[POLL] What upcoming feature do you desire more?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Which Feature Priority should we go with?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2015.
Dragon Tombs [3], Empires, Land Claiming 194 vote(s) 33.2%
Empires, Dragon Tombs [3], Land Claiming 41 vote(s) 7.0%
Empires, Land Claiming, Dragon Tombs [3] 350 vote(s) 59.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Then go mining :3
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  2. i know. i don't have the tools
  3. This isn't the thread to discuss this. Please talk about this only in-game.
  4. So many players are against wild shops, but are OK with TPing to their claimed land? Anyone see the potential for economic disruption and how TPing will affect us much worse than any wild shops? Just saying.....
    PenguinDJ and Nickblockmaster like this.
  5. no sir, at the moment I can transport over 100dcs worth of stuff from/to my outpost in roughly 8 hours. with teleporting you would have to teleport a dc 100 times. the difference in time would be negligible. using rails for high capacity freight is much more efficient than teleporting 1 dc at a time. unless you include the whole vault thing then you are talking about 1-2 hours moving stuff which is a bit of a difference but again, at that high a capacity, if you are commited to transporting that materials you are talking one day of gameplay vs two days of gameplay. it really isn't going to hurt anything despite the argument. ;-)
  6. Do you really think transport time has anything to do with the economy? If so, please describe exactly what items would be effected. I have over 200 dcs of stone in the wild, and the reason they are still there is simple: its easier to make in town. Faster transport to town will not impact the economy negatively. Your also forgetting that there will be a ton of people looking to expand and build up their outposts. Do you really think all of them will use only materials that they already own? No, most people will need tons of new supplies to build their outposts, and theres only one place to buy something that you need: town. The teleport feature will boost the economy rather than hinder it. Besides, i have 15,dcs of slime blocks in the wild right now. My travel time is only 5 minutes. The reason they are still in the wild is simple: i dont want to crash the market. Any good producer will do the same thing, regardless of the time it takes to sell things:)
  7. Teleporting from wild to town. I say a BIG no ! It pulling some parts of the wilderness away under your avatar.
    Optional, teleporting to Wasteland, with no option to teleport to town from there could be solution.

But never wilderness to town = shops. It make things to easy. Anyway, if you have wilderness and waste. why do you need town ? If you can have shops in wild. problem is only that lot's of people ruin landscape.
  8. I'm going to try not to go too in depth with this but a lot of the arguments against having shops in the frontier are lacking in substance.

1. having shops readily available to all. -this is a no brainer. of course you are going to reach more customers if you have your shop in town versus somewhere where not everyone is going to frequent. Having a shop out in the wild or hidden could be a cool idea and having the shop only available to your own empire members for discounted pricing would be nice as well. Having to manually do those transactions "just because" doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. town is for economy. well yeah, and allowing frontier shops wouldn't stifle that at all. if someone thought they were going to reach a huge customer base by making a shop in ANY frontier or outpost they would be very sorely mistaken.

3. Division of economy. well I think I pretty well covered that already

4. wild players wouldn't come to town. I HIGHLY doubt that there would be one person whose play habits would be changed by such a minor adjustment. I don't see anyone going around to every outpost, the ones that are known, and setting up a shop so that said wild player wouldn't have to come all the way back to town(uh, via teleport?) to get a saddle(one of the few things besides discontinued special items I can think of that can't be obtained more or less renew-ably from wild already)

Edit: those that are opposed to outpost teleporting to town, im pretty sure you are fighting a losing battle. Almost everyone wants this to happen and there isn't a whole lot of argument behind not having it. It's also pretty much been set for years now(from my understanding) that it will happen and I would be very impressed and disappointed if it didn't happen.
    M4ster_M1ner and Markethan13 like this.
  9. I'm not sure I like the idea of teleporting between Town and Frontier areas. Not because it would impact economy in any way - Gawadrolt nailed it down already how little economical impact it would have.

But teleporting means that distance doesn't matter. Part of the Frontier experience IMHO is that one has to travel to reach a point. Going through other places, finding previously unknown spots while walking towards your destination. It also means you have to plan building roads and rails to reach your settlement. And finally, it forces you in a way or another to think about what to take to/from town from/to your settlement - you wouldn't want to go back and forth everyday if the travel took half an hour everytime.

Allow teleporting, and that element of effort disappears. Frontier settlements become little more than extensions of residences, a kind of extra room with a little more mobs and a broader borders.

Also, Markethan13 points at what I'd consider a major issue with it - it will make it trivial for people to buy tons of stuff to build a faraway settlement. So in no time, building in the wild will mostly be about making money and trading. I don't like that idea at all. One of the main reason why I had made an outpost in the wild was because there, you have to roll up your sleeves, get most of the material by yourself, and slowly build up your own supply chains, without relying on money to get it done the easy way.

What I would have liked to see, however, would be "Portals to the Waste". That is, one can build portals connecting the Waste and the Frontier just like the Nether is connected with the regular world. This would allow players to have access to raw materials without having to mine the landscape around them, and without having to trade or go back and forth to town to reach the Waste and mine. This would make the Waste much more useful for Frontier builders, and just not only to town residents.

Maybe portals from different places in the Frontier would be ok, but with restrictions, likely based on distance. Maybe there would be need to constantly supply them with material to keep them alive, with a cost increasing as the square of the distance. This would mean fast travel would be possible, albeit not freely, and not completely based off money and trade.

But again, just random ideas...
  10. If teleporting to town is allowed (Aikar has said many times it would be), shops in the frontier are pointless. Teleportation will NOT have an adverse impact on the economy. It is simple. If an item is only farmable in the wild, like bones or gunpowder, they may drop in price a bit. But bones are still highly used, so price will not drop much. Transportation time has very little if any impact on the price of items on emc.
    To all of you who claim teleportation will hurt the town economy, please post concrete examples(actual items that will be effected) , because those of us who dissagree may have missed some piece of this whole debate:)
  11. I just wanted DT to be to be almost finished :( I don't use the frontier very much so for me this is pointless...
  12. Please read the original discussion at http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...for-what-is-to-come.35977/page-13#post-704874

In summary - Empires will be new 'outposts' like the official ones.

Someone who currently has an outpost at 3k away from the official outposts has easy travel to and from Town.
    People who are at 20k+ do NOT have easy travel.

These 2 people should not be treated differently.

Without teleporting to your Empire (which btw, this is NOT free teleporting in the Frontier! You can only teleport at your HQ in a specific chunk(or radius of it))

If you venture 3k away from your HQ to go mining, your still walking 3k back to get to your HQ to return those items to town.

This makes everyone have equal exposure to visiting and returning to town. Currently those that are 100k out never return to town... its too much of a hassle.

Teleporting to and from your HQ will happen, there's no budging on that.
    If you don't like it, then don't use it and feel free to walk 100k to return to Town.

But one players desire to not have any form of teleporting outside the current 5(soon 16) outposts in the Frontier is not going to have impact on the others who desperately need it so they can be apart of the Town experience AND Frontier.
  13. Phrasing it this way makes a big difference to me. When I look at it this way I see we will in effect be creating custom Outposts for ourselves and potentially evening out the distance everyone has to travel.

I was mainly worried about removing the travel value of items that come from Frontier farms. Their values will initially fall as people bring in things they've been sitting on because of their value relative to travel distance, but will eventually stabilize as those stored items run out. Definitely something to take note of for those of us who play shopkeeper.
    Markethan13 and Krysyy like this.
  14. As a shop owner, I for one consider this a huge plus. My frontier outpost is 73,000 blocks out from center. It's a 20 minute nether rail trip each time in order to transport just a single DC worth of goods, and that's while also making use of an ender chest as well.

I spent weeks singlehandedly constructing the rail system as well as numerous facilities to help enhance my shop's viability. Why should I have to spend so much more expense and effort moving goods back and forth than someone who joined the server very early on and was able to secure a location much closer in? I'm definitely willing to accept a short term drop in prices for the kind of mobility Aikar wants to implement.

People who want to visit outposts can still use nether rails and other existing traditional transportation routes already constructed while outpost members can teleport directly. So that work was not done in vain. All in all, I think it's going to be a major positive and hopefully encourage more exploration. One of my biggest beefs is that the majority of people seem to spend all their time in town and never venture into the wilderness. What's the fun in that?
    Markethan13 and Pab10S like this.
  15. Not only would it be pointless it would be kinda wrong. Why as a shop keeper would I want to limit my potential customer base to only the members of an outpost when the customers could be the outpost members and everyone else too.
    Markethan13 likes this.
  16. Even the economy wont even change at all.

The wastelands constantly has fresh blocks a mere 300 blocks from the outposts. So we're not adding any new 'easy materials' to the economy than what the Wastelands already provides.

Initially People could mine around their base INSTEAD of the wastelands... but think about it: Right now people who are far out can't reliably USE the wastelands.

So that leaves them locked out of 2+ EMC Features, Everything the Town provides AND the Wastelands.
    Being able to return to town at will then enables you to also use the Wastelands, sell your goods you don't want, buy the goods you need that you rather not spend time personally collecting, then return to your Empire to build.

Then you can leave the area around your Empire fresher and not worry about turning your own Empire into a war zone of mining too, and gives you more exposure to biomes using 9 wastelands outposts vs the area around you.

But on the economy point. the resources are all there, in short distance to the outposts.

there's no shortage of blocks that impact prices. The shortage is on the labor of people who actually take the time to go collect and sell.

So we could add 40 outposts to the wastelands and thats not going to impact prices. prices will change when theres more labor.
  17. Everyone with an outpost of any distance - 3k or 300k out - has the same access to the wastelands: 8 other servers. And same with town: there are 8 other town worlds. Distance isn't usually a limiter when it comes to access to worlds.

Most of the items that enter the economy from outposts aren't from being mined. There are farms: iron, gold, mob, enraged. There's no preventing that. So instant teleportation of dozens of DCs of items would make this travel a lot easier, something which I disagree with.

But if it's final, then it's final, I guess.
    ThaKloned and Nickblockmaster like this.
  18. I was referring more to drops from item/xp farms than to mined blocks. Things people collect primarily in the Frontier rather than the Waste: Bones, Arrows, Blaze Rods, String, Coal, ...

I've got a lot of chests of drops and stopped saving some items a long time ago when I figured I would never be able to use them or would not bother taking them into Town because of the distance. Other items like the sticks from witch farms that I normally trash may be worth bothering with if they do not have to be transported so far.

A trip with something else like Iron could be cut from a half hour to five minutes for me.

It is a change, but I don't think the effect will be as extreme as I originally thought. In light of this, will you be allowing us to send and receive mail outside of Town in the future, or does that go too far?
    M4ster_M1ner likes this.
  19. Completely out of the blue, as a player response only:

I think it would be cool if distance from town would equal more time for it to get to you. So to send it to the wild, it would be 2 days until received, or something random like that.

Again, completely speaking as a player here. I have no idea.
    Hoops_McCann likes this.
  20. I personally think that that would be awesome. :) It might be less convenient, but I like that it is realistic, especially since this is Minecraft and email/Amazon Prime shipping doesn't exist. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.