merge the two?
  3. I guess I'm the confused one. I find the idea that I should be warned so strongly against doing something that is within the rules because someone else breaks the rules to be contradictory.

As you've demonstrated above, I never hear that it's not ok to grief without the disclaimer that I build in the Wild at my own risk.

In real life, I can take precautions to protect my house from robbery, but I'll have to leave eventually to work or shop. If someone breaks into my house, I wouldn't expect you to tell me that I shouldn't have built the house in the first place.

We've all seen plenty of forum threads where it seems like the victim is being blamed for doing something that is such an integral part of Minecraft.

I'm sorry. I'm just anxious to see it implimented. The prerequisite of the egg is arbitrary, but I can understand the reluctance to change something that's already been announced. I feel like sometimes I spend more of my time hiding things and dealing with trouble makers than I do building.

I'm not expecting quick "hacks" like Aikar suggested in his post. It just looks like our priorities are different.
  4. If you check the calculation, you have to make 1,400-2,000 mining sessions (filling ender chest and inventory) to cover the 1M cost. If you collect stuff of average worth of 2,500r per session, it means that you make between 3.5M and 5M rupees in the process. before that, you need to absolve 400 mining sessions to make 1M for the investment. Or you go to the web page and buy rupees for real money ... you already know my opinion on that ... and otherwise, all rupees that are there were free rupees originally ... let's not complicate things now more than necessary ;)

So, with costs of 1M initially and then perhaps 500r to open it, it wouldn't be that powerful and it would only make sense if you really like mining and collecting stuff.
    (like me :))
  5. I would just like to point out that, I agree these threads happen, however that stance is 100% against staff opinion. So, though you may see some people blaming the one who got griefed, the staff is working their hardest to find out who did it and take care of them. :)
    cnquast, PandasEatRamen and Pab10S like this.
  6. I can see what you're saying. We warn you (and responsible players like you) because that's what we can do. It's a deterrent to build out there - even though its part of the single player experience. We want you to realize that griefing can happen. It's not ever your fault, but it's a warning that it's possible.

Yes, its in the rules, and stated in the tutorial not to grief, but that doesn't stop a small percentage of players from doing it anyway. There's probably always going to be griefers out there (we have new ones joining everyday).

So that leaves us with telling the players that choose to build in the wild that it's dangerous. That there's a chance a griefer will join and find them, and while we can surely catch them after the fact, we can't stop them from doing it.

That is - until the wild update :)
    Pab10S likes this.
  7. I mean the area just outside of PRA.
    People could buy it with obligation to make and keep acceptable appearance. Or something like that.
    Or get paid by the community to clean up the mess :) - I did that several times for free, as my contribution to the community.
  8. That Idea, I LOVE! :D
  9. Oh absolutely - this is the debate / discussion / fight stage to work the idea out.

If you made the Vault single server, then it's probably better just creating a DC EnderChest - whichever is easier.

Lets be frank about it - Wild Vault will give an unfair edge regardless how you play it, unless it's single server access, in which case, as mentioned, Enderchest is the better option.

Even if everyone could buy it at 1,000,000r - that still puts it out of the reach of ordinary players, thus still creating that unbalanced few, if you like, who can afford it.

It also then removes any point to it as no doubt it was initially contrived to gain more Diamond supporters.

Create a DC Enderchest, make it available to only Gold or Diamond (Not Iron, it's been stated a hundred times it's the base package primarily for the /map hide function) and make it pricey, an EMC shop-only purchase.
  10. I think 1 mil rupee for a wild vault is a fair price. Tho as a vanilla player, the ability to access a safe vault anywhere in wild sorta lessen the survival/inventory management aspect.

Some random idea: Perhaps the wild vault should only be accessed in claimed lands. The owner of the land need to purchase the wild vault access upgrade (More rupee sink!:eek:), and that owner can choose whether he/she can give the wild vault access to any passerby or certain individuals within the territory. That way, I think that will make claimed land more in-depth (Claimed land will not only become a protected area, but it will serve as strategic location for people that uses wild vault for profit purpose)
    AlexChance and kilmannan like this.
  11. I like that idea Alex. Once you've bought your land, you buy Vault rights for it. Starting price is if it's just for you. The premium price is if you want Vault rights for everyone you assign as a Villager.
    AlexChance likes this.
  12. Please refer to this post for a change in the Revamped Vault update from yesterday brought on by some discussions in this thread. :)
  13. /map hide is a long time evil enemy of mine... I want free players to feel like they can play in the wild too w/o worry of risk, and limiting that to supporters only is not ideal)

My goal is to eventially make that not the primary Iron perk, as my plans for the livemap will reduce its "need" as you are aware of them.

We will likely be back at full capacity on the servers, so the reserved slot can come back into play eventually... But I think we will eventually be at a 100 player cap.

One of the main reasons for 60 players was to control town chat, but with more wild game play encouraged, things will balance out there.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  14. I know, and I'm waiting like a rabid dog for it because it's the one thing that's stopping me from going into the Nether in my Wild Village, as it'd just be a big screaming marker as to where it was. :D
    margaritte likes this.
  15. Proportional is the word I was thinking last night.

I usually keep emergency supplies in my vault so that if I need supplies unexpectedly I can just grab them if I am in Town.

I could see me having redstone supplies in a Vault page so if I'm working on a friend's residence, I don't have to pop back and forth between my residence and theirs.

I might temporarily use a page to load up on auction items, or maybe blocks for a big build I'm working on so I don't have to stop and get more.

I can't imagine having a use for more than ten pages and even that is a stretch.

Edit: I just read Aikar's post about infinite pages for Diamond. That I can understand. 100 is pretty much infinite in this context.
  16. I think the way to look at it, is that 100 pages for Diamond, isn't a big deal. What does it matter? 8 or 100, you've still got plenty of space.

It's just given Diamond that harmless edge to encourage people to upgrade.

I don't see it as something for folk to get excited about, it's not affecting anything other than saving a Diamond player some time.
  17. I like this part :), but in all honesty it does not make any differance where you are you still got to do the work, mine the minerals, get the wither's, grind the grinder, "afk" the iron farm <- oops who said that,:D. The easy part now for all this hard work will be, that it will become easier to transport goods and matirials back to town. But you will still have to deal with the mobs, the mining the grinding etc, you also have to travel out there and set up camp. All that still takes time and effort.
  18. If the cost is carefully adjusted, you wouldn't have unfair privilege in-game, but you would have a choice whether to spend more time on travel, or invest in a railway system or buy a magic chest, i.e. ender chest expansion.

if it would be ender chest expansion and not cross-servers, then the initial cost wouldn't have to be that high if there would be a fee each time you open it - but then you would need a way to choose if you want to open the normal ender chest or the expansion.
    It is not out of reach of normal players to earn 1M. It's just about 400 average mining sessions, and less than 180 if you concentrate on most wanted stuff like sandstone :)

Diamond supporters get about 40k free rupees per month. If there are not enough people who collect stuff and are willing to sell it to the supporters, then the free rupees are not worth much.
    So the people who mine and sell stuff are supporters together with the colored ones :)

What I want to say is, that it is a good idea that perks can be bought with rupees. So someone who has collected stuff for hours on end and has sold it to people who got free rupees can get something in return and share that supporter features.

While the whole construction with free rupees is very problematic, I think this could alleviate a set of related problems.

Perhaps you can see it like this: Supporter works 1 hour IRL, covers a part of the cost of the game and gets 10k rupees. Non-supporter collects stuff for 3 hours (about 3.3k rupees per hour) in MC and gives (sells) it to the supporter. At this point the two should be equal. The non-supporter has the option to buy the same perks for the rupees she/he has got.
  19. well i mean you can easily run away from mobs i hVe in the past but if im on like 2 hearts i would put all my stuff in a vault the mobs arent very high damage
  20. Run away from the mobs? Into more mobs?
    And at two hearts, they will only need a few hits, particularly once we go up to Normal Mode.