Player Based Difficulty Released! "Play Your Way"

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Apr 26, 2014.

1. The Fail-not is a legendary bow in Arthurian Legend, that was wielded by Tristan. I gave that name to my strongest bow, a Pow 5, Unb 3, Inf bow. Playing as a ranger is impossible now if it is being done for cross-country farming. As not only does it seem to take 5-6 full pulls on lvl 6 to kill a spider which die in 1 on a full pull crit on lvl 5, but sniping seems to drop nothing, as it seems that the looting system now requires you to be in beat-face range which makes enchanted leather worthless on any level past 5.. :\
  2. That should not be the case. I know we tested bows to make sure mobs were not teleporting during bow combat, but something else could of effected it..

Bows should work fine as long as your not on a pillar where they cant get to you.
  3. So, what really changes when putting the difficulty lower? I mean, when hovering over the harder ones, it says what makes it harder. But what happens when you set it lower than 5?
  4. It gets easier.
  5. Yes, that's obvious >.< But what makes it easier?
  6. you take less damage and deal more damage, and under 3 enraged no longer auto attack.
    607 likes this.
  7. So, I fought/killed a Marlix on level six and literally got NO custom drops, not even diamonds/skulls/shiny arrows. Was this just bad luck? Also, are Enraged Guardians any different from Enraged Skeletons?
  8. Difficulty lvl : 11

Don't try this at home. :D
  9. What's the text at the bottom?
    markethan13 likes this.
  10. some Polish website and text:)
  11. "Ministry of Health warns against kwejk.pl" hehe

By the way, I found out that clicking on player settings with shift, does not enter the submenu, instead 'setting' text is pasted to chat line. I don't know if thats a bug or intended.
  12. That happens because the Difficulty 10 player is causing endermen to automatically go aggressive from long range, and teleport directly to the player (as endermen do when aggro). So they have not taken any fall damage, and hence are on full hps.

So you have full life/hp enderman mixing with 1/2 heart enderman.

The only solution there is to have no player on difficulty 10, then unload and reload the area to despawn the undamaged endermen.
  13. On level 6 weapon enchants aren't working.

On level 5, with a smite 5 sword I can kill a skeleton with 1 hit. it takes 5 on level 6. All the mobs on level 6 take 5 hits to kill regardless of weapon enchant, which is kinda odd. It's the same way with the bows. This would be ok if the rewards matched the difficulty but after playing 3 days on level 6, it's almost as if you're punished for playing on a harder difficulty. The rewards come nowhere close to the increased difficulty.
  14. The higher difficulties are designed to reduce/remove the concept of "god gear".
    While the jump from 5->6 may not seem worth it, this setting was added mainly for the players who want that extra challenge.

While it does seem a little odd for scale here to go from 5 to 6 to change from 1 to 4-5 hits, that is because most of the changes are wrote to not affect anything on difficulty 5, and the 'scale' for 6 is a steeper cliff.

There are some nicer chances for bigger loot pools at higher levels, it is your choice if you want to put up with it.

You're right, its not a 1 to 1 relationship of loot to difficulty, but theres still the fun element of the extra challenge that is part of the reward.
    NZScruffy and jrm531 like this.
  15. Not having to enchant your weapons is a plus. Hopefully the steeper difficulty curve will be balanced out with better token drops.

Thanks.
    607 likes this.
  16. Hunting tokens :

diff 5 night - 0 enraged mobs
    diff 6 night - 1 enraged mob (very far away..)
    diff 7 night - 5 enraged mobs

it their spawn rate connected to difficulty settings ?
  17. no. difficulty setting does not affect spawn rates. pure random.

Although, if you change to difficulty 10, i'm sure that will help you find more. :p
  18. That could be wrong because you will die quicker on 10 and see less mobs so your odds of finding an engaged is lower.
    NZScruffy likes this.
  19. Thx for info, must be random thing then, fyi I didnt die , was hunting all night, lvl 7 is no problem for me with my standard items ;)
  20. So can i ask why everyone has to suffer because a tiny amount of players want a challenge? I dont care about special drop, i dont care about a diffaculty setting. I just want to be able to run around and kill mobs that acctually drop items. Out of the last say 15 enraged i have killed, I barely got even a single drop playing on 5 or 7.
    So is there going to be a toggle for this new difficulty setting or is this for everyone to have to deal with if they continue playing emc?
    Id like to see a toggle function that completely turns off the new system, because it has completely ruined mob drops.