Player Based Difficulty Released! "Play Your Way"

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Apr 26, 2014.

1. I'm wondering if you're the only one having this issue? I haven't noticed a decrease in drops. I wonder if anyone else has?

Also, are you using a sword with looting? The book isn't that expensive and it makes a big difference.

Anytime you need something repaired, just bring it to me and I'll repair it for you. You just have to provide the tool and the diamonds I'll provide the xp and the anvil.
  2. Not so much me as my equipment. ;)
    MrsWishes likes this.
  3. Um yea, I have a "few" books :D And I also have a faster way to get xp than endertopia. But ty
  4. Endertopia is all well and good for supporters, for the rest of us there is nothing. And we can't even try to make something that could compete with Endertopia now.
  5. Grinders still behave exactly the same as they did 2 months and 8 months ago. They have esssentially remain unchanged. Grinder mobs have never given custom EMC drops, and we have not touched vanilla drop rates either.

The only difference with this system is that non grinder mobs got BETTER rewards, making them more worthwhile to hunt instead of using grinders.

Now, if anyone is upset that I haven't given any bonuses to grinder users... sorry, that will not be happening.
  6. I stay on lvl 5, and when I do use my grinder, the (vanilla)mobs are always resisting. I dont recall that ever happening from b4 the diff settings came into play
  7. Build yourself a pigman grinder. They have to be the easiest grinder to build and mine works great! Besides, gold beats ender pearls any day.
  8. I do not care about drops, I NEED exp. Mobs resist being killed in "grinders" as Aikar calls them. They DO NOT act the same, when the mob resists being attacked how does that = the same as it has been? It doesn't. I don't care about token, gems, dragons, whatever. This is a build game that requires exp, killing mobs is the best way to get it. So until a balance is worked out, it appears I am done on EMC. Since "play your way" is not my way, it seems I have been forced to leave.
  9. I have a pigman grinder and I've never had one resist. I didn't know what resist was until I read this thread.

You do know that you can just go out into the dark and kill all the mobs you want, right? I don't understand why you feel that you need a grinder. Killing mobs in the wild really isn't all that hard. It may not be as quick as a grinder but I don't see how it would be game breaking.
  10. There are industrialists and adventurists in this game. Many of us in the industrialists camp greatly value efficiency.
    Pab10S, Luckygreenbird and dresden72 like this.
  11. I
    As aikar said, vanilla things aren't affected. I believe xp also counts in thus category and is not affected. The resisting should just be a cosmetic thing to you since you don't care about the special loot. For you, it should be the same as it has always been.
  12. Hmm, he means in it takes more effort to kill them.

A mob can only resist if it was a ranged attack... That was put in place to help keep false positives from ruining loot pools.

Are you not 1 shotting mobs? As stuff like this should only trigger on 2+ hits.
  13. I noticed the change the other day while running a darkroom spawned and dropped to one hit style grinder.

Some of the mobs were being really troublesome. They were in fact 'resisting'. I wasn't expecting any bonus loot and I'm pretty sure I am on level 4 or 5. So it takes many hits from a regular sword and I eventually started shooting them with arrows which seems to work around the 'resisting' and actually kill them. There seems to be some additional circumstances for this to happen because I was only having this problem sometimes. I think these may have been mobs that spawned in the kill chamber or landed in water and didn't take damage. I understand the 'no farming custom drops' thing, but this is a 'new' behavior. I can't say when it started because I haven't been using this type of setup on a regular basis, but needed some arrows.

I did not notice any change in regular drops from what I had seen for many months, so my setup may be different enough to not have that result. With a little adjustment I was able to reduce the number of troublesome mobs, so hopefully most players are finding ways to work with it.
    dresden72 likes this.
  14. I just spent the last 3 days hunting enraged mobs (real days not minecraft days) and there's really something off with the drops. I didn't keep track of the enraged mobs I killed (big mistake) but maybe Aikar or someone can go through my records and check. Anyhow, it was a lot. I ended up with 13 diamonds, 2 golden apples, and some shiny flesh and arrows. For the amount of enraged mobs I killed, this was pathetic. For the first time since I've been playing, I actually had to buy diamonds to repair my armor. You know what the really weird thing is? I didn't get one single emerald. I used to get lots of them. Emeralds used to be the booby prize. You didn't get any diamonds from a drop but at least you got some emeralds. Now you don't even get them. It's the same with golden apples. I used to get a lot of them and now it's down to 2 in 3 days??

I argued with Mage when he said that enraged mob drops were pathetic. I did it because I went out after his post and had a really productive day. Unfortunately, That was the last "good day" I've had. I don't know if he jinxed me or what. :p

I know there's a lot of randomness to the drops but you'd think that over the course of 3 days, my luck would've changed. At this point, I'd have to consider the profession of "Mob Hunter" dead.

I agree with you 100 % about the regular drops. I was actually laughing about it. I was shooting mobs with my bow (no looting enchant) and about 98% of everything I killed dropped something. Vanilla drops are off the hook! The problem is, you can't make a living selling strings and bone. Have you checked the prices lately? Gunpowder is a little better but you still aren't going to sell enough gunpowder to repair you armor.

Please Aikar, we're not being greedy. I just really don't want to have to mine for a living. :confused:

P.S.
    I was playing on lvl 5 the whole time.

Update:
    After I made this post I logged on in the wilderness. I fought 5 enraged mobs within 10 minutes and this is what I got:
    8 Emeralds (surprise!)
    15 shiny flesh (which is pretty decent)
    3 shiny arrows
    Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be?

I would suggest maybe decreasing the spawn rate and increasing the drops?

The enraged mobs are really cool! I mean when you see them out in the wild it's like how cool is that! It just seems that when you kill one, you should have the same reaction for what it drops. When you kill one and you're like "wow that sucks" it kinda defeats their purpose. You know what I mean?

Anyhow, that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :)
    607 and Luckygreenbird like this.
  15. Whenever I try to kill an enraged in a grinder that me and a couple of friends have, it says the same thing of how it resisted the attack. I tried killing it with a sword and shooting it but I just got it resisted.
    dresden72 likes this.
  16. Because that's meant to be so for enrageds :) To avoid grinding them.
    Luckypat likes this.
  17. Ok when I said ranged only, I was slightly confused myself when reading the code - the resist code applies to mobs that have ranged attacks (as they are more vulnerable to false positives)

I have filed a bug here: http://track.empire.us/issue/EMC-533 and will fix it soon so that farms and < 7 difficulty won't be affected by the system.
  18. This is awesome :cool: