Player Based Difficulty Released! "Play Your Way"

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Please read the question and answer thread for more information:

http://empireminecraft.com/threads/play-your-own-way-die-hard-or-live-in-relative-peace.38708/

Some of the questions asked here have already been answered.

If you want the same as EMC has been, then just don't do anything and you will stay at level 5
    If you want harder, try 7 for a little while and work your way slowly up from there if it's not enough for you.

Going straight to 10 is just foolish. Of course some people will just want to see what it is like, which is fine, but don't be mad when you die because it's way too hard for one person. We told you so! I'm telling you again.

Difficulty settings are not intended to increase loot from mob grinders. Killing mobs in any way other than hand to hand combat will nerf their drops in unpredictable ways. Anyone using a grinder will most likely need to make changes to get back to optimal drops, as lots of adjusting has been done and all of it is geared to 'normal' survival play. I have no doubt you will all find ways to take 'best' advantage of the new settings, but there is no free ride.
  2. Ooo, such a neat birthday present.. :3
    607 likes this.
  3. From 20 green big slimes at difficulty 7 and with looting 3 sword : 4 diamonds, 3 gold ingots, 18 stacks of slime balls, 15 slime heads, almost stack of beef and some bread, torches and arrows. I don't feel difference in killing slimes before update and after, looks like they hit little more (1 heart instead of 0,5)

I got mixed feelings (of this to be nerfed or stay as it is ) :rolleyes: Ofc i prefer new drops hehe :p .
  4. Had a funny moment with an enderman. Another player and I were fighting mobs and I died. I come back and see him. He sees me and starts walking casually back. An enderman teleport a few blocks behind him and kills him. Moral of story, the wilderness will kill you.
    607 and natesam34 like this.
  5. so this is "play your way" unless your way is getting good loot drops from existing mob farms lol
    607 likes this.
  6. I love this :D So much loot!
  7. slime drops nerfed ;)
  8. Vanilla drops are not affected, its bonus loot that EMC has added onto Vanilla thats affected only :)
    wkramer79 likes this.
  9. I just want to say that the *only* reason I was using the mob farm on Utopia was so that I could get some dragon stone fragment deals and after a week or so at the mob farm I managed to get six total. I'm somehow doubting that I'll be able to get some legit without a farm, but I'm gonna try.

Just spent a night outside on smp8 on difficulty level 7 and I never got close to dying but also didn't get much loot even using a Looting III diamond sword. Going to keep experimenting because I want some more fragments. If anyone has advice, I'm all ears!
  10. Fragments are still semi rare, but as we get closer to DT it will be adjusted to ensure there is enough circulating.

Didn't want to overflow the economy with them before they are even usable.
    607 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  11. This work with mob farms?
  12. The darkroom grinder owners win..
  13. Nice update team! Good work and keep the updates Rollin out! :D
  14. I trapped a zombie on difficulty 10 and I hit it and it lunged through the dirt and killed me with one hit :eek:
    RainbowChin likes this.
  15. One big fail for me was when i entered the wastelands at night i was wearing diamond armor I was being chased by a creeper i was walking backward with my bow at him and i feel down the ravein confident i would survive and i Died giving me a rage quit :( i think what would be nice is beyond spawn their is a height limit where players can dig like a staircase or something idk if that was being a noob or what be really what a fail which is way everytime i step in the i come in diamond.
  16. *sets difficulty to 10 at wither skeleton farm*
    *goes to the overworld*
    *finds a Momentus*
    *sets difficulty to 1*
    607 and Choongjae like this.
  17. I don't like how sometimes it'll take more than 1 hit to kill an enderman at a XP farm if I'm on difficulty 1 and a player next to me is on difficulty 10, don't know if it's a bug or my sometimes laggy computer but yup. I know it's not a problem with the XP farm because I used it before this update (which is pretty cool) and it only happens if someone next to me is on difficulty 10.
  18. If you're on difficulty level 10 in town near a beacon, the beacon updates and gives you the effect and like one secnound later, it gets removed from you. it's like a circular flow :D
  19. So thats what was going on... I was so confused.

This update does not care who is nearby you, only your own level when you hit it,and level 1 gives you a damage boost, so its likely that enderman was not on its last bit of life.
    607 likes this.
  20. Okay, so I'm mainly interested about the loot.
    1. So Vanilla mob drops are really not affected? I've heard a lot of stories about people killing passive mobs/slimes on 10 and getting tons of loot.
    2. What new items are there, such as bread, and who drops them?
    3. Is there a "loot guide" that shows what drops on what level, including new drops like bread/diamonds? This would help me plan miniboss fights and such better.